Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Cleveland Gets Hand as Arm to Boost Bullpen

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:20 AM

Had to have a little fun with the headline on this one :)

Cleveland is acquiring Brad Hand from San Diego, per The Athletic. Here's a link to the MLB Trade Rumors post, which will be updated as details emerge. Hand, a product of Chaska High School, has made it to the All-Star Game back-to-back seasons. In three years with the Padres, the lefty has a 2.66 ERA, 1.04 WHIP and 3.94 K:BB ratio.

This should be a huge boost to a Cleveland bullpen that has the second-worst ERA in baseball at 5.28.

UPDATE: Cleveland is also getting Adam Cimber a right-handed reliever who has a 3.17 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and 5.10 K:BB ratio in this, his rookie season. The sliver lining for Twins fans is Francisco Mejia is heading to San Diego.

Rated as the No. 15 prospect in all of baseball by MLB Pipeline, Mejia was Cleveland's best trade chip. That means 1) This is more than likely the biggest addition Cleveland will be able to make (though they do have some other attractive pieces on the farm), and 2) This will also more than likely be looked back upon as just an absolutely terrible trade by Cleveland. Hard to imagine cashing in a top catching prospect for two bullpen guys and feeling good about it five years later.

• nicksaviking, snepp, Monkeypaws and 4 others like this

#2 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:26 AM

I liked this only because I found your wording funny. Not because I like that Cleveland traded for Hand.
  • Twins33 and Tom Froemming like this

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,599 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:28 AM

Mejia always sounded like a guy they'd never part with; pretty surprising. I like how San Diego gave up their big trade chip in Hand but also tossed in another fringy but MLB ready player to get the prospect they wanted. If the Twins start moving parts I'm all for bundling some other parts to increase the haul.

• Mike Sixel, Monkeypaws, Sconnie and 5 others like this

#4 gman

gman

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:30 AM

Looks like Hand has a three year contract following this year including an option year. That's too bad, but I'm happy to see that Cleveland traded Francisco Mejia.They've been too successful at developing players recently for future Twins hopes.

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,007 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:35 AM

Wow, that's quite the get for SD.......wow.

And, of course CLE was going to add to its RP corps. 

• Twins33, jokin, PseudoSABR and 1 other like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#6 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:38 AM

If there was any hope beforehand, it better be gone now. Admit it. The season’s done.
  • Dman and Jham like this

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,534 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:46 AM

Wow, that's quite the get for SD.......wow.

And, of course CLE was going to add to its RP corps. 

That theory about the outsized value of catching prospects is about to be severely tested.

Makes me think CLE "thinks" they know something no one else knows about Mejia?

Either that or SD must have the same talent scout that the Nats used to pluck Ramos from the Twins for MadCapps?

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,007 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:50 AM

That theory about the outsized value of catching prospects is about to be severely tested.

Makes me think CLE "thinks" they know something no one else knows about Mejia?

Either that or SD must have the same talent scout that the Nats used to pluck Ramos from the Twins for MadCapps?

Theory with NO actual information other than observation:

The Twins don't play Garver much....CLE didn't play Mejia much and traded him.......does our FO feel the same about the relative value of defense and offense for catchers as CLE? 

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#9 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,534 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:59 AM

Theory with NO actual information other than observation:

The Twins don't play Garver much....CLE didn't play Mejia much and traded him.......does our FO feel the same about the relative value of defense and offense for catchers as CLE? 

The Twins have a long history of love affairs with both ML and MiLB catchers that they think, apparently, can hit but can't catch. Harper, Suzuki, Pinto, Murphy, Garver and most recently, spending a 2nd Rd pick on Ryan Jeffers (when no scouting service had Jeffers in the top 200- Jeffers has only played C in 9 games so far in Rookie Ball).

Edited by jokin, 19 July 2018 - 10:00 AM.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#10 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,007 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:00 AM

The Twins have a long history of love affairs with both ML and MiLB catchers that they think, apparently, can hit but can't catch. Harper, Suzuki, Pinto, Garver and most recently, spending a 2nd Rd pick on Ryan Jeffers (when no scouting service had Jeffers in the top 200- Jeffers has only played C in 9 games so far in Rookie Ball).

Only Jeffers was acquired by this FO......and Garver isn't playing 60% of the time, still. So, ya, I considered what you said, and still posted what I did.

It's not like Castro is a GREAT hitter, he was/is a great framer.....

#11 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,921 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:01 AM

Looks like it cost Cleveland an arm and a leg.

• nicksaviking, jokin, snepp and 10 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#12 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:03 AM

So the gist of the situation seems to be that Francona is happy with the catching combo of Yan Gomes and Roberto Perez and they're not as sold on Mejia's defense back there. So they've been working him in the outfield quite a bit in the minors, which Mejia may not have been 100 percent on board with, but I'm not sure. Either way, they weren't anxious to mix him in behind the dish.

I really don't feel like Adam Cimber adds much value to this deal, despite his solid numbers so far. He's going to be 28 in less than a month, is a junkballer (averages 87 mph on his fastball), is getting killed by lefties (.960 OPS in 69 PAs) and never was all that great in the minors (which explains why he didn't debut until he was 27).

• jokin and bluechipper like this

#13 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:12 AM

With this deal helping bolster Cleveland's bullpen and the Twins being out 7.5 games.Cleveland has 10 games before the deadline and the Twins have 11.To not be sellers at the deadline what is the magic # of games back the Twins need to be?

I say the Twins need to make up 3.5 games in the next 11.It will be tough, especially with 4 against Boston in Boston, but I think 4 games back at the deadline would be my magic #.

#14 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:20 AM

I really don't feel like Adam Cimber adds much value to this deal, despite his solid numbers so far. He's going to be 28 in less than a month, is a junkballer (averages 87 mph on his fastball), is getting killed by lefties (.960 OPS in 69 PAs) and never was all that great in the minors (which explains why he didn't debut until he was 27).

Cimber is a sidearmer, though. Those guys don't always need velocity to succeed.

Obviously he's the lesser piece in this deal, but could be a helpful one to Cleveland.

#15 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:23 AM

I've always gotten a bit of a Jesus Montero vibe when considering prospect Mejia....
  • Han Joelo and Vanimal46 like this

#16 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,534 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:23 AM

Only Jeffers was acquired by this FO......and Garver isn't playing 60% of the time, still. So, ya, I considered what you said, and still posted what I did.

It's not like Castro is a GREAT hitter, he was/is a great framer.....

But the Institutional Memory still lingers in this franchise.

Garver NOT playing 2/3rds of the time is downright strange to me in a lost season.

I still will never forget management/scribes justifying the trade of Ramos for Capps as: "Ramos will never play much here anyway..."

I campaigned for acquiring Jason Castro with the old regime. Credit new management for signing the best catcher available instead of trading away the future.

Too bad they didn't have two RPs available that CLE coveted? :)

Jansen (TOR), Ruiz/Smith (LAD) available for their current/future needs.

A's have near-major league ready catching prospect (Murphy- a different one!) and have current needs the Twins can fill.

• Mike Sixel and Sconnie like this

#17 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,534 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:29 AM

Cimber is a sidearmer, though. Those guys don't always need velocity to succeed.

Obviously he's the lesser piece in this deal, but could be a helpful one to Cleveland.

He's definitely better than some of the current Indians BP dreck. Out of 30 teams, only the Royals have a worse bullpen than CLE.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#18 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,508 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:41 AM

I've always gotten a bit of a Jesus Montero vibe when considering prospect Mejia....

That's a good 'Remember this guy?'... He's 28 and playing in a league down in Mexico now.

I forgot he was once a top 5 prospect in baseball from 2010-2012.
  • jokin and bluechipper like this

#19 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:46 AM

Looks like it cost Cleveland an arm and a leg.

But the question now becomes do the Twins just HAND Cleveland the division at this point?

• Mike Sixel, nicksaviking, jokin and 3 others like this

#20 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,007 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:50 AM

He's a much, much, better hitter.....IMO.