Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Top 10 Prospects: Season in Review

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...eason-in-Review

#2 COtwin

COtwin

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

I'd say you did very well with your projections. Benson and Wimmers were just plain unfortunate. Thanks for the update.*

#3 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:42 PM

Any idea where Buxton and Berrios fit in next year?
Some people are putting Buxton in front of Sano. But I would disagree.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:17 AM

Benson, Wimmers and Salcedo's down years are very much injury-related. Hopefully they can all work through their rehabs/recovery and come back next year.

I think Buxton and Berrios start next season in Beloit. I think it would be good for Buxton to go play in Elizabethton some more for his development. I could certainly see a scenario where both went to Extended Spring Training, but both moved up to Beloit before the short-seasons start. For Berrios, it would be to control his innings. And, if they're in Beloit, they may not want him throwing in 30 degree weather.

I can't put Buxton ahead of Sano at this time either.

#5 Harrison Greeley III

Harrison Greeley III

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

"Assuming his age is legit...."

I hope this is the last time I ever read this, but I know we'll hear it throughout his career. It's very convincing in Pelotero that he did about 5 times what's expected out of most players to prove his age. And even then most teams shied away. It cost his family a good chunk of money and he'll probably never escape it even though it was only rumor-mongering by a corrupt scout trying to scare the Yankees and Red Sox away.

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

I hope this is the last time I ever read this, but I know we'll hear it throughout his career. It's very convincing in Pelotero that he did about 5 times what's expected out of most players to prove his age. And even then most teams shied away. It cost his family a good chunk of money and he'll probably never escape it even though it was only rumor-mongering by a corrupt scout trying to scare the Yankees and Red Sox away.

+1. He had to go through so many more tests than anyone. The Twins couldn't have asked him to do more, and he couldn't have done any more tests. He's the big name, but he's certainly not the only minor leaguer, only Twins minor leaguer, or even the only person on this Top 10 list whose age has been questioned for years. It's an unfortunate thing that every Dominican or Venezuelan player deals with in the same way that every player who played in the big leagues from the late '80s to the mid-'00s is questioned about the Steroid era.

#7 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

As the phrasing states, my default assumption is that his age is legit. Unfortunately, because of his physical maturity and the fact that no test has been able to prove his age beyond a shadow of doubt, it will remain a talking point. I don't think you'll hear it throughout his career, but while he's putting up historic power numbers as a teenager in leagues filled with more experienced players, it's a thought that will inevitably linger.