Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Six Twins Featured on MLBTR's Top 75 Trade Candidates

eduardo escobar brian dozier fernando rodney zach duke jake odorizzi
  • Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,668 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

Adrianza can play 3B the rest of the year if need be.
Or a random AAAA waiver claim.

Or the Phillies can toss in Plouffe when they trade for Escobar ;)

• Kevin, Sconnie, Dman and 4 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#22 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,844 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:49 AM

You get a like only for your very dark sense of humor! :)
  • Thrylos and Sconnie like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#23 killertwinfan

killertwinfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:40 AM

The table is set for a big run the second half to clip Cleveland.First step is for management to signal their lack of belief by dumping the closer and then we'll take off.  

• nicksaviking, 70charger, Danchat and 3 others like this

#24 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:40 AM

I wonder why Lynn isn't higher on the list??He had a poor start but has pitched better recently, he'd look good as a 5th starter for some team.Plus being a free agent, I would think the Twins would be motivated to move on from him. In my mind he has a lot better chance of being traded than Odorizzi.

I'd rank the likelihood of being traded as Duke 95%, Lynn 80%, Rodney 60%, Dozier 50%, Escobar 20%, Odorizzi 10%, Gibson 5%. Just my opinion. Its going to take a good offer to pry loose Escobar or Gibson,and they have another year of control on Odorizzi and Gibson.Starting pitching wins.

• jun likes this

#25 snap4birds

snap4birds

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:08 AM

I wonder why Lynn isn't higher on the list??He had a poor start but has pitched better recently, he'd look good as a 5th starter for some team.Plus being a free agent, I would think the Twins would be motivated to move on from him. In my mind he has a lot better chance of being traded than Odorizzi.

I'd rank the likelihood of being traded as Duke 95%, Lynn 80%, Rodney 60%, Dozier 50%, Escobar 20%, Odorizzi 10%, Gibson 5%. Just my opinion. Its going to take a good offer to pry loose Escobar or Gibson,and they have another year of control on Odorizzi and Gibson.Starting pitching wins.

I think it's because of his salary.It seems there were several ranked higher that they mentioned had salaries of $6 million or less.They did mention if the Twins are willing to eat some of his salary, he'd be higher on the list.

#26 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:41 AM

The table is set for a big run the second half to clip Cleveland. First step is for management to signal their lack of belief by dumping the closer and then we'll take off.

Sometimes a Front Office must fire a manager or trade a popular player to get the team's attention and rededicate the team in a "we'll show them" sort of way.

#27 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:43 AM

Most of the contenders need a decent #4 starter type or two.To me lynn is gone.Will be interesting on whether Twins make a major deal or not.Because of Escobar's track record to date, feel the offers will not be enough to get the Twins to move him.Dozier wants to test FA, so I think unless the Twins make ground in the next 10 days, he will also be moved. Along with the relievers. 

#28 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:44 AM

Given the organizations frustrations with Sano and with Machado off the market, he is the guy I'd be calling on if I'm another GM. At least to see. Machado's return would be a decent bench mark I'd think.
  • ChrisKnutson likes this

#29 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:54 AM

Plooooooooofffffffffffffffff!

Nice to see he got called up by the Phillies.

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#30 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,340 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:11 AM

I wonder why Lynn isn't higher on the list??He had a poor start but has pitched better recently, he'd look good as a 5th starter for some team.

Because some of these writers don't have the time to really examine what a player has done through the season, they just scan stat lines.

Lynn has been better than a fifth starter since April. Much better. If you exclude the solitary disaster start he's had since the end of April, his ERA is around 3.2 in 12 starts. It looks a lot worse at a glance because he had one horrific 1.2 IP start in early July.

• Mike Sixel and Twins33 like this

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,022 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:39 AM

Because some of these writers don't have the time to really examine what a player has done through the season, they just scan stat lines.

Lynn has been better than a fifth starter since April. Much better. If you exclude the solitary disaster start he's had since the end of April, his ERA is around 3.2 in 12 starts. It looks a lot worse at a glance because he had one horrific 1.2 IP start in early July.

And, he makes twice as much money as some of the other choices, which, as we saw with the twins giving a way a draft pick for 7.5MM in savings, does matter.

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,022 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:01 AM

Not sure which thread this goes in.....

https://www.theringe...hillies-brewers

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#33 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:39 AM

Can we staaaaahp trying to push this notion that his wife having another kid = likely retirement?I have seen it in several threads now.Unless Joe has come out and said anything regarding it, it's just pure speculation and just rumor spreading at this point.If Joe has come out and addressed this and I have missed it, then disregard this.

I can say that having a third small child screaming and destroying the house makes it much more likely that Joe would NOT want to retire.

Or, um, maybe I shouldn't say that actually. I love my kids!

• ashburyjohn, Twins33, Riverbrian and 1 other like this

#34 killertwinfan

killertwinfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:39 AM

Sometimes a Front Office must fire a manager or trade a popular player to get the team's attention and rededicate the team in a "we'll show them" sort of way.

Seems like we play our best with less expectations. I hope something positive happens. It is too long to wait for football.  

• Jham likes this

#35 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:45 AM

I wonder why Lynn isn't higher on the list??  

That list was a bit misleading, it wasn't really a ranking. The authors lumped all of the Twins together because they was getting hesitant about the Twins actually selling. Familia and Britton are ranked ahead of Brad Hand. Realmuto is ranked 16th. For some reason they are conflating "Top Trade Candidates" with "Most Likely to Get Traded". The title is misleading, most people would read that head line and think it's a ranking based on talent.

• Riverbrian likes this

#36 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,180 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:15 AM

Wow, selective endpoints AND cherrypicking, all in the same post. Well done. :)

And in the linked article, the writer cited Lynn's improved recent performance and his July 1st disaster start.

• Danchat likes this

#37 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:49 PM

I'd guess most starters stats look a lot better if we simply remove all of their bad starts.
  • Mike Sixel and Twins33 like this

#38 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,340 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:21 PM

I'd guess most starters stats look a lot better if we simply remove all of their bad starts.

Removing bad starts to make a guy look good is a bit different than saying “this guy has been really good for 2.5 months if you wipe out ONE awful start”.

Because what’s more valuable, a guy who pitches to a 4.3 ERA consistently or a guy who posts a 3.2 ERA and grenades once every dozen or so starts?

At this point, I think ignoring Lynn’s April is pretty easy, as we all know why it happened (and I hope it teaches future players to take a contract and not miss even one damned day of Spring Training).

#39 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,022 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:30 PM

I also think averages kind of stink for starting pitchers. 2 or 3 horrible starts make your averages look bad, even with 10 good ones.....I'd be pretty happy to get that ratio.....

#40 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

This is a weird take. The Twins aren't terrible while huge swathes of baseball are absolutely putrid this year.

The Twins also have a nice mix of good young players which they are obviously not going to trade.

You want to talk about how little they think of some teams? The Royals are the worst team in baseball and have two players on the list.

The Orioles are in a virtual lock with the Royals and have six players, though (obviously) of higher value than the Twins (again, because the Twins aren't trading everything on the roster while the Orioles basically need to move 25 players if possible).

The White Sox are the third worst team in baseball and have three players on the list.

Gibson is in the same contract status as Odorizzi and not mentioned. Likely as unobtainable as Tallion and the Mets starters but still worthwhile as a player and even mentioned as consideration. Many of the infielder/utility types ar no better than Adrianza Ryan Pressly is as good as some of the right handed veterans mentioned. The likelihood of any of these teams trading more than 2 playersabove fire sale prices that have team control left is slim.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eduardo escobar, brian dozier, fernando rodney, zach duke, jake odorizzi