Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Six Twins Featured on MLBTR's Top 75 Trade Candidates

eduardo escobar brian dozier fernando rodney zach duke jake odorizzi
  • Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:42 PM

MLB Trade Rumors released its list of the Top 75 MLB Trade Candidates At The All-Star Break, and quite a few Twins were listed. Here's the methodology: "Essentially, we’re ordering players based upon our assessment of both their trade value and likelihood of being dealt."

You'll have to click the link above for the full details, but here's where our guys landed:

18. Eduardo Escobar

19. Brian Dozier

20. Fernando Rodney

21. Zach Duke

29. Jake Odorizzi

72. Lance Lynn

Also, Addison Reed got a mention under the disabled list section. No mention of Joe Mauer, I'm guessing they don't see it being very likely that he'll be dealt.

• glunn, Mike Sixel, Cory Engelhardt and 1 other like this

#2 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:02 PM

Twins President and CEO Dave St. Peter was on WCCO with Dave Lee this morning. Here's what he had to say about the trade deadline:

"We have some opportunities to potentially take a look at how we can make our team better, not just in the short term but ultimately over the long term, to try to have the type of franchise that's a perennial contender. Some of those moves may be popular, some of those moves may not be popular but I can assure you Derek Falvey and Thad Levine are working the phones very hard, they have been the past few weeks, and I'll be very surprised if we go into the trade deadline and stand pat."

• nicksaviking, Sconnie and Platoon like this

#3 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:03 PM

That there is only 6 listed on the list . Consider they have pre arbitration players on the list They have 13-14 different teams on the list(harangue with the number if it matters).6 players would be an average number. As crappy of season as Lynn and Odorizzi are havingthe bar was not set too high for being available. It would be likely any player not named Joe or Jose and Rosario would be available for the right package as Merrifield is claimed to be. To have so few players with the bar set that low shows how little they think of the players assembled this year.

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,297 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:14 PM

bit surprised Gibson isn't on the list.

• Mike Sixel, PseudoSABR, blindeke and 1 other like this

#5 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:17 PM

It's funny how everyone assumes Mauer is not a trade candidate.Why?It's got to be either because he's not worth anything or because he'd nix any deal?

He would be THE classic example of a rental that could return immediately to the renter (assuming both parties like the idea).In the event that the Twins are sellers, they would go to Joe first as Joe has the no-trade.He could kill the potential deal in it's tracks...in the event that he didn't feel a 3-month commitment was worth a chance at his first WS.

• Platoon likes this

#6 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:21 PM

bit surprised Gibson isn't on the list.

Yeah, I'm guessing he falls into that Mauer category of they don't think he'll be dealt.

We know thanks to Joel Sherman that the Twins have been "said to be open to" trading Gibson, but it's possible the asking price is unrealistic. The Twins have every incentive to value Gibby at his current performance level, but maybe other teams have no interest in paying that price for a guy who had a long track record of struggles. Just a theory.

• Blake, Mike Sixel, diehardtwinsfan and 4 others like this

#7 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,061 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:49 PM

It's funny how everyone assumes Mauer is not a trade candidate. Why? It's got to be either because he's not worth anything or because he'd nix any deal?

Yes.
  • USAFChief, Blake, gunnarthor and 2 others like this

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,061 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:54 PM

Now that Machado is on his way to LA, maybe the losers in the sweepstakes calls about Escobar and Dozier.

Duke is probably out the door since he's a breathing left handed pitcher.

Rodney is a possibility I guess. Lots of RH relievers on that list though.
  • Sconnie, Dman, operation mindcrime and 1 other like this

#9 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,716 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:01 PM

There's a very short list of people who know if Mauer would agree to a rental to a contender. I am not on it. In a way I wish he would, it would be nice to see him have a shot. But I am sure getting to a WS with another team just doesn't have the same ring to it as if it was the Twins.
  • Mike Sixel and Twins33 like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#10 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:14 PM

Yeah, I'm guessing he falls into that Mauer category of they don't think he'll be dealt.

We know thanks to Joel Sherman that the Twins have been "said to be open to" trading Gibson, but it's possible the asking price is unrealistic. The Twins have every incentive to value Gibby at his current performance level, but maybe other teams have no interest in paying that price for a guy who had a long track record of struggles. Just a theory.

Yeah the Twins would be asking for a top 100 prospect and an extra guy or two thrown in to make that deal.That's a steep price to pay hoping that Gibson continues to perform the rest of this year and next.If he had a better track record it would help.

Also I think the Twins would be reluctant to give him up without a generous return because having Gibson, Romero and Berrios in the rotation next year sounds better than just Berrios and Romero.I know Pineda might come back and be good but hard to know for sure.Feels safer with Gibson in the mix next year.

Who knows though.Strange things happen around the deadline.

• Oldgoat_MN, jun, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,575 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:23 PM

It's funny how everyone assumes Mauer is not a trade candidate.Why?It's got to be either because he's not worth anything or because he'd nix any deal?

He would be THE classic example of a rental that could return immediately to the renter (assuming both parties like the idea).In the event that the Twins are sellers, they would go to Joe first as Joe has the no-trade.He could kill the potential deal in it's tracks...in the event that he didn't feel a 3-month commitment was worth a chance at his first WS.

Mauer is expecting a third baby this off-season and will likely hang his cleats. His options (and he has a full no trade clause) is to remain a lifetime Twins' player or to play for someone else going after a title maybe.

Not sure what he values the most.It is his deal.

• Blake likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#12 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,872 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:53 PM

Mauer is expecting a third baby this off-season and will likely hang his cleats. His options (and he has a full no trade clause) is to remain a lifetime Twins' player or to play for someone else going after a title maybe.

Not sure what he values the most.It is his deal.

Can we staaaaahp trying to push this notion that his wife having another kid = likely retirement?I have seen it in several threads now.Unless Joe has come out and said anything regarding it, it's just pure speculation and just rumor spreading at this point.If Joe has come out and addressed this and I have missed it, then disregard this.

• Puckett34, nicksaviking, blindeke and 1 other like this

#13 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:10 PM

Can we staaaaahp trying to push this notion that his wife having another kid = likely retirement?I have seen it in several threads now.Unless Joe has come out and said anything regarding it, it's just pure speculation and just rumor spreading at this point.If Joe has come out and addressed this and I have missed it, then disregard this.

OK, but this post and its entire thread are all speculation. Some people like it.

• Thrylos and Sconnie like this

#14 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:12 PM

Considering St.Peter's quote above, and seeing the value isn't gonna be great for most of these guys, the question is who looks like spare parts if the Twins want to sell some and remain relevant at the same time.  

Odorizzi and Lynn for sure if Erv gets back soon. Give Romero, Meija, Gonsalves a chance.

Duke. He's been solid, but Moya has been incredible at Rochester this year and could get that lefty BP slot. 

Keep Rodney - cheap, and a club option, plus keeps Belisle from inheriting the role. 

Keep Dozier and Escobar - EE is the best chip, but also the hardest to replace. Qualifying offers, draft picks, all sounds good to me.

I would trade all of them though if the offer was too good to resist.

• jun likes this

#15 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:44 PM

Shppose it is just a coincidence that four Twins are ranked consecutively or is it more likely that whoever put the rankings together is lazy?

I actually think Escobar is the least likely to be traded. There is no one else to play third the rest of the year and probably not beyond this year. I don’t think Sano is back before September, if at all this year. Buxton either. And I definitely think Sano will not play third base regularly ever again. Maybe in a pinch, but he’s simply that bad there.
  • jun, KidBro and Strato Guy like this

#16 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,143 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:09 PM

That there is only 6 listed on the list . Consider they have pre arbitration players on the list They have 13-14 different teams on the list (harangue with the number if it matters). 6 players would be an average number. As crappy of season as Lynn and Odorizzi are having the bar was not set too high for being available. It would be likely any player not named Joe or Jose and Rosario would be available for the right package as Merrifield is claimed to be. To have so few players with the bar set that low shows how little they think of the players assembled this year.

This is a weird take. The Twins aren't terrible while huge swathes of baseball are absolutely putrid this year.

The Twins also have a nice mix of good young players which they are obviously not going to trade.

You want to talk about how little they think of some teams? The Royals are the worst team in baseball and have two players on the list.

The Orioles are in a virtual lock with the Royals and have six players, though (obviously) of higher value than the Twins (again, because the Twins aren't trading everything on the roster while the Orioles basically need to move 25 players if possible).

The White Sox are the third worst team in baseball and have three players on the list.

• Danchat and Sconnie like this

#17 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:39 PM

Shppose it is just a coincidence that four Twins are ranked consecutively or is it more likely that whoever put the rankings together is lazy?

I actually think Escobar is the least likely to be traded. There is no one else to play third the rest of the year and probably not beyond this year. I don’t think Sano is back before September, if at all this year. Buxton either. And I definitely think Sano will not play third base regularly ever again. Maybe in a pinch, but he’s simply that bad there.

Personally I like the odds of Escobar getting moved.Philadelphia , Arizona and Milwaukee all could use help up the middle and are in tight races.Esco's versatility and hitting fits nicely for each team.They might have to pay more in prospects than they would like but I think a deal gets done.

Escobar's value will never be higher than it is now.Might as well get something for him and if the Twins love him so much they can sign him in the off-season to a nice deal.I assume he will command starter money though so we better really like him.

The Twins can use a utility player or bring Sano back to cover third for the rest of this season if needed.

• beckmt, Sconnie, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#18 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,765 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:42 PM

This is a weird take. The Twins aren't terrible while huge swathes of baseball are absolutely putrid this year.

The Twins also have a nice mix of good young players which they are obviously not going to trade.

You want to talk about how little they think of some teams? The Royals are the worst team in baseball and have two players on the list.

The Orioles are in a virtual lock with the Royals and have six players, though (obviously) of higher value than the Twins (again, because the Twins aren't trading everything on the roster while the Orioles basically need to move 25 players if possible).

The White Sox are the third worst team in baseball and have three players on the list.

i gotta think the Sux only have 3 because they are unlikely to trade any of their cornerstone types, much like the Twins.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,143 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:44 PM

i gotta think the Sux only have 3 because they are unlikely to trade any of their cornerstone types, much like the Twins.

Sure, and that's fair.

#20 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:57 PM

Adrianza can play 3B the rest of the year if need be.
Or a random AAAA waiver claim.
  • blindeke and operation mindcrime like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eduardo escobar, brian dozier, fernando rodney, zach duke, jake odorizzi