Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins, OAK a good match? Gibson & Odorizzi available

trade rumors lance lynn kyle gibson jake odorizzi.
  • Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:50 AM

Some interesting trade news floating around this morning.

-Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle seems to be connecting the dots that the A's and Twins would make a lot of sense as trade partners:

"There could be a few options that pique the team’s interest, Minnesota’s Jake Odorizzi and Lance Lynn, perhaps. The A’s aren’t going to be looking for top-line, Jacob deGrom-type starters; they’ve carefully assembled a strong minor-league system with all their midseason deals the previous three years. So taking on some contract from a team out of the running might be their best shot."

-Joel Sherman of the New York Post passed along some Twins pitching notes:

"One team that potentially could move starters of all different ilks is the Twins. They have Lance Lynn, who is a free agent after this season. Ervin Santana, who has a $14 million option for 2019 and has yet to pitch in the majors this season after February finger surgery. But he made another minor league rehab start Sunday against the Yankees’ Triple-A squad, yielding a homer to an also rehabbing Gary Sanchez. Santana allowed three runs and struck out seven in 5 ²/₃ innings.

The Twins are said to be open to trading Jake Odorizzi or Kyle Gibson, who both can be free agents after 2019. Gibson is particularly interesting in his best year, averaging nearly a strikeout an inning and inducing ground balls better than 46 percent of the time."

• glunn and Cory Engelhardt like this

#2 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:00 AM

Do due diligence to determine distinct do-do from definitely doable different Dozier dumps.

Dang.

None of this was about Dozier.  I alliterally chose the wrong letter.

The Ringer has an excellent article about deadline deals toDay.  The odds are not in the favor of the dumper, generally.

• 70charger, spycake, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#3 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:25 AM

Sure, I'll take any living human for Lance Lynn at this point.

• Thrylos, PseudoSABR, Danchat and 7 others like this

#4 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,765 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:34 AM

Do due diligence to determine distinct do-do from definitely doable different Dozier dumps.

Dang.

None of this was about Dozier. I alliterally chose the wrong letter.

The Ringer has an excellent article about deadline deals toDay. The odds are not in the favor of the dumper, generally.

3ECA04EF-C5DE-4923-B0C1-3ED34235B9F7.jpeg

Edited by Sconnie, 16 July 2018 - 10:36 AM.

• Han Joelo likes this

#5 Tomj14

Tomj14

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:43 AM

I would trade Jake Odorizzi, Lance Lynn or Santana.

Not ready to trade Gibson, but if the FO has given up on Sano and Buxton for next year then trade everybody not named Berrios.

#6 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:47 AM

Gibson is the only one in that group that I'd entertain keeping, and even then I'm not holding on too tightly.

They won't get anything valuable for Lynn & Odorizzi, but they won't have to sell high draft picks to move on so thats a win right? If somebody wants to gamble on Erv before he throws a single inning in the majors this season I'm not sure how/why the Twins would say no.  

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#7 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:52 AM

In order, my preference of trading pitchers: Lynn, Santana, Odorizzi, then Gibson. Obviously, you listen if the deal offered for Gibson is a monster, so orders of preference probably don't mean much.

Especially from me because they never invite me to any of the FO meetings, so they likely won't even consider my input.

• Twins33, LA VIkes Fan, KidBro and 1 other like this

#8 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:54 AM

If somebody wants to gamble on Erv before he throws a single inning in the majors this season I'm not sure how/why the Twins would say no.  

I read it more like, the Return of Erv could make it easier / more likely to deal another starter.

There's also the August trade period for Erv too.

#9 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:13 PM

Rotation for 2018

Santana

Berrios

Gibson

Odorizzi

Lynn

Romero

and in reserves, Mejia, Slegers, Littell, Gonsalves

Rotation for 2019

Berrios

Gibson

Pineda

Romero

Odorizzi

with Mejia, Slegers, Thorp,Stewart, Gonsalves Littell

plus any free agents 

so we have plenty of flexibility to trade a starting pitcher. I would be surprised if we didn't trade at least one.Even if we decide not to sell we should probably trade one of our pitchers this season.  

I think the smart play on Santana is to see how he finishes the year and pick up his option then trade him if he pitches well. for some reason I think he will and i think he will be worth a 1 year 14 million contract.especially if we eat some of it to get a better prospect.  

• Kelly Vance, LA VIkes Fan, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#10 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,061 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:15 PM

Sure, I'll take any living human for Lance Lynn at this point.

Concur. He doesn't even have to be breathing! But that would be a plus.
  • nclahammer likes this

#11 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:24 PM

Remember a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush leagues.
  • USAFChief, glunn, Jerr and 9 others like this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#12 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:28 PM

I guess what I'm saying is that guys we have control over we already know that they can compete in MLB, the guys that we aren't sure about, other teams also know that they aren't sure about them either. Guys that are on their way out anyway like Lynn and or Dozier etc... Might as well look for something for them. But a guy like Gibson, you could bring in a haul 3 or 4 dudes if you have wishful thinking and all of them could end up out of baseball in 2 or 3 years. So to me it's kinda hard to deal a guy that you know you can control for another year for something that isn't a sure thing ever?? JMO

Edited by Twodogs, 16 July 2018 - 12:29 PM.

• ToddlerHarmon likes this

#13 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:29 PM

Remember a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush leagues.

I guess, if you don't really think about the future, and the fact some of these guys won't be here (or healthy, or good) in the future.

It's also a very risk averse way to run your life....which is fine.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#14 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:34 PM

I guess, if you don't really think about the future, and the fact some of these guys won't be here (or healthy, or good) in the future.

It's also a very risk averse way to run your life....which is fine.

But you are risking something you know to be pretty decent for something that could be junk? Now I'm not saying don't do anything, like Eduardo Nunez was a good move we probably weren't going to get him back anyway? So that goes for Dozier and Lynn and Escobar, trade them for something. But Gibson is kinda iffy to me, he's been solid for half of last year and all of this year. Based on what you are saying trade Berrios, he's worth more and he might not be healthy in the future?? Why would you be so risk averse to trading him?

Edited by Twodogs, 16 July 2018 - 12:36 PM.

• glunn and NewClearHarley like this

#15 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:34 PM

I would think the A’s would be interested in Lynn as they shouldn’t have to give up too much to get a solid 5th starter.They might like Odo as well since he wouldn’t be a rental.Who knows with Odo the A’s might be able to build back value and get a nice return for him next year.If the A’s are in it I bet they will come calling.

• glunn likes this

#16 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:36 PM

But you are risking something you know to be pretty decent for something that could be junk? Now I'm not saying don't do anything, like Eduardo Nunez was a good move we probably weren't going to get him back anyway? So that goes for Dozier and Lynn and Escobar, trade them for something. But Gibson is kinda iffy to me, he's been solid for half of last year and all of this year. Based on what you are saying trade Berrios, he's worth more and he might not be healthy in the future?? Why would you be so adverse to trading him?

are you actually asking if I am suggesting trading a player with 4-5 years of control left, who is young, and will (hopefully)be here in a window of contention?

#17 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:43 PM

are you actually asking if I am suggesting trading a player with 4-5 years of control left, who is young, and will (hopefully) be here in a window of contention?

He might not stay healthy? He's coming off an all star selection he's worth a lot right now, if your thinking about the future? Of course I'm being a little bit over the top here, but I'm saying you have control over Gibson still, he's been very good. Most likely probably about 60 to 70 percent likely you will not get anyone back that will replace him in the rotation. Trade those other guys for sure, but I'm kinda leaning like Gibson should be a fixture in the rotation for next year. So maybe you have a shot at something next year.

#18 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:48 PM

He might not stay healthy? He's coming off an all star selection he's worth a lot right now, if your thinking about the future? Of course I'm being a little bit over the top here, but I'm saying you have control over Gibson still, he's been very good. Most likely probably about 60 to 70 percent likely you will not get anyone back that will replace him in the rotation. Trade those other guys for sure, but I'm kinda leaning like Gibson should be a fixture in the rotation for next year. So maybe you have a shot at something next year.

This team has about a 10-20% chance to be relevant next year, based on what people thought going into this year.

Right now, they have no 2B, no 3B, no 1B, and I'd argue no DH signed for next year that is in the majors. Sano will take one of those.....the 2B they will probably lose has been their best player.....

They have good 3 starting pitchers, and, what, 3 RPs under contract for next year?

Their starting catcher is likely to be a mid-30s player coming off a major injury.

I sympathize with those that want to hold out hope for next year, I just don't share it.

And, if your answer is FA, go look at the list, and think about if the Twins have ever outbid the rest of the league for the top players at any position....like C or SP.

• glunn, KidBro and rv78 like this

#19 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:52 PM

I read it more like, the Return of Erv could make it easier / more likely to deal another starter.

There's also the August trade period for Erv too.

Good call on August, I didn't even think about that. If they don't move him at the end of the month maybe a contending team makes a call into August. 

I'm not sure Erv's return makes the July decision any easier though. If this FO decides to make a playoff push (and I'm not saying they should) then based on the expected meager returns for Lynn, Odorizzi, ect, it would seem the Twins would be better off holding onto the arms. I'm not sure the team's plans one way or another will/should rely on Erv in any capacity. 

• glunn likes this

#20 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:01 PM

I think we have to trade Lynn even if we can only get an A Ball lottery ticket in return. We should open up an audition spot for the AAA guys to see what we have for next year. I'd be thrilled if we could get anything of value for Odorizzi.He looks like the standard fourth or fifth starter at best and I think at least one of the AAA guys will meet or exceed that standard.

I don't see a good reason to trade Gibson unless we are blown away by the return. I'd rather spend the time trying to re-sign him to a reasonable 3 year deal. Failing that, take the remaining year of arb and you can still trade him at the deadline next year. Same for Santana, minus the 3 year deal of course. 

• glunn, Mike Sixel and lukeduke1980 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trade rumors, lance lynn, kyle gibson, jake odorizzi.