Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 11, TB 7: Dozier Grand Slam Ends Wild Game, First Half

brian dozier eduardo escobar jake cave trevor hildenberger eddie rosario
  • Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#81 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,637 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:53 PM

236 ABs, .212 .529 OPS and 4, yes, 4 RBI gives me reason to give up.

He could be playing with a nagging injury, he might be scuffling for any number of reasons. I simply don't have enough information to definitively declare what should be done with him.

And it's enough of a borderline case where I'm not going to get upset about it.

#82 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,637 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:54 PM

Any team that intentionally tanks is, IMHO, misguided. The draft is way more of a crapshoot in MLB than it is in other sports. Tanking simply doesn't result in a significant reward and a team with a good scouting department should be able to draft well at any point in the first round.

Yeah... no. The first five picks do not have the same chance of success as the 23rd pick.

And the first couple of picks have an even larger advantage.

You're right that the MLB draft is more unpredictable but it's not entirely unpredictable.

• alarp33 likes this

#83 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,626 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:56 PM

He could be playing with a nagging injury, he might be scuffling for any number of reasons. I simply don't have enough information to definitively declare what should be done with him.

And it's enough of a borderline case where I'm not going to get upset about it.

Unless they start giving relievers pink slips from the 40 man there is very little room and options to call up for position players.

Are they going to call up someone with his production this year?

Why don't they replace with someone who's doing well in AAA and has a legit chance to be on the 40 man regardless this winter?

#84 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,978 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:03 PM

Any team that intentionally tanks is, IMHO, misguided. The draft is way more of a crapshoot in MLB than it is in other sports. Tanking simply doesn't result in a significant reward and a team with a good scouting department should be able to draft well at any point in the first round.

I don't think the high draft pick is the ultimate goal. Right now with the Astros, Cubs, Phillies, Braves as examples... It's hard to argue against the strategy. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#85 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,726 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:04 PM

The Astros built a WS champion by intentionally tanking.
IMO, a team that isn't close to contending and doesn't tank is misguided.
Drafting high is a huge advantage in MLB, especially because of how the bonus pool is allotted.
  • alarp33 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brian dozier, eduardo escobar, jake cave, trevor hildenberger, eddie rosario