Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 11, TB 7: Dozier Grand Slam Ends Wild Game, First Half

brian dozier eduardo escobar jake cave trevor hildenberger eddie rosario
  • Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,862 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:42 PM

I was at the game. Great game to watch, but not some kind of masterpiece. Probably the right call to pass both Mauer and Rosario, but Dozier had to have some extra incentive at that point.

As far as the Cave play, his foot went across the plate before he was tagged, but the replays didn’t show clearly when any part of his foot touched the plate.
  • glunn and Nine of twelve like this

#22 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:44 PM

I took my 3 year old son to his first game today. He did pretty well until about the 8th inning (which was over 3:10 from first pitch) so we left after the Twins gave up the lead. Heard them take it back on the radio, then I got home just in time to see them blow the lead in the 9th, then Dozier's slam. Would've been great to see the slam in person, but 4.5 hrs for a ten inning game just ain't happening for a 3 year old. Glad they could pull this one out- would've been a shame to let it slip away as much as they battled.

• glunn, Blake, scottz and 8 others like this

#23 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 6,438 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:44 PM

I found time to gather some video on the benches-clearing incident and the Cave out call at the plate. The article has been updated. Crazy stuff, what a wild game.

Cash should get fined/suspended, he incited the whole thing, not Escobar, and the video reviewer in New York should be fired. I don't understand how they couldn't get that call right on replay. Even the Rays catcher when he was watching on the video board seemed to acknowledge that the call was more than likely going to be overturned. 

Yeah, I thought I saw Cash mouthing off from the bench. That's bush league crap and managers shouldn't be lipping off like Cash was.

And if Cash called for that pitch at Escobar, that's a bunch of crap.

• glunn, Dantes929, jun and 3 others like this

#24 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 6,438 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:47 PM

It feels really good to be mad at the other team for a change, lol. 

One more update: The Twins apparently didn't challenge that Cave was safe, per @MLBReplays, they were challenging that catcher Jesus Sucre blocked the plate. 1) That's embarrassing for the Twins/Molitor. 2) It's embarrassing for MLB to have such a ridiculous review system. Why can't you simply review whether or not the call was right? Why so specific? It's trash.

Good grief, it's almost like Molitor got a win despite his best efforts.

• Riverbrian likes this

#25 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:47 PM

I found time to gather some video on the benches-clearing incident and the Cave out call at the plate. The article has been updated. Crazy stuff, what a wild game.

Cash should get fined/suspended, he incited the whole thing, not Escobar, and the video reviewer in New York should be fired. I don't understand how they couldn't get that call right on replay. Even the Rays catcher when he was watching on the video board seemed to acknowledge that the call was more than likely going to be overturned. 

Similarly, it looked like Escobar's verbal response after the strikeout was in response to one of their defenders mouthing off. 

#26 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,269 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:48 PM

He's also in a tough spot. In those six appearances, he's come in in the 2nd three times and 4th or 5th twice. That's a hard role to predict, because the manager is in a constant state of "I'd rather not use him today in case I'm going to need him early tomorrow." Somebody's got to be that guy, and it looks like it's Magill right now.

If they were rostering guys with options, though, they wouldn't have to worry about that. For example, Moya throws 40 pitches, and the rest of the pen is taxed too? Option him for Duffey. Or a AAA starter. Then rinse and repeat.

I don't think our pen is good enough or deep enough to hold a non-optionable guy in reserve all the time, and I'm also not sure Magill is good enough or has enough potential to warrant that kind of investment in him either.
  • glunn, Riverbrian, Dman and 4 others like this

#27 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,748 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:48 PM

Per the post-game show, Rodney needed to leave the stadium by 3:15 because of a citizenship appointment.

Always good to know the whole story before assuming the MOY screwed up...

I'm actually disappointed because I thought that Molitor broke his mold and did a little out of the box fancy managin'. 

• glunn, mickeymental, Platoon and 1 other like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#28 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 2,531 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:50 PM

Wow that's terrible, Tom! Seriously...might be bad on Molly, but also on whoever is telling him how/what to challenge.

Great ending to a crazy and often frustrating game...9-2, I will take it.

#29 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,269 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:53 PM

2) It's embarrassing for MLB to have such a ridiculous review system. Why can't you simply review whether or not the call was right? Why so specific? It's trash.

I think it is to discourage some of the more frivolous challenges. Otherwise, you would get more teams challenging plays just hoping the umpires find something.

I don't like the manager challenge system in general (I'd prefer everything initiated by the replay official), but if you are going to do it, this seems like a reasonable part.
  • Riverbrian likes this

#30 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,748 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:56 PM

Magill is out of options. I suppose he could clear waivers, but it's not so easy to shuttle him between Minnesota and Rochester.

However, I don't think the criticism is about using Magill, per se. It's more like, if we're not going to use him, why do we keep him? The rest of our pen isn't good enough to support that. I think I'd rather use Magill's spot to rotate through Moya, Curtiss, Duffey, etc. Maybe even break in a AAA starter.

Yep... It's a 25 man Roster. I'm getting tired of Molitor treating roster spots like the NHL treats those accountants who serve as Emergency Goalies. 

Founded 4-23-16 

#31 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:01 PM

After yesterday's somewhat ugly loss, losing today would have really put a damper on what was otherwise a good home-stand

I feel like if it were the 1980's Mauer and Go-Go could have stared in a sitcom of two unlikely roommates with slightly different personalities:

https://twitter.com/...603114541166592

• Riverbrian and jkcarew like this

#32 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:04 PM

Putzing in the yard with the radio on, when the Twins made a mini-threat in the 9th, Provus made the comment “and a lot of fans are still here!”...as if the idea of fans sticking around for the 9th inning of a tie game was extraordinary...an afternoon game at that. But, he’s right in this case. The 3rd out of the 9th inning was recorded at 4:18 minutes. Even without the bench-clearing shenanigans, this was 9 innings in over 4 hours. Embarrassing for baseball.
  • bluechipper, Hosken Bombo Disco, Heezy1323 and 1 other like this

#33 jun

jun

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:07 PM

I just saw the stats: 

this season when RISP Escobar bats .367 with 5 homers and 43 RBIs.

That's clutch.

Dozier is absolutely clutch in this game.

#34 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,269 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:21 PM

Putzing in the yard with the radio on, when the Twins made a mini-threat in the 9th, Provus made the comment “and a lot of fans are still here!”...

My favorite Provus comment, he initially mis-identified Busenitz warming up as Belisle, and quickly corrected himself, as if he realized that Belisle warming could suddenly cause him to lose a significant portion of his listening audience. :)
  • Han Joelo, Highabove, Riverbrian and 6 others like this

#35 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:21 PM

If they were rostering guys with options, though, they wouldn't have to worry about that. For example, Moya throws 40 pitches, and the rest of the pen is taxed too? Option him for Duffey. Or a AAA starter. Then rinse and repeat.

I don't think our pen is good enough or deep enough to hold a non-optionable guy in reserve all the time, and I'm also not sure Magill is good enough or has enough potential to warrant that kind of investment in him either.

I can buy that argument too. And maybe the shuttle has begun -- it looks like they just sent Romero back down. 

#36 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,269 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:26 PM

I can buy that argument too. And maybe the shuttle has begun -- it looks like they just sent Romero back down.

Well, I'd prefer the shuttle not come at the expense of the starters. After the all star break, we don't have any off days until August, so there are regular starts available, and Mejia and Romero at least are interesting enough that either could deserve a few turns.

If the 5th starter pool was Slegers, Enns, etc., you could probably rotate them with relievers.
  • Original Whizzinator likes this

#37 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,748 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:27 PM

It feels really good to be mad at the other team for a change, lol. 

One more update: The Twins apparently didn't challenge that Cave was safe, per @MLBReplays, they were challenging that catcher Jesus Sucre blocked the plate. 1) That's embarrassing for the Twins/Molitor. 2) It's embarrassing for MLB to have such a ridiculous review system. Why can't you simply review whether or not the call was right? Why so specific? It's trash.

Ump: We got a challenge on that play at home. 

New York Guy: Yep, I've reviewed the tape. Frame 278 taken from Camera A which is the overhead camera clearly shows that the runner crossed the plate before the tag. Camera B shows that his foot touched the plate and was safe on the play. You can take your headset off and make the safe call. 

Ump: Wait... Hold On... They are not challenging the out call. They would like to challenge if the catcher was illegally blocking the plate. 

New York Guy: Seriously... Just tell him that he should challenge the out call instead. I don't want to review it again... He was safe. This game is already behind schedule and I got an immigration appointment in Miami tomorrow. 

Ump: Hey Paul... Are you sure you want to challenge the blocking of the plate?

Paul: Yeah... His foot was in the way.  

Ump: He wants to challenge the catcher blocking the plate. 

New York Guy: OK then... the rule states that the catcher can't block the plate unless he has possession of the ball. Video review clearly shows the ball entering his glove for possession of the ball and not leaving his glove which further indicates possession of the ball. Call Stands. 

Ump: Out

Paul: What you mean out. He was clearly safe. 

Ump: Yes he was safe but the call is out. 

Paul: Ok. 

• glunn, Dantes929, Taildragger8791 and 1 other like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#38 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,748 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:36 PM

Ugly game or not... I absolutely enjoyed it. 

As for the bench clearing stuff... It doesn't matter to me who started it or what started it. I like it when the Twins show a little attitude. 

• glunn, Dozier's Glorious Hair and mngopherguy like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#39 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:05 PM

The Rays got mad that Dozier celebrated forcing a balk? Lame.

Dozier celebrated a balk huh?Irony is rich there, but the hypocrisy is the least surprising part of the whole display of nonsense.  

• glunn, Riverbrian, Jham and 1 other like this

#40 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,665 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:09 PM

I think it is to discourage some of the more frivolous challenges. Otherwise, you would get more teams challenging plays just hoping the umpires find something.
I don't like the manager challenge system in general (I'd prefer everything initiated by the replay official), but if you are going to do it, this seems like a reasonable part.

Just have a fifth ump in the press box who decides what and when to review what and when.

I thought the idea was to get the call right.
  • Riverbrian and snepp like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brian dozier, eduardo escobar, jake cave, trevor hildenberger, eddie rosario