Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Bollinger: Led by Sano, Twins Improve on Top 100 lists

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

lol!

:banghead:

#32 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

LOL - yeah.....because we all know that there has never been a case where an 18 year old dominated rookie ball and then flamed out at higher levels. That was the point - a lot can happen between Rookie Ball and AAA, so I personally don't get too excited about prospects until they move a little higher up the ladder. And for the record, Shooter was 21 not 22 when he was drafted - not that it matters to my point. But for someone who starts off posts accusing others of not knowing what they are talking about....you would think they'd get their own posts right - lol!

I'm the first one to remind people not to get carried away regarding Berrios but you seem to be disregarding him because he hasn't played at a high enough level yet. He has really good stats AND he has a really good scouting report.

And lets be honest a 43% K rate while walking 4 total batters is something that I haven't seen from an 18 yr old even if it is in rookie ball. full season ball will be his first big test but there are legit reasons to be excited about him.

#33 Buck Nasty

Buck Nasty

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

LOL - yeah.....because we all know that there has never been a case where an 18 year old dominated rookie ball and then flamed out at higher levels. That was the point - a lot can happen between Rookie Ball and AAA, so I personally don't get too excited about prospects until they move a little higher up the ladder. And for the record, Shooter was 21 not 22 when he was drafted - not that it matters to my point. But for someone who starts off posts accusing others of not knowing what they are talking about....you would think they'd get their own posts right - lol!

I'm the first one to remind people not to get carried away regarding Berrios but you seem to be disregarding him because he hasn't played at a high enough level yet. He has really good stats AND he has a really good scouting report.

And lets be honest a 43% K rate while walking 4 total batters is something that I haven't seen from an 18 yr old even if it is in rookie ball. full season ball will be his first big test but there are legit reasons to be excited about him.

It just comes down to how much value you put into smaller sample sizes at lower levels. The last 18/19 yr old to rack up similar numbers at Elizabethon was probably Alex Smit. His second year (age 19) he racked up 0.81 WHIP and a 16.95 K/9. It's worth getting excited about. But it seems we both agree a full season in A ball will tell us a lot more about a player than Rookie level does.