Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Sano working hard

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,830 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:46 AM

Good story in Sano

http://m.startribune...m_mid=100785609
  • Han Joelo, Thrylos, Mike Frasier Law and 6 others like this

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,784 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:53 AM

Nice to hear he's working hard and bought into the midseason intervention.

I'm still not sure if I want to see him in Minnesota this season. It's nice to hear his progress, but I'd also like for him to come back healthy, lost a bunch of weight, and motivated to crush MLB pitching.
  • Twins33, SF Twins Fan, wsnydes and 1 other like this

#3 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,830 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:57 AM

The article did point out that his lack of conditioning hurt his ability to repeat his swing and that he is working hard to fix that. Proud of him taking the demotion so well and doing the work. Hopefully this will be a lifestyle change.
  • Carole Keller, Thrylos, Jerr and 5 others like this

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,784 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:05 AM

The article did point out that his lack of conditioning hurt his ability to repeat his swing and that he is working hard to fix that. Proud of him taking the demotion so well and doing the work. Hopefully this will be a lifestyle change.

I hope so too. A rejuvenated, in shape Sano would be huge for the organization. Nobody else has the power potential he possesses.
  • Mike Frasier Law and SF Twins Fan like this

#5 nclahammer

nclahammer

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:09 AM

Hopefully he'll be back in "Sano-time at all" at the hot corner, helping to lead a much-improved second half for the Twins.

• Thrylos, Mike Frasier Law and jimmer like this

#6 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,485 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:14 AM

Ah, Spring Training, always nice to read the feel-good stories from Ft Myers about how har-... wait, what?

• Carole Keller, USAFChief, Thrylos and 13 others like this

Everyone hates me because I got cured of paranoia and they didn't.

#7 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,170 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:23 AM

Agreed.It shows a level of maturity as well.That's got to be a tough thing to hear and take and it could be an easy situation to go completely sideways.Credit goes to him for handling it like an adult, accepting responsibility, and working hard on what they want him to accomplish.Hopefully he takes this in stride and he becomes a better all around person and player.Sometimes, a wake up call is all that is needed.

• Mike Frasier Law and SF Twins Fan like this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#8 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,153 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:34 AM

We're pulling for you, Sano-zee.

• Thrylos, Jerr, Mike Sixel and 6 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#9 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:49 AM

I pointed out some mechanical deficiencies when he was first demoted. I don't know if they were conditioning related (some stemmed from the previous season) but he definitely has work to do there.

• Carole Keller and jkcarew like this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#10 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 739 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:51 AM

I’ve been wondering when we’d get any kind of update on Sano. Doesn’t surprise me that he’s being a good teammate and displaying a good attitude.

Maybe he was rushed back after the surgery and a less than ideal off season?

I hope he gets back to the Twins healthy, happy and raking.

#11 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 603 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:54 AM

Hopefully he'll be back in "Sano-time at all" at the hot corner, helping to lead a much-improved second half for the Twins.

On the other hand, after his next error the headline could be "Sano melts at hot corner." :)

• nclahammer likes this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#12 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:18 AM

Ah, Spring Training, always nice to read the feel-good stories from Ft Myers about how har-... wait, what?

Hopefully he'll report to the Twins "in the best shape he's ever been in".

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, Mike Sixel and 3 others like this

#13 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:13 PM

Let's hope he makes those changes and continues those after the season ends. I don't expect to see him back up here this year. But, I'd love him to prove me wrong.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#14 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,527 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:48 PM

I think he’ll be up after the Fort Myers season is over. I guess I don’t know for sure, but I would think they would be pretty much shut down at that point. Do they have players or staff there year ‘round?

#15 jkcarew

jkcarew

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:13 PM

I pointed out some mechanical deficiencies when he was first demoted. I don't know if they were conditioning related (some stemmed from the previous season) but he definitely has work to do there.

Agreed.Mechanics and approach.Whatever the material impact is of his conditioning, it's only part of the challenges he'll need to address.He sure seems to genuinely enjoy the game and his teammates...was hard to see him failing; when he's not smiling seems like a shadow is cast across the entire dugout.

In a strange way, his 'lack' (slightly reduced would be a better term) of power so far at Ft. Myers actually encourages me that serious work is underway rebuilding the swing and approach.I'll never be worried about his in-game power.  

#16 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,903 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:17 PM

Good luck. We're all counting on you.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#17 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,476 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:25 PM

Do they have players or staff there year ‘round?

Pretty much.After the MiLB seasons end, instructionals start.They take a break from second half of Dec & Jan (when they have stuff that does other things like adult and kids camps and fantasy camps etc,) and then there is ST.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98