Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: 2018 Twins Midseason Top Prospect List: 6-10

zack littell wander javier akil baddoo brent rooker trevor larnach
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,077 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:11 AM

Having an injured player who is not playing this year in the top ten is something I do not understand.Larnach needs to be there because of his draft status, but otherwise I have no idea if he is good or not and we have seen players like Levi Michaels demonstrate that draft position does not insure excellence.I keep hoping Rooker will zoom to the bigs, but like Sano and others I concern myself with the horrible strike out rate. 

We had Kirilloff in the Top 5 last year, and that turned out to be a pretty good decision. So, we're all completely comfortable with where we've ranked Wander Javier. 

• Mike Sixel, Twins33, PseudoSABR and 5 others like this

#22 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,258 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:20 AM

I was going to write this, so thank you. One correction, I believe, is that a player gets something like a minimum ten days credit each time he is recalled. The PA rightfully wanted to make sure clubs didn't abuse their ability to shuttle players.

I think this is incorrect. Players can't be recalled for 10 days after they've been optioned unless there is an injury or a doubleheader. That limits shuttling. But the players themselves don't get any extra service time credit when they are not on the roster.

For example, every source I have seen on Felix Jorge shows only 2 days service time for him in 2017:

https://www.baseball...jorgefe01.shtml

https://www.rosterre...innesota-twins/

Like Littell, he was up for a doubleheader, then up for a single day/appearance after that.
  • MN_ExPat likes this

#23 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,258 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:23 AM

The way we have handled Littell's call ups reminds me of our how we handle Jorge - who we DFA'd. The call ups and handling made no sense.

Actually transactions for those two guys have made good sense.

The ones that haven't made sense are failing to option Romero and Mejia after their last starts.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#24 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:24 PM

And suspense builds for the Top 5.

Will Kirilloff surpass Gordon as the second best position player?Or maybe even move above Lewis?

Who will be the #1 pitcher, Gonsalves or Graterol?

I am anxious to see what you have for us.

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#25 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:26 PM

Thank you for these articles. As you pointed out, despite the quality of the group, none of these prospects will meaningfully help the 2019 Twins. Sigh.

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,900 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:05 PM

Thank you for these articles. As you pointed out, despite the quality of the group, none of these prospects will meaningfully help the 2019 Twins. Sigh.

Littell and Rooker both could help next year. I have some doubts about both, but they should be in position to do so.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#27 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:16 PM

Will Kirilloff surpass Gordon as the second best position player? Or maybe even move above Lewis?

Kiriloff has about as much chance as passing Lewis as I do.

#28 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,077 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:55 PM

Will Kirilloff surpass Gordon as the second best position player?Or maybe even move above Lewis?

I'm so excited too... I mean, I'm writing it and I don't even know how the rankings will turn out. OK, I do, but you all will want to look at the individual rankings because there isn't a lot of consensus, and there is upside, so to me, that's exciting! 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#29 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:26 PM

Personally, I'm not as high on Gordon or Gonsalves as some folks are.

I'd have them on this page (6-10) and have Rooker and Larnach on the upcoming page (1-5).

I'd go:

7) Gordon

6) Gonsalves

5) Rooker

4) Larnach

3) Kirilloff

2) Graterol

1) Lewis

• rdehring likes this

#30 twinstalker

twinstalker

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:07 AM

That Gordon will be in the top 5 to me is ridiculous. He'll eventually, like five years from now, maybe be a second division major leaguer. He'll be mostly terrible getting there, and there will be angst we didn't try to sign Dozier to a reasonable deal over that period.

Pending news on why Thorpe left his game early, these are your top five:

Lewis, Kirilloff, Graterol, Thorpe, and somebody to be named who is not Gordon. Certainly, the combination of Littell and Gonsalves is a fantastic number 5, if we could do it that way. ;-)But I'd take anyone with a high upside ahead of Gordon, maybe starting with Larnach.

• rdehring likes this

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,900 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:31 AM

That Gordon will be in the top 5 to me is ridiculous. He'll eventually, like five years from now, maybe be a second division major leaguer. He'll be mostly terrible getting there, and there will be angst we didn't try to sign Dozier to a reasonable deal over that period.

Pending news on why Thorpe left his game early, these are your top five:

Lewis, Kirilloff, Graterol, Thorpe, and somebody to be named who is not Gordon. Certainly, the combination of Littell and Gonsalves is a fantastic number 5, if we could do it that way. ;-)But I'd take anyone with a high upside ahead of Gordon, maybe starting with Larnach.

I'll take that bet. I'm guessing he's a league average MIF for at least five years of his career (barring injury of course).

• gagu likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#32 Einstein1

Einstein1

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:42 AM

Does anyone know when Larnach going to start playing in games? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: zack littell, wander javier, akil baddoo, brent rooker, trevor larnach