Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins, Brewers Talking Trades

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:57 AM

Re: Character - see my earlier post regarding Ardolis Chapman. I don't really think there's much of a correlation, Dozier may be a great guy but it hasn't exactly translated to his team winning a bunch of games

While the front office (at least during the draft) repeated they like high character guys no one seems to be able to identify who all the low character guys are. How many low character guys do we need to get rid of on the Twins team? Since about 99% of the players get labeled high character guys I guess the term loses all meaning for me.High character does not appear to something that is in short supply in baseball.Due to that fact the term is for all intents and purposes meaningless as far as I can tell.

Yeah I get the one bad apple and all but rarely do you see it have much influence at least not that I can tell.Yep everyone has different personalities some easier to deal with than others but when it comes to playing the game they all want to win and if a player doesn't work at his craft there is always someone better waiting to take their place. 

Typically the bad character angle comes up when teams are losing.Yeah guys are not going to be happy losing and there is a lot of pressure to perform.That can boil over some but I don't think it has to do with bad character just wanting to win and be a productive player.

Maybe their are red flag guys out there it just seems we don't hear about very many.I'd bet every player the Twins have has high character can you name any that don't?

• Mike Sixel and alarp33 like this

#102 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,979 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:43 PM

Also in the aftermath of the Machado sweepstakes, the Brewers are left looking to acquire an infield upgrade. Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that they’re expected to explore trading for Twins second baseman Brian Dozier. With Minnesota all but out of the the AL Central race already and Dozier set to become a free agent at season’s end, he makes plenty of sense as a potential trade target for the Brewers, despite a down season so far. The Brewers are also expected to explore pitching upgrades, Rosenthal adds.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#103 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:03 PM

Dozier and Milwaukee should be a home run match made in heaven.The Brewers do like guys who can hit the long ball.Dozier would be a good fit for them if they can pry him loose from the Twins.

#104 NewClearHarley

NewClearHarley

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:49 PM

I have zero interest in paying Dozier 17MM next year. 

so you don't want a solid 2B that will produce a 80-20-80-10 line for $17MM next year. What second basemen do you intend to play that will produce those stats next year for less money (unless Gordon is ready - and even then his numbers will be nowhere near that in his first full MLB season)

• Einstein1 likes this

#105 twins_89

twins_89

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

If Dozier has a second half anywhere close to what he's done in the last couple of years, I'll be more than happy to give him a qualifying offer. If he accepts, the one year deal isn't going to hurt the club and they will still have the option to trade him at next year's trade deadline. If he declines, the Twins will get a fairly good compensation pick (which I would be happy with as well). To make a trade worthwhile, the value of the package coming back would have to match a 1st round compensation pick plus the value of Dozier for the rest of the season.

• NewClearHarley likes this

#106 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,979 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:10 PM

so you don't want a solid 2B that will produce a 80-20-80-10 line for $17MM next year. What second basemen do you intend to play that will produce those stats next year for less money (unless Gordon is ready - and even then his numbers will be nowhere near that in his first full MLB season)

I don't think there is one. Unfortunately.

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....