Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins, Brewers Talking Trades

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:14 AM

Got any favorites in Milwaukee's system?
  • glunn, Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and 3 others like this

#2 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:34 AM

Maybe Lutz for Esco but the prospects in the sweet spot 10 to 20 range just don't interest me.I think it is going to be tough to do a deal with the Brewers as they are heavy on Outfielders and low on young pitching.Lutz is likely too high for them to part with for a rental and that is lowest piece I would be interested in.Not that we need more young outfielders.Personally I don't see it happening.

If you ask me it is more of a negotiating ploy to see if they can get Baltimore to come down from their asking price.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#3 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,559 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:46 AM

Corey Ray.Get er done.

• Mike Sixel, Oxtung and markos like this

#4 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,903 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:47 AM

Plenty of players in the Brewers' system I'd rather have than a half year of Dozier, in a losing season. Plenty. RHP mostly.....but the more pitchers the better.

And, I'd happily take more OF, they can either replace guys the Twins have, or be used in future trades if needed (or move to DH/5th OF). 

• Twins33, Oxtung, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,903 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:51 AM

I'd deal Dozier and Gibson for Keston Hiura and a random player in the 100-200 prospect range. I doubt Milwaukee does that....so I'd aim lower, like Corey Ray or one of their many RHP in A+ or AA

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,784 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:56 AM

I'd deal Dozier and Gibson for Keston Hiura and a random player in the 100-200 prospect range. I doubt Milwaukee does that....so I'd aim lower, like Corey Ray or one of their many RHP in A+ or AA

Yeah... Hiura is #1 on John Sickels' prospect rankings in their org with a B+/A grade. That's a prospect reserved for a Machado, Thor, or DeGrom trade.

https://www.minorlea...spects-for-2018
  • Cory Engelhardt, SF Twins Fan and Respy like this

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,903 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:57 AM

Yeah... Hiura is #1 on John Sickels' prospect rankings in their org with a B+/A grade. That's a prospect reserved for a Machado, Thor, or DeGrom trade.

https://www.minorlea...spects-for-2018

ah, then he's higher than I thought! My bad, move on from that.....sigh.

#8 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

Plenty of players in the Brewers' system I'd rather have than a half year of Dozier, in a losing season. Plenty. RHP mostly.....but the more pitchers the better.

And, I'd happily take more OF, they can either replace guys the Twins have, or be used in future trades if needed (or move to DH/5th OF). 

Sure anything is better than nothing.I just think the Twins might be able to do better or match up better with another team.FWIW Corey Ray's write up on MLB is not real flattering.Looks like Palka with speed.Maybe Marcus Duplan at #11 would be something to build a Dozier trade around.Although Mechanics issue's and a high WHIP are concerns at least his floor is a bull pen arm.Maybe that is the best the Twins can do I don't know.I just don't love what they have in their system.

• Mike Sixel and SF Twins Fan like this

#9 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,485 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:17 PM

I want arms. MLB.com's prospect ranking for Brewer pitchers:

Corbin Burnes

Luis Ortiz

Freddie Peralta

Marcos Diplan

Adrian Houser

Cody Ponce

Caden Lemons

Sickels really likes Brandon Woodruff (who no longer qualifies as a rookie), slotting him after Burnes. Doesn't like Houser and Lemons quite so much. Whoever does the scouting for the OOTP game likes Lemons and Ponce a bit; they were both second-rounders in their respective drafts.

Peralta's doing well in the majors and Burnes just reached - probably the top four guys are all off the table for a trade of the magnitude the Twins would be talking about. If a veteran-plus-prospect package could pry one loose, I'd go for it. Otherwise, everyone I looked at is either too successful or has too many warts, for a Dozier trade, or especially Escobar. If the braintrust really likes someone far away like Lemons, that would work for me for Rodney, but might be difficult to sell to the fanbase and he isn't mentioned in this rumor.

• Dman and Respy like this

Everyone hates me because I got cured of paranoia and they didn't.

#10 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,903 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:25 PM

https://www.fangraph...waukee-brewers/

This is before their mid season update.....

#11 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:58 PM

https://www.fangraph...waukee-brewers/

This is before their mid season update.....

If you look at the list, the medium ranked guys have a lot of warts and the guys we might like are ranked too high for what Milwaukee would get in return.Maybe if they got prospects back from us we could grab someone higher but it is a tough match if you ask me.

I like Fangraphs write-ups better than MLB.More detail.Ultimately same result for me though I don't see a trade working unless no one else is interested in our guys.

#12 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:10 PM

What about Domingo Santana? Right-handed corner outfielder. 3 years of team control left. Struggled this year, but had a 125 OPS+ last year. Still only 25 years old. 

• Brandon and lukeduke1980 like this

#13 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,903 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:20 PM

If you look at the list, the medium ranked guys have a lot of warts and the guys we might like are ranked too high for what Milwaukee would get in return. Maybe if they got prospects back from us we could grab someone higher but it is a tough match if you ask me.

I like Fangraphs write-ups better than MLB. More detail. Ultimately same result for me though I don't see a trade working unless no one else is interested in our guys.

I'd think anyone, in any system, you get for Dozier will have warts.....but I understand your point
  • Dman likes this

#14 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:23 PM

I'd think anyone, in any system, you get for Dozier will have warts.....but I understand your point

There is enough of a market to trade him I think it is just a matter of what the return will be at this point.If I was Milwaukee I think I would overpay for Machado. They don't get this far very often they should do everything they can to win it all.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#15 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,784 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:31 PM

There is enough of a market to trade him I think it is just a matter of what the return will be at this point. If I was Milwaukee I think I would overpay for Machado. They don't get this far very often they should do everything they can to win it all.

It's the thing I love about Milwaukee. They aren't afraid to go for it in years like this when they're competitive.

They're the Kings of rental trades. Riding CC Sabathia like a mule in 2008... Zack Grienke before he became a Dodger... Now potentially Machado.
  • Dman likes this

#16 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:03 PM

It's the thing I love about Milwaukee. They aren't afraid to go for it in years like this when they're competitive.

They're the Kings of rental trades. Riding CC Sabathia like a mule in 2008... Zack Grienke before he became a Dodger... Now potentially Machado.

I totally agree.I love how they go for it.I know it didn't work out for them but they did everything they could to maximize their ability to win.I think they can afford to give up Ortiz and Phillips and maybe a third lotto ticket to get that deal done.That would be a pretty good return for a rental.I know Baltimore wants Burns but that seems like a stretch for a rental.

I guess if the price is too high then it makes sense that they are looking into a poor man's Machado in Escobar.If they get out bid then they should go hard for Esco as it looks like he is the next best thing and wouldn't be a costly as Machado.

#17 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:19 PM

If we make a qualifying offer to Dozier we get a pretty high draft pick right?Then to me, a half a season of a GG all star plus the high draft pick is the floor and a trade should be for someone that is fairly clearly better. Escobar is a bit tougher. Listen to all offers but it is reasonable for his stock to fall from this point to the end of the season.That would be the time to talk about signing him for more years.I am guessing he likes it here where he gets lots of playing time rather than as a utility guy.

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#18 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:23 PM

If we make a qualifying offer to Dozier we get a pretty high draft pick right? Then to me, a half a season of a GG all star plus the high draft pick is the floor and a trade should be for someone that is fairly clearly better. Escobar is a bit tougher. Listen to all offers but it is reasonable for his stock to fall from this point to the end of the season. That would be the time to talk about signing him for more years. I am guessing he likes it here where he gets lots of playing time rather than as a utility guy.

Unless Dozier heats up significantly, he'll be in no position to turn down a QO. So, no draft pick.
  • Mike Sixel, beckmt, Major Leauge Ready and 1 other like this

#19 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,903 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:23 PM

If we make a qualifying offer to Dozier we get a pretty high draft pick right?Then to me, a half a season of a GG all star plus the high draft pick is the floor and a trade should be for someone that is fairly clearly better. Escobar is a bit tougher. Listen to all offers but it is reasonable for his stock to fall from this point to the end of the season.That would be the time to talk about signing him for more years.I am guessing he likes it here where he gets lots of playing time rather than as a utility guy.

I have zero interest in paying Dozier 17MM next year. 

• darin617, beckmt, PseudoSABR and 4 others like this

#20 S.

S.

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:30 PM

Brian Dozier would be a fool not to take a QO and try to build his value back up. And we would be fools to offer him one.

• Mike Sixel, beckmt, TheLeviathan and 2 others like this