Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: KC 9, MIN 4: Slegers Slayed by Royals

aaron slegers logan morrison addison reed
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,409 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:18 AM

That wasn’t 20/20 hindsight, as I called it as it happened, saying “NO!” as he rounded second.

1. Alex Gordon has an arm on him.

2. Logan Morrison is very slow.

3. Never make the first out at third base.

4. The team was down by four runs.

5. Logan Morrison is very, very slow.

I don't have any scientific data to back this up, but it seems like this team runs on Gordon a lot.Considering how well they should know the Royals and Gordon in particular, this seems really odd to me.They seem to dare him to throw them out, and he most often does.

• Sconnie likes this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#22 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:31 AM

One good thing came out of this game, sort of. Finally!Reed on the DL, Busenitz up. Something was clearly wrong with Reed.

• Vanimal46 and mngopherguy like this

#23 slash129

slash129

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:08 AM

FS1 only gets one more game this season on August 15.This past game is a reminder to schedule something else that day and just listen to it on the radio.

#24 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,969 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:11 AM

That wasn’t 20/20 hindsight, as I called it as it happened, saying “NO!” as he rounded second.

1. Alex Gordon has an arm on him.

2. Logan Morrison is very slow.

3. Never make the first out at third base.

4. The team was down by four runs.

5. Logan Morrison is very, very slow.

6. The ball was hit to left field. I mean, sure, judge each play on its own merits; but the default should be stop at second unless you are very sure.

7. ???

8. PROFIT!

9. Logan Morrison is very, very, very slow.

• Brock Beauchamp and Mike Sixel like this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#25 slash129

slash129

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:25 AM

Why hasn't Reed spent time on the DL? If a pitcher has lost 3-4 MPH on his fastball over the previous year isn't that a classic tell tale sign that he's hurt?

Clairvoyant much there Vanimal?

https://www.mlbtrade...-10-day-dl.html

• Danchat, Vanimal46, Minny505 and 1 other like this

#26 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:12 PM

Slegers is a guy you just have to give a shot to even if it is a long one.Until you actually know, you cannot be sure how a player will perform.One of the critical things of rebuilding is giving players an opportunity and finding the ones that will not work out.

Remember, in 1982, the Twins starting CF was Jim Eisenreich.He had to be given his shot, and although it was unfortunate he could not work out here, his initial failure opened the door for Kirby.If the Twins don't rapidly advance Jimmy through their system, jumping him from a 1981 low A Wisconsin Rapids player, his 2nd minor league season, to the 1982 opening day starter in CF, they don't advance Puckett as quickly behind him (Kirby played in rookie ball in his 82 draft year, A+ in 83, AAA to majors in 1984).  

• Mike Sixel likes this

#27 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,439 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:21 AM

6. The ball was hit to left field. I mean, sure, judge each play on its own merits; but the default should be stop at second unless you are very sure.

7. ???

8. PROFIT!

9. Logan Morrison is very, very, very slow.

Yeah, the left field aspect of the ball has two elements worth noting:

- The runner gets a VERY good look at the ball and fielder

- The fielder has to make a 50 ft throw, not a 150 ft throw

Again, that play was all on Morrison and there’s a good chance it cost the Twins a shot at the win. Kennedy couldn’t pitch and a four run deficit can be overcome in 6-7 innings (can’t remember if it was the second or third when it happened).
  • ashburyjohn and Mike Sixel like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aaron slegers, logan morrison, addison reed