Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Get to know each other

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

Poll: Twins Daily on Social Media (62 member(s) have cast votes)

I follow Twins Daily on...

1. Twitter (6 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

2. Facebook (3 votes [4.84%])

Percentage of vote: 4.84%

3. Both (8 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

4. Neither (45 votes [72.58%])

Percentage of vote: 72.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:08 PM

1.) Where are you from?Grew up in Sleepy Eye, MN. Currently in St. Louis Park.

2.) Age Range? 47, but my kids ask me questions about what it was like in the 1800s.

3.) What brought you to Twins Daily?I do not recall.

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? I played through my age 15 summer. Decent glove, no hit. Thought I should spend more time on the golf course where I was good. I still play softball where our team age is pretty apparent these days. 

5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player, and if you want, favorite current Twins player? Favorite throughout the years of fandom: Willie Norwood, Hosken Powell, Bombo Rivera, Roy Smalley, Rob Wilfong, John Castino, John Butcher, Frank Viola, Kirby Puckett, Shane Mack, Greg Gagne (all the '87s, really), Denard Span, Johan Santana, Eduardo Escobar. Oh, and Bernardo Brito. What a great name.
Underappreciated: Shane Mack stands alone.

Current: Escobar.

6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors? Fangraphs, Baseball Reference, The Players Tribune. Non-baseball/sports: Kurt Vonnegut and Stephen King.

7.) Favorite Twitter follows? Never got into it. I like Instagram though.

8.) Other interests outside of baseball? Wife (1) and Kids (2), golf, poker, deer hunting for one or two weekends in November, stand up comedy, finding time to catch up with old and current friends.

9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily? Minor League Reports - by far my favorite, Game Reports - specifically, I love the bullpen pitch count and the game chart. I also like perusing the Forums.

10.) Tell us what we can do better. I love the idea earlier in this thread of getting a player (or, I'll add on, a front office-type) to do a Q&A.

11.) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events?" I haven't, but not for lack of interest. Life is busy, and although it would be nice to meet many of the people behind the screen names, I have a hard time making it a priority when competing with other options involving people more directly in my life. But I hope they continue to be successful and perhaps someday I'll get to one.

• Carole Keller and nicksaviking like this

#82 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:43 PM

My last HS PA ended in a HBP. The guy threw hard, but had no idea where it was going. His first warm up pitch went to the backstop. 2-0 count, he dropped down side arm and tried to spin one. It didn't spin and it hit me directly on the hip bone. I figure that since he couldn't hit the strike zone, he hit me instead.

I barely made it to 1B I was in so much pain. Trying to walk it off only made it worse, but there was no way I was coming out of the game. I still remember the pain as if it just happened. Walked with a limp for a few days. I imagine that it bruised the bone.My God that hurt.

So you went to Hollywood High- the high school of Ricky, “Wild Thing” Vaughn.
  • wsnydes likes this

#83 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:01 PM

6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors? I read the Economist every week cover to cover, which leaves little time for other authors (except TD, of course, one had to have priorities!)

I hate you. I’ve subscribed since 1991 and every week, there’s another 200 pages in 8 point type on Bolivian coffee futures. Cover to cover... I’m impressed
  • Han Joelo, Mike Sixel and gil4 like this

#84 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,778 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:01 PM

Seems like us former or current SLP peeps should have golfed together more often.....

• scottz and tvagle like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#85 AWOLNATION_11

AWOLNATION_11

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:14 PM

1.) Where are you from?Raised in Milroy, MN. Currently live in Marshall, MN.
2.) Age Range? Late 30’s
3.) What brought you to Twins Daily?Can’t recall, but know that once I found it I really liked it and made it part of my daily internet stops.
4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played?Two years in college.
5.) Favorite Twins Player = liked Dan Gladden as a kid for some reason.Favorite current Twins player = Eduardo Escobar.
6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors? FanGraphs, MLB Trade Rumors, whatever site Jon Heyman’s weekly ‘Inside Baseball’ column gets moved to.
7.) Favorite Twitter follows? Ken Rosenthal, Jon Heyman, Eno Sarris.
8.) Other interests outside of baseball. Hmm, seems after my daughter was born all these kind of evaporated.
9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily...Dig it all.
10.) Tell us what we can do better. What features or other topics would you like to see in-season or out of season? Keep on Truckin’
11.) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events?" Not yet, but would like to some day.

#86 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,491 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:17 PM

1.) Where are you from? Gaylord, MN -> LaCrosse, WI -> Chicago, IL -> Burnsville, MN -> New Ulm, MN -> Queen Creek, AZ

2.) Age Range? Mid 30s

3.) What brought you to Twins Daily? BYTO

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? High school

5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player, and if you want, favorite current Twins player? Kirby Puckett, Chuck Knoblauch, Jose Berrios

6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors?TheRinger, Fangraphs, Athletics

7.) Favorite Twitter follows? Do the species a favor, delete your Twitter account

8.) Other interests outside of baseball. - football, hockey, video games, mogul baseball games, working with kids, philosophy, law, politics

9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily... Forums

10.) Tell us what we can do better. What features or other topics would you like to see in-season or out of season?  Can't think of anything

11.) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events?"  Nope

#87 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,170 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:29 PM

So you went to Hollywood High- the high school of Ricky, “Wild Thing” Vaughn.

No, I played against him!:)

• ashburyjohn and nicksaviking like this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#88 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,669 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:33 PM

Young Blyleven and Carew were my first favorites. Bostock was next.

That team with Carew, Hisle, Bostock, Wynegar, Smalley, Goltz, etc. was a fun one to watch. It was a shame Griffith had to screw it up. I always wondered what that team could have done with competent ownership that added a few pieces.

• USAFChief, dbminn, Rigby and 1 other like this

#89 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,669 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:36 PM

7.) Favorite Twitter follows? Do the species a favor, delete your Twitter account

I probably would, but that would involve actually going to the Twitter site and figuring out how to do that. Ignoring it requires less effort.

• TheLeviathan likes this

#90 dbminn

dbminn

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:36 AM

That team with Carew, Hisle, Bostock, Wynegar, Smalley, Goltz, etc. was a fun one to watch. It was a shame Griffith had to screw it up. I always wondered what that team could have done with competent ownership that added a few pieces.

They were really fun! They needed at least one more starting pitcher. Instead, Calvin sells them off. I never forgave him for that. 

• gil4 likes this

#91 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:53 AM

Fun idea! Here is my stab at the questions:

1.) Where are you from? Born and raised in Orlando, Florida. And that's how I became such a big Twins fan. In those days (1960s through 1980s) the Twins had their spring training camp in Orlando, Plus, during the rest of the year we had the Orlando Twins, their AA minor league club. So, I got to see many of the players coming up through the system. Great memories. Since 1996 I have lived overseas, mostly in Thailand. So, I haven't been to any Twins games in a long, long time! In fact, the very last games I attended in the USA were games 6 and 7 of the 1991 World Series. Really. What a way to go out!

2.) Age Range? Late 50s

3.) What brought you to Twins Daily? I honestly can't remember! Probably doing some random Internet surfing and came across it. Lurked for serveral years before I started posting last year.

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? I played little league and pony league but I was awful. Never even considered trying out for my high school team. I was that bad.

5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player, and if you want, favorite current Twins player? For All-Time I'd probably go with Tony Oliva. Class act and great player whose career was cut short by injures. Underappreciated? I'd go with a relief pitcher like Stan Williams. Or for clutch, consistency and kookiness, Mickey Hatcher. I was also a big fan of Ron Washington when he was a utility player for the Twins. Always thought he'd make a good manager. One of the few times my predictions came true! And for current players, honestly, that seems to change every other month. But I remain a Buxton fan, simply because he is so exciting to watch in the field and on the bases. Now if we can get that hitting straightened out ...

6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors? I bounce around mainstream sites like ESPN and SI, and also look at the Star-Tribune, but not much else on a regular basis.

7.) Favorite Twitter follows? I don't tweet. And I can't sing very well either.

8.) Other interests outside of baseball. Music! Although I can't play an instrument, I'm a huge music fan. I listen to music (I'm old school; mostly CDs) all day and all night. Can't get enough. I used to book concerts many years ago, and wrote for some music magazines. Interviewed many great bands and singers. I also read a lot of books, mostly crime fiction (John Sandford, yes!) and travel stuff.

9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily. I really like it all, Good variety, and a variety of interesting opinions from writers and posters. I especially appreciate the minor league reports. Hard to get such detailed information elsewhere.

10.) Tell us what we can do better. Send me some cookies!

11.) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events?" Never. I'm too far away!

Edited by Doctor Wu, 13 July 2018 - 07:55 AM.

• Carole Keller likes this

#92 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,977 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:25 AM

1) Where are you from? I grew up in a really small town (Minnesota Lake), went to college in Marshall, MN and settled in the Rochester area. I've lived in Rochester, Goodhue, and Zumbrota.

2) Age Range? 64. In the midst of my last year of work.

3) What brought you to Twins Daily? BYTO, and the crazy cast of characters there, most of whom came along when Twins Daily was formed.

4) Highest level of baseball/softball played? High school baseball--I wasn't very good. I played softball into my 40s.

5) Favorite Twins player, favorite underappreciated Twins player and current favorite. My all-time favorite is Michael Cuddyer. Favorite underappreciated Twin is Greg Gagne and my current favorite is Brian Dozier.

6) Favorite non-Twins site/authors. For baseball--baseball-reference.com, for other interests--politicalwire.com.

7) Favorite Twitter follows. None, I don't do Twitter.

8) Other interests outside of baseball. I love to golf, even though I am a 20-handicapper. I follow other sports, but not nearly as closely as I follow the Twins. I am kind of a political junkie and enjoy music. With retirement looming, I hope to travel a lot more in the coming years.

9) Favorite part of Twins Daily. Whenever I see a great conversation, sometimes in the game threads, sometimes in other sections, I think "wow, there's a lot of smart knowledgeable people on this site!" A lot of good stuff.

10) Tell us what we can do better. Every thought I have for improvement has the potential for undesired consequences.

11) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events"? Yes, and enjoyed myself.

• Carole Keller and Craig Arko like this

#93 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:30 AM

1) Where are you from? Tiny town called Verndale, near the buzzing metropolises (metropoli??) of Wadena and Perham. College in Moorhead at Concordia (Go Cobs). Then lived in Milwaukee, Omaha, Pensacola, Columbia, SC; and now back in the TC Metro for the past 2 years. 

2) Age Range? 38

3) What brought you to Twins Daily? BYTO, I think. Can't remember exactly. 

4) Highest level of baseball/softball played? I played 2 years in college (until my shoulder said 'I don't think so'). It also became apparent that my career goals required more library time and less baseball time. I then played town ball for a few years, followed by a 15 year hiatus before returning to 35+ ball in the Cities last year. Took me last year to get the timing down, but hovering around hitting .400 this year (with lots of seeing-eye grounders). Working on improving my launch angle... (too much Parker Twitter)

I've also attended the Twins Fantasy Camp the past couple of years. For any who may be interested, you should really consider it. It is an absolute BLAST. 

5) Favorite Twins player, favorite underappreciated Twins player and current favorite. All-time gotta be Kirby. Under- Al Newman. Current- Berrios

6) Favorite non-Twins site/authors. I spend too much time on ESPN.com

7) Favorite Twitter follows. Aside from those that contribute to this site, mostly people related to my profession

8) Other interests outside of baseball. Family (wife and two young kids- boy 3 and girl 9 mos). As above I play old man baseball and a little (bad) golf. 

9) Favorite part of Twins Daily. Reading varied opinions about controversial subjects that help inform my own opinion.

10) Tell us what we can do better. Not sure I have any gems. I thought the player Q&A was a good idea (mentioned earlier)

11) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events"? Not at this point, but would like to attend soon 

Edited by Heezy1323, 14 July 2018 - 09:31 AM.

• Carole Keller, ashburyjohn, Craig Arko and 1 other like this

#94 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:51 AM

1.) Where are you from? Hastings, but I migrated out of state right after the 1987 World Series. I have never stopped moving.

2.) Age Range? 40s

3.) What brought you to Twins Daily? Good taste.

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? HS

5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player? Killebrew, Straker

6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors? Taylor Branch

7.) Favorite Twitter follows? @sarahkendzior

8.) Other interests outside of baseball. Creme Brulee

9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily: Forums

10.) Tell us what we can do better? Eat more vegetables.

11.) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events?" No.

Edited by Doomtints, 14 July 2018 - 09:54 AM.

• Carole Keller and Sconnie like this

#95 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:53 AM

1.) Where are you from? Gaylord, MN -> LaCrosse, WI -> Chicago, IL -> Burnsville, MN -> New Ulm, MN -> Queen Creek, AZ

In Ulm, um Ulm und um Ulm herum.

("In Ulm, around Ulm and round about Ulm.")

• TheLeviathan and Sconnie like this