Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Get to know each other

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

Poll: Twins Daily on Social Media (144 member(s) have cast votes)

I follow Twins Daily on...

1. Twitter (23 votes [15.97%])

Percentage of vote: 15.97%

2. Facebook (11 votes [7.64%])

Percentage of vote: 7.64%

3. Both (18 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Neither (92 votes [63.89%])

Percentage of vote: 63.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#221 Joey Self

Joey Self

Elizabethton Twins

• 44 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:58 AM

Hi, Joseph Self here (I haven't outgrown my nickname of Joey with my friend).

I didn't see the questionnaire before I wrote the introduction below, so I'll leave it. 

1.) Where are you from? Western Arkansas

2.) Age Range? Early 60's

3.) What brought you to Twins Daily? Twitter

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played?High school, although I did play a couple of games of American Legion, but quit when I wasn't good enough to play at that level. 

5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player, and if you want, favorite current Twins player? Of all time, Tony Oliva.Currently, I guess I'd go with Buxton, but Arraez is moving up fast if he can stay healthy. 

6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors? Oh, I'm all over the place

7.) Favorite Twitter follows? @mzheminway @andrewcmccarthy @strongmarriages5

8.) Other interests outside of baseball. In addition to being an attorney, I'm also a fill-in preacher, and teach a weekly Bible class when we are able to meet. 

9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily... forums, blogs, articles, topics... wahtever you like. Don't know, just got here.  

10.) Tell us what we can do better. What features or other topics would you like to see in-season or out of season? Don't know, just got here

11.) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events?" No, I live a LONG way from Minneapolis. 

I'm a 62 year old attorney, practicing in Fort Smith, AR. I've been a Twins fan since 1966--not sure why, probably because I saw them play on TV some Saturday and they won.During the 70's, I had a transistor radio, and one night I accidently found WHO in Des Moines carrying a Twins game.I didn't touch the dial the rest of the summer for fear I'd never find it again.  

During the 80's and 90's, I still called them my top team, but I watched at least 80 Braves games a year on TBS, making them my #2 team.When they faced off in '91, I didn't hesitate to root for the Twins. 

Flash forward to a few years ago when I got the Extra Inning service on DirectTV (now on Roku), and I have been watching at least 100 games a year since then (almost all on the DVR so I can fast forward through commercials or between batters). 

Looking forward to chatting with more Twins fans. 

JcS (the little c is a tribute to my height challenged grandfather, whose middle name I share)

#222 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,104 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:15 PM

Welcome to Twins Daily. Fans from all over are welcome here!
  • Joey Self likes this

#223 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• 240 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:19 PM

Great to meet you, Joey!  I’ve rooted from afar for the Twins since 1967, and Tony-O was my favorite.  

#224 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,088 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:36 PM

Welcome, Joey. I grew up in Iowa, so it was easy to get WHO, but that was my lifeline as a kid. "Coast to coast, border to border, and then some." 

#225 Jimv

Jimv

Elizabethton Twins

• 48 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:14 AM

1.) Where are you from? Lived all over the country and Europe growing up, but moved to Mpls right after college and haven't left.
2.) Age Range? early retirement eligible
3.) What brought you to Twins Daily? Seth Speaks.
4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? Legion Ball:Plus plus speed, plus hitting, mediocre glove, no power, and the worst arm you've ever seen. 
5.) Favorite Twins Player, OLIVAand favorite underappreciated Twins player--so many to choose from.Kitty Kaat, maybe?
6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors?Michener, Barbara Tuchman, John Irving, Follett.Between here and the newspaper, I don't need much more sports to read.
7.) Favorite Twitter follows? I'd follow Abraham Lincoln but I doubt he'll be tweeting anytime soon.
8.) Other interests outside of baseball. Foodie/oenology, travel, classical (and some non-classical) music.Trying to learn more about art but starting with the handicap of having no artistic ability.
9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily...Incomparable source of minor league info
10.) Tell us what we can do better. What features or other topics would you like to see in-season or out of season?This is a really well-run/moderated site.The mods do a great job of keeping personal attacks and name-calling toward other posters out of here, but I wish the same level of courtesy was extended to players/mgmt.Nothing wrong with criticizing/disagreeing with actions/decisions, but that can be done without being personal.Obviously not everyone agrees with me,:)
11.) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events?" No

#226 Jimv

Jimv

Elizabethton Twins

• 48 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:15 AM

I feel it ... although not lifelong in Chicago, been here long enough that the natives accept me as native. You can take the girl out of Minnesota, but you can't take the Minnesota out of the girl ... forever a Twins fan, much to some of my friends' eye-rolling consternation.

Did I ever tell the story of when Kenny Williams used to live in my building, and had a parking spot next to mine? When I discovered that, that's when I put the Twins sticker on my car. Not sure if he ever noticed it.

It doesn't matter if he noticed.It's the act of defiance that counts.

I was at home on 9/11, with the radio turned on. They were talking about the hitchhiked airplanes, when live on the radio, they reported the first airplane to hit the Twin Towers. At that point, I was clear about what was happening, and I immediately hung my American flag outside. I knew the odds of a terrorist seeing it, or even caring about what was happening in Minneapolis, was incredibly slim, but it didn't matter. It was the only way I knew to publically give them a middle finger. I don't mean to equate terrorism and baseball competition in any way. But in matters large and small, sometimes you just have to plant your flag and make your position public.

#227 Kevin Urdahl

Kevin Urdahl

Elizabethton Twins

• 9 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 02:29 PM

1.) Where are you from? Grew up in Jamestown, ND. Avid Twins fan growing up. Lived in the Twin's Cities from 87-95 and attended both World Series victories. Have lived in Seattle since 95, but still avid Twins fan.

2.) Age Range? 55

3.) What brought you to Twins Daily? Don't remember.

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? 9th grade, Babe Ruth.

5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player, and if you want, favorite current Twins player? Rod Carew and Kirby Puckett. Underappreciated - Brad Radke. Current - Jose Berrios.

6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors? mlb.com

7.) Favorite Twitter follows? Don't do twitter

8.) Other interests outside of baseball. Hiking, camping, my son's little league

9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily... Minor league information. The sense of community.

• SQUIRREL and stringer bell like this