Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Get to know each other

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

Poll: Twins Daily on Social Media (118 member(s) have cast votes)

I follow Twins Daily on...

1. Twitter (13 votes [11.02%])

Percentage of vote: 11.02%

2. Facebook (10 votes [8.47%])

Percentage of vote: 8.47%

3. Both (16 votes [13.56%])

Percentage of vote: 13.56%

4. Neither (79 votes [66.95%])

Percentage of vote: 66.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,821 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:13 AM

GO PACK!

Oh, blargh ... none of that nonsense here! ;)

• ashbury, JW24 and Sconnie like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#182 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,821 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:05 PM

We are going down the last week of February, so I am hoping action has started by then. I think it should...

The ST schedule is out.

https://www.mlb.com/...hedule-released

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#183 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• 396 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:17 PM

I did this once about 2-3 years ago, but it was during the offseason and well, it's been a long time ago... Let's get to know each other a little bit... Who are the Twins Daily readers and contributors. Obviously don't tell any more than you want to... here are some questions to consider answering, with my answers:

1.) Where are you from? I'm from Perham, MN, home of the Yellowjackets. Currently live in Warroad, MN, Hockeytown USA... Been here for 21 years, and don't feel like you need to get any more specific than you'd like.

2.) Age Range? (I'm in my 40s, lower half, easily.)

3.) What brought you to Twins Daily? (I was at SethSpeaks.net, and me and the rest of the TD guys consolidated to create this fun-filled place)

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? (two years at college, Concordia in Moorhead)

5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player, and if you want, favorite current Twins player? (I mean, Kirby Puckett, of course... Underrated... Matt Lawton... and current, well, probably most enjoy watching Eddie Rosario though having had the opportunity to meet so many of the players, there are a lot of very good people in the organization.)

6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors?

7.) Favorite Twitter follows?

8.) Other interests outside of baseball. 

9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily... forums, blogs, articles, topics... wahtever you like.

10.) Tell us what we can do better. What features or other topics would you like to see in-season or out of season?

11.) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events?"

Born in Bismarck, ND and have lived here almost my entire life. Love the cool climate as I really do not like the heat. I am 36 years old. Do not remember how I came across Twins Daily for the first time. I think it was around the time the Twins site took their message board down. I played baseball into my mid teens. I loved the hot corner at third. Loved to swing that bat and was a decent fielder, too! Favorite player was obviously number 34: Kirby Puckett! Got to see him play at the Dome in 1993 against our bitter rival in those days: the Oakland A's when I was 10 years old! Most underrated Twins player would be Shane Mack. The Mack Attack was a great hitter for a few years there. Favorite current player would probably be Luis Arraez. He will be a great one, I believe! 

• SQUIRREL, ashbury, snepp and 2 others like this

#184 nclahammer

nclahammer

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 91 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:46 AM

1.) Where are you from? Originally from Bath, SD, & Aberdeen, SD; lived in Red Wing, MN, the past 26+ years

2.) Age Range? 53

3.) What brought you to Twins Daily? Initially introduced through Twitter, then recommended by a friend.Love the way Twins Daily covers my team, the Minnesota Twins

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? Played Legion baseball in Bath, SD/various leagues of softball for about 20 years

5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player, and if you want, favorite current Twins player? Favorite Gary Gaetti/Jim Kaat ... Underrated... Greg Gagne/Brian Harper.. and current player is Eddie Rosario 

6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors?I enjoy them all

7.) Favorite Twitter follows?Not very active on Twitter, I like Dick Bremer's posts & Tim Froemming

8.) Other interests outside of baseball.Collecting sports memorabelia & performing in local theater

9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily... The daily report from down on the farm...what's happening in the minors.

10.) Tell us what we can do better. What features or other topics would you like to see in-season or out of season?I think you currently provide the best Twins coverage, keep up the good work

11.) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events?"No, not yet.

• SQUIRREL, snepp and Sconnie like this

#185 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,748 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:55 PM

Born in Bismarck, ND and have lived here almost my entire life.

1.) Where are you from? Originally from Bath, SD, & Aberdeen, SD;

I lived in Dakota County MN, for a while. :) Glad you both introduced yourselves.

• nclahammer and Bandit34 like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#186 Brian450

Brian450

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 169 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 05:05 PM

Thank you for the kind welcome, everyone - this looks like a great landing place after 18 years at "Twins Territory" (now "247 Sports").I was a moderator over there, but they unceremoniously removed the Twins message board, leaving a few dedicated members wondering 'wtf?'.

I'd like you to welcome "insagt" who I've encouraged to join here, as it looks like a passionate and good group of people. 

About me: 

1.) Where are you from? I'm from Bloomington (Minnesota), not too far from the old Met, where I enjoyed many, many games as a child.

2.) Age Range?Well, the above should give you a hint (not that it matters).

3.) What brought you to Twins Daily? (As indicated above, out of necessity, as our board was removed). 

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? (I've played two years JuCo and played for many years in an adult baseball league). 

5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player, and if you want, favorite current Twins player? (I have a son named "Kirby" which should tell you something.I have a daughter named "Molly" which should also indicate another favorite.Two cats:One named "Jack" and the other "Morris".My fav pitcher was Blyleven and Tony Oliva was my favorite player in the 70's.MOST UNDERRATED PLAYER AND STILL ONE OF MY FAVORITES:Eduardo Escobar...

That's all for now, but thanks again for the warm reception!

• ashbury, Craig Arko, stringer bell and 3 others like this

#187 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,269 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:09 PM

Thank you for the kind welcome, everyone - this looks like a great landing place after 18 years at "Twins Territory" (now "247 Sports").I was a moderator over there, but they unceremoniously removed the Twins message board, leaving a few dedicated members wondering 'wtf?'.

I'd like you to welcome "insagt" who I've encouraged to join here, as it looks like a passionate and good group of people. 

About me: 

1.) Where are you from? I'm from Bloomington (Minnesota), not too far from the old Met, where I enjoyed many, many games as a child.

2.) Age Range?Well, the above should give you a hint (not that it matters).

3.) What brought you to Twins Daily? (As indicated above, out of necessity, as our board was removed). 

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? (I've played two years JuCo and played for many years in an adult baseball league). 

5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player, and if you want, favorite current Twins player? (I have a son named "Kirby" which should tell you something.I have a daughter named "Molly" which should also indicate another favorite.Two cats:One named "Jack" and the other "Morris".My fav pitcher was Blyleven and Tony Oliva was my favorite player in the 70's.MOST UNDERRATED PLAYER AND STILL ONE OF MY FAVORITES:Eduardo Escobar...

Welcome aboard!

• operation mindcrime and Brian450 like this

#188 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 5,338 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:56 AM

Thank you for the kind welcome, everyone - this looks like a great landing place after 18 years at "Twins Territory" (now "247 Sports"). I was a moderator over there, but they unceremoniously removed the Twins message board, leaving a few dedicated members wondering 'wtf?'.

About me:

2.) Age Range? Well, the above should give you a hint (not that it matters).
5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player, and if you want, favorite current Twins player? (I have a son named "Kirby" which should tell you something. I have a daughter named "Molly" which should also indicate another favorite. Two cats: One named "Jack" and the other "Morris". My fav pitcher was Blyleven and Tony Oliva was my favorite player in the 70's. MOST UNDERRATED PLAYER AND STILL ONE OF MY FAVORITES: Eduardo Escobar...

welcome! Great to see you and other new users active in the threads
  • Brian450 likes this

#189 Melissa

Melissa

Elizabethton Twins

• 8 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:28 PM

I like Doc's approach of writing paragraphs instead of bullet points.

I was born in Milwaukee about 66 years go. My grandpa was a Cubs fan and took me to a game at Wrigley, though details of that favorite memory are faded. 

I grew up a fanatic Milwaukee Braves fan until they broke my heart by moving to that 13-state television market formerly known as the Confederate States of America a/k/a the Turner Broadcasting System.

Fun true fact: Henry Aaron moved onto my road in a Milwaukee suburb when I was a kid. I went to school with his daughter Gail. His wife Barbara and my mom were good friends, into each other's kitchen all the time. Best memory of that period - wandering into Mr. Aaron's open garage to find him sitting like any other dad in his sleeveless undershirt, except instead of fussing with his tools or fishing equipment he was organizing his bat rack.

Moved to the Twin Cities for college, still estranged from the game, so never did venture out to the old Met. Then went to Boston in 1975 for grad school, just in time to watch the Red Sox head to the World Series  - Freddy Lynn, Dewey Evans, and Jim Ed Rice in the outfield, Carlton Fisk behind the plate, El Tiante pitching. Made me a Sox fan for the duration of my time in New England. One year, sitting in the centerfield bleachers, I caught a home run ball by Hammerin' Hank himself, playing out his career as a Brewer, if I remember correctly. My last summer there, 1984, I went to Fenway Park 35 times, got to catch the first few games pitched by that kid from Texas, Roger Clemens.

Moved back to St. Paul for work that fall, been here ever since. Have been a died-in-the wool Twins fan since 1987. This summer I attended six games at Target Field - a place I really love. Sat through the ten innings on July 23 only to watch Hicks make that impossible catch to save the game for the Hated Yankees.

Drawn to this site because of the richness and timeliness of the articles and all the information on our minor leaguers. My other favorite source is The Athletic. I'm happy to be visible here after following the site for the last two years!

Edited to add: I played co-ed softball in college, mostly third base. At first they stuck me in right field, but any ball hit past me would score an inside-the-parker with my less than Marwin-esque throwing arm. Favorite current Twin: Kepler.

Edited by Melissa, 30 September 2019 - 07:35 PM.

• SQUIRREL, ashbury, stringer bell and 3 others like this

#190 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 5,338 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:33 PM

I was born in Milwaukee about 66 years go. My grandpa was a Cubs fan and took me to a game at Wrigley, though details of that favorite memory are faded.

I grew up a fanatic Milwaukee Braves fan until they broke my heart by moving to that 13-state television market formerly known as the Confederate States of America a/k/a the Turner Broadcasting System.

Fun true fact: Henry Aaron moved onto my road in a Milwaukee suburb when I was a kid. I went to school with his daughter Gail. His wife Barbara and my mom were good friends, into each other's kitchen all the time. Best memory of that period - wandering into Mr. Aaron's open garage to find him sitting like any other dad in his sleeveless undershirt, except instead of fussing with his tools or fishing equipment he was organizing his bat rack.

Moved to the Twin Cities for college, still estranged from the game, so never did venture out to the old Met. Then went to Boston in 1975 for grad school, just in time to watch the Red Sox head to the World Series - Freddy Lynn, Dewey Evans, and Jim Ed Rice in the outfield, Carlton Fisk behind the plate, El Tiante pitching. Made me a Sox fan for the duration of my time in New England. One year, sitting in the centerfield bleachers, I caught a home run ball by Hammerin' Hank himself, playing out his career as a Brewer, if I remember correctly. My last summer there, 1984, I went to Fenway Park 35 times, got to catch the first few games pitched by that kid from Texas, Roger Clemens.

Moved back to St. Paul for work that fall, been here ever since. Have been a died-in-the wool Twins fan since 1987. This summer I attended six games at Target Field - a place I really love. Sat through the ten innings on July 23 only to watch Hicks make that impossible catch to save the game for the Hated Yankees.

Drawn to this site because of the richness and timeliness of the articles and all the information on our minor leaguers. My other favorite source is The Athletic. I'm happy to be visible here after following the site for the last two years!

you have just a few posts, but this is a great one! Please keep posting!

Have you seen our game threads? If you want to talk baseball (or anything really) stop by. You’ll see the thread pinned to the top of the forum.
  • ashbury, Nine of twelve and Melissa like this

#191 Melissa

Melissa

Elizabethton Twins

• 8 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:37 PM

Thanks, Sconnie!

No, I haven't followed the game threads, but I'll give them a look while we're thrashing the Yankees this weekend.:)

Edited by Melissa, 30 September 2019 - 07:58 PM.

• stringer bell, snepp, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#192 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,370 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:52 PM

Moved to the Twin Cities for college, still estranged from the game, so never did venture out to the old Met. Then went to Boston in 1975 for grad school, just in time to watch the Red Sox head to the World Series  - Freddy Lynn, Dewey Evans, and Jim Ed Rice in the outfield, Carlton Fisk behind the plate, El Tiante pitching. Made me a Sox fan for the duration of my time in New England. One year, sitting in the centerfield bleachers, I caught a home run ball by Hammerin' Hank himself, playing out his career as a Brewer, if I remember correctly. My last summer there, 1984, I went to Fenway Park 35 times, got to catch the first few games pitched by that kid from Texas, Roger Clemens.

Edited to add: I played co-ed softball in college, mostly third base. At first they stuck me in right field, but any ball hit past me would score an inside-the-parker with my less than Marwin-esque throwing arm. Favorite current Twin: Kepler.

Welcome, Melissa. That’s a great Henry Aaron story!
  • Sconnie, Nine of twelve and Melissa like this

#193 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 309 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:20 PM

New to the boards. Brought here by my old recently shut down board buddy Brian450 and I thank him.

Born in Rochester, NY and after attending college in Montreal, joined the navy during Nam, saw the world, came home after 8 years, got married and am back in Rochester. Full circle

How old? Lets say I watched Bob Gibson pitch for the Rochester Red Wings. I was alive during the Truman Administration and was also around just before Babe Ruth died.

Enough hints.

My board name tells you what I have done for a living for over 4 decades. In my spare time I play keyboards in a Beatles Tribute Band., Great fun.

I became a Twins fan when the Red Wings dumped the Orioles after over 40 years. I was also a charter member of the Expos fanclub and still mourn their unnecessary loss. To this day I can't cheer for the Nationals and I hate Bud Selig.

As a kid I loved watching Luke Easter hit mammoth HR's while in his 50's. Only one of 2 Red Wings to have his number retired. The other is Joe Altobelli. While living in Montreal I never missed a Canadiens game...getting standing room only tickets...all that was ever available. It was the Original Six days and the first years of the first expansion. Goalies were mostly maskless and players helmetless. The hockey was brilliant. A real treat getting to see Bobby Orr play...live.

While in the navy became good friends with another sailor from Minneapolis. When he got out he owned a flower shop there for years. Who knows, maybe some of you shopped there. I also formed a ships band while on board the USS Donald B Beary FF-1085 (for those at home keeping score) and we played gigs all over the Middle East in 1976. Our Captain loved us because we were great ambassadors.

I haven;t been here long enough to critique the boards except to say they are great and I'm glad to be on board in a year when the Twins were so good. One day hopefully the Red Wings will win a championship again. I remain a season ticket holder. My wife puts up with my baseball and hockey addiction thankfully. Married 41 years this month. Two daughters..,one a veterinarian in Florida...works on all things that live in the water; and the other a middle school orchestra teacher. as well as a cellist.

thanks for listening.

• ashbury, snepp, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#194 stringer bell

stringer bell

• 9,269 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:49 PM

New to the boards. Brought here by my old recently shut down board buddy Brian450 and I thank him.

Born in Rochester, NY and after attending college in Montreal, joined the navy during Nam, saw the world, came home after 8 years, got married and am back in Rochester. Full circle

How old? Lets say I watched Bob Gibson pitch for the Rochester Red Wings. I was alive during the Truman Administration and was also around just before Babe Ruth died.

Enough hints.

My board name tells you what I have done for a living for over 4 decades. In my spare time I play keyboards in a Beatles Tribute Band., Great fun.

I became a Twins fan when the Red Wings dumped the Orioles after over 40 years. I was also a charter member of the Expos fanclub and still mourn their unnecessary loss. To this day I can't cheer for the Nationals and I hate Bud Selig.

As a kid I loved watching Luke Easter hit mammoth HR's while in his 50's. Only one of 2 Red Wings to have his number retired. The other is Joe Altobelli. While living in Montreal I never missed a Canadiens game...getting standing room only tickets...all that was ever available. It was the Original Six days and the first years of the first expansion. Goalies were mostly maskless and players helmetless. The hockey was brilliant. A real treat getting to see Bobby Orr play...live.

While in the navy became good friends with another sailor from Minneapolis. When he got out he owned a flower shop there for years. Who knows, maybe some of you shopped there. I also formed a ships band while on board the USS Donald B Beary FF-1085 (for those at home keeping score) and we played gigs all over the Middle East in 1976. Our Captain loved us because we were great ambassadors.

I haven;t been here long enough to critique the boards except to say they are great and I'm glad to be on board in a year when the Twins were so good. One day hopefully the Red Wings will win a championship again. I remain a season ticket holder. My wife puts up with my baseball and hockey addiction thankfully. Married 41 years this month. Two daughters..,one a veterinarian in Florida...works on all things that live in the water; and the other a middle school orchestra teacher. as well as a cellist.

thanks for listening.

Welcome to Twins Daily.

#195 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,748 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:06 PM

Moved to the Twin Cities for college, still estranged from the game, so never did venture out to the old Met. Then went to Boston in 1975 for grad school, just in time to watch the Red Sox head to the World Series - Freddy Lynn, Dewey Evans, and Jim Ed Rice in the outfield, Carlton Fisk behind the plate, El Tiante pitching. Made me a Sox fan for the duration of my time in New England. One year, sitting in the centerfield bleachers, I caught a home run ball by Hammerin' Hank himself, playing out his career as a Brewer, if I remember correctly. My last summer there, 1984, I went to Fenway Park 35 times, got to catch the first few games pitched by that kid from Texas, Roger Clemens.

Mrs Ashbury is a couple years your junior, and her dad used to take her to Opening Day at Wrigley, taking her out of school to do so of course. She was raised right.
  • Melissa likes this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#196 mdawg888

mdawg888

• 35 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:57 PM

1.) Where are you from? East Grand Forks, MN - Living in Andover, MN now.

2.) Age Range? 35

3.) What brought you to Twins Daily? Hoo boy, good question...probably just searching for additional Twins content years ago. 

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? Divison I - Campbell University (NC) Fighting Camels (preceded by Iowa Central CC Tritons)

5.) Favorite Twins Player, and favorite underappreciated Twins player, and if you want, favorite current Twins player? Kirby Puckett / Shane Mack / Byron Buxton

6.) Favorite non-Twins Daily site/authors? Deadspin, Jim Souhan (HA!)

7.) Favorite Twitter follows? Right now, Eric Sim, Best of Nextdoor, and my Twins Coverage list

8.) Other interests outside of baseball. Sports, sports, sports

9.) Favorite part of Twins Daily: I rarely dive into the forums (trying to change that, obviously), but read just about everything published on the front page. 

10.) Tell us what we can do better. What features or other topics would you like to see in-season or out of season? Nothing that I can think of at the moment!

11.) Have you been to any of the Twins Daily "events?" No, but hoping the pub crawl comes back next year!

• SQUIRREL and Sconnie like this

#197 stringer bell

stringer bell

• 9,269 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:37 AM

Welcome aboard. Go Fighting Camels!
  • mdawg888 likes this