Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

When do you check out?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 ShaeTwins

ShaeTwins

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

Ah yes, September. The time of the year when it starts getting cooler, school begins again for all the kiddies, and, for the second year in a row, the Twins are so far out of contention that it's not even worth mentioning anymore. My question for you is, at what point do you stop caring if the Twins win or not?

Obviously in a non-contending year like this one, it may have been easy to check out on the season mid-June, but I still cared whether they won or lost, on the off chance that they would reach a respectable record. Now, if I watch a game at all, I'm more than likely just closely watching a few Parmelee ABs, certain starting pitchers, or focusing on who's playing the best infield defense. I consider myself officially "checked out" on this basis, not whether or not I actually watch the games, because odds are being the baseball fan that I am, I'm still checking on every box score from every team every day and watching highlights and such.

For me, there comes a point every year where I swap my Twins gear for Philadelphia Eagles and Fresno State gear. This year it was mid August. Have any of you checked out yet?

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

Probably about two weeks ago. Now, I'm more concerned with draft position and watching how Hendriks and Parmelee finish the season. Watching the prospects finish up was fun, too.

#3 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

The 3rd game of the season was a good time to check out.

#4 Mauerzy4Prez

Mauerzy4Prez

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

I check out to certain things and check in to others... Right now I really don't care if the Twins win or lose. The season has been long and terrible, and I look for more than just the W or L in the box score.

In a season like this, I actually check in more in September to watch individual story lines play out and see how our call ups perform. This is an exciting time for these players, and it is nice to see how they do. Am I watching every at bat of every inning of every game right now? No, usually I DVR the game, start about a half hour late, and FF through all the unimportant things (i.e. Dick/Bert/Robbie random nonsensical ramblings to try and keep the main streamers engaged still)... my favorite Dick/Bert/Robbie moment as of late you ask??? Their " The Twins still will honor the integrity of the game bit" LOL.

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

I don't... I'm 'checked in' all year round.

#6 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

The Vikings certainly aren't going to make me checkout... :whacky028:

#7 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

At no part was I ever invested in this ratty-ass team. Bad start, average middle and once again another dog sh*t ending to a season.

More important things in life.

#8 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

May 2011?

I've been casually following the team but I can't say I've watched a full 9-inning game since early last season.

#9 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

Check out completely? Never.

Allow myself to miss a few games in order to focus on something else or a different sport? That probably set in in early August.

#10 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,838 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

I don't think I've checked out but I honestly don't care about the results ... except for a morbid curiosity to see how close they can come to equalling or exceeding last year's debacle.

I probably watch most closely when the Twins are in the field followed by the AB's of some of the "new guys."

But I'm also switching a lot more to the games of some of the contending teams.

#11 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

We have seven more games left from our Season Ticket package. The Tickets are worth next to nothing on Stub Hub.

At the same time, the Twins are hitting us up for Money on next year's tickets.

#12 StormJH1

StormJH1

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

The Vikings certainly aren't going to make me checkout... :whacky028:

That's a great point. Sports fandom is all relative. I'm always going to watch some sporting events to some level, just like my wife will revert back to watching whatever TLC or random reality show she can find if she's bored. Since there's no competition in the summertime, baseball interest benefits disproportionate to how much people actually care about the sport.

But if there's nothing interesting to "check into", I don't see a reason to check "out" of the Twins. Sure, the Vikings are only one game a week, so it's not like the game is taking away baseball interest. But the team is lackluster, I don't even care about the coverage of the Vikings. I'm not waiting all week with baited breath to hear which garbage cornerback we might cut, or when Jerome Simpson's suspension is over. And with the Gophers being terrible and the NHL lockout looming, I'm not really getting as excited for the other leagues as I'd like to be.

#13 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

I have stopped watching games for the most part now that football season is back.

#14 Miles

Miles

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

I never check out. But if we're not going to make playoffs, I want to lose as many as possible to get the highest draft pick we can.

#15 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

How can you check out? It's baseball. TWINS baseball. Soon enough we'll be waiting six months for the next real baseball game. No real baseball fan--Twins fan--checks out.

#16 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,580 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

Checking out isn't a good description. Im still fully engaged with my team and will be until the end of the season.

However... I don't care about wins and losses anymore and haven't really since June. So I guess I checked out a little in June.

What I care about is if they are playing well. The team can lose but if they play well in the loss... I'm ok with it and If they win and look bad in the process. I'm not Ok with that.

Im watching the players now. The score only matters in the context of what needs to be done in the current situation and how the players handle it.

Its all about the future for me and the Future is starting Right now.

#17 TwinVike61

TwinVike61

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

Because every game has the potential for something amazing, unique, or pathetic there's always a draw for me to listen or check the highlights, even the last game of last season when Pavano outpitched Chen to avoid the dreaded 100th loss of the season.

#18 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

At no part was I ever invested in this ratty-ass team. Bad start, average middle and once again another dog sh*t ending to a season.

More important things in life.

And yet you look at this website.

#19 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

How can you check out? It's baseball. TWINS baseball. Soon enough we'll be waiting six months for the next real baseball game. No real baseball fan--Twins fan--checks out.

Still love baseball and whenever it's on I watch. But I can't watch a Twins right now, it's just such a bad brand of baseball it's damn near unwatchable. Whatever the ESPN or MLBTV game is I watch, but I havn't watched a full Twins game since the last time I was at TF in May.

#20 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

You and I don't agree on much. But I agree with this.

I doubt I can say it better, but I still watch all the games. Of course, if you watch me closely, you'll catch my eye wandering toward facebook, TD, etc. while watching certain games...

#21 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Today's Fred Rogers Mean Mean Pride

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

I never check out from Twins baseball... let alone baseball as a whole. There is as always some facet than can elicit an interest of some kind.

What I can attest to - I certainly have no interest in NFL Football - the game where rapists, murderers and wife beaters hold court. I had my fill with Mark Chmura, Rae Carruth and Ray Lewis - GAME OVER!

Other than that - I will go tend to the garden, hold my wife's hand, or plant some perennials for the upcoming year!

Edited by Bark's Lounge, 06 September 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#22 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

I never completely check out, but I've gradually started to disengage in early-to-mid August the last couple of years when the team has been simply unwatchable at times.

I watched some of the O's-Yanks on MLB tonight, and it made me long for the days when the Twins were playing meaningful games in September. Hard to believe it was only 2 years ago, it feels like it's been forever. And if this is what 2 years feels like, I can't imagine what it must be like to be a diehard Pirates or Royals fan.

#23 drunksam

drunksam

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

I never completely check out, but I've gradually started to disengage in early-to-mid August the last couple of years when the team has been simply unwatchable at times.

I watched some of the O's-Yanks on MLB tonight, and it made me long for the days when the Twins were playing meaningful games in September. Hard to believe it was only 2 years ago, it feels like it's been forever. And if this is what 2 years feels like, I can't imagine what it must be like to be a diehard Pirates or Royals fan.

Should have been a Twins fan in the mid-late 90's. This feels close to the same, but a little worse because it feels like they should be better.

#24 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

I never fully check out, but almost never watch an entire game. Too much of life to do. I follow how the callups do and the minor leaguers as this early on was a lost year. It is fun now to see if the Yankees can collapse and finish on the outside looking in. A Yankee failure would really make the FA market difficult. They would be under severe pressure from their fan base to spend over the luxury tax threshold and just 'Win baby Win'
If the owners take that approach, It will put a lot of pressure on the FA market for all the lower clubs as they will have to wait for the trickle down FA's to reach their price range or maybe they never will.

#25 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:58 AM

I have not been very interested in the Twins all season. I still follow but I actually have spent just as much time paying attention to the minors where some exciting things are happening. I had low expectations so I didn't bother buying the mlb.tv package and have only seen a handful of Twins games on TV since it's usually all O's (Taiwanese pitcher), Yankees and Nat's (other Taiwanese pitcher).

#26 silverslugger

silverslugger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:59 AM

I "checked out" in terms of caring about wins and losses when they came out of the all star break and didn't have a run. I "checked out" on attempting to watch the majority of every game broadcast on FSN way back in June 2011. I started back up again with the watching in April but was pretty well "checked out" again by mid-May which just happened to coincide with the end of their early season swoon. Finally, living in Iowa, I've only been to one game in Target Field since it opened. That game was late June of this year versus the Royals. A great ballpark, great atmosphere but I need more of a reason to travel 4 hours one way to see a game and spend hard earned money.

Mr. Pohlad and Mr. Ryan; choices and decisions have consequences. In this case the fan base that was TwinsTerritory is eroding.

#27 Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

Misery loves company. That's why we are here and still following the Twins!

#28 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

Should have been a Twins fan in the mid-late 90's. This feels close to the same, but a little worse because it feels like they should be better.

Oh I was, and that sucked. But at least we were treated to a nice stretch of relevance in the 00's. The Pirates and Royals have been consistently sucking pond water since the early 90's. 2 straight decades of utter futility.

#29 Curt

Curt

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

It is really two questions. I haven't checked out. I watch nearly every game (recorded with a thirty-second skip button. I probably wouldn't otherwise). I check in here most days (sometimes many times in a day).

However, I stopped caring about wins and losses early in the first week of the season. Defense mechanism.

#30 Wolfy

Wolfy

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:29 AM

I never check out. Not that I know anything about baseball, but it has always been my favorite game to follow.

Football is a dying game. The ratings and profit margins for the league may say differently, but that is one sorry product. I don't even know what happened in the games yesterday. The Vikes won right? Whoopee!:jump:..................pfffttttt.

I listened to the Twins game yesterday on the radio while dinking around outside and in the garage like I do about half the time. It's too nice to sit inside wasting the day.

The season is played throughout the best part of the year up here. (for the most part) That might have something to do with baseball being my favorite sport.

Never do check out though...

Edited by Wolfy, 10 September 2012 - 05:33 AM.
spelling