Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: 2018 Twins Midseason Top Prospect List: 11-15

blayne enlow lamonte wade travis blankenhorn lewis thorpe ben rortvedt
  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 RichReese

RichReese

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:54 AM

The last 3 games he has been very good: 3GS, 13 IP, 12 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 18 K.

The problem I have with that line is the 3-1/3 IP/GS.

• HrbekRules likes this

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,055 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:13 AM

There as a game with a rain delay in there and he didn't come back after the delay... 

• ashburyjohn, DocBauer and MN_ExPat like this

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,055 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:16 AM

These are an interesting five, but I cannot get overly excited by them.It is a good thing that we have the three of you to do the evaluations because I see two young pitchers who have not displayed the skills that you see, a very young catcher with a mediocre track record with the bat, and, as another comment stated, two with the upside of backup/bench players. 

Again, these are prospects 11-15, not 1-5, so yes, there will still be question marks about these guys. And if two of them become backup-bench players, that''s probably really good. Getting to the big leagues and becoming a regular, much less a star, is really hard. 

• mikelink45, Dman, DocBauer and 3 others like this

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,055 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:17 AM

I have never heard anyone describe Blankenhorn's 3B defense as "quality." I have heard the opposite. Do you think he has a chance at staying at Third?

I think he's got a chance to stay at third base in the same way that I think Nick Gordon has a chance to stay at shortstop... Can he be adequate there? Sure. 

• MN_ExPat likes this

#25 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Administrators
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:22 AM

Couple guys in this list that appeared in my preseason picks to make their MLB debut. 5 other guys on that list already have.

Love Thorpe coming on. I'm not too worried about his innings per start yet. You can look at Fernando Romero and see a similar pattern. The fun thing is, Thorpe is doing better at what Romero is supposedly known for: K's and making bats miss.

• DocBauer, caninatl04 and MN_ExPat like this
Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#26 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:37 AM

What I see in Thorpe is at the beginning of the season he was more or less working harder on control of his pitches that shows in the amount of hits (and homers given up). But now it seems he is now starting to hone in on his command of his pitches. This seems evident as in his last 10 starts he has a 3.33 ERA and has given up 47 hits in 51 innings.
  • DocBauer and IaFan1 like this

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,778 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:52 AM

I too would have Thorpe higher, if I had a list.....he's certain to be a MLB player of some kind

• Twins33, nicksaviking and DocBauer like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#28 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:05 PM

The problem I have with that line is the 3-1/3 IP/GS.  For the season he is 4-2/3 IP per GS.Not exactly certain that he will get the stamina to be an MLB starter.

Also, pre surgery the FB was at 95-97 and looked close to 60-65.Now it is at 91-93 and looks like 50-55.

Maybe the pen is in his future.Maybe not.Regardless, he has a lot of questions, but he is young enough to answer. I think that he is ranked fairly...

I believe one of the last three games he only pitched an inning or two before being removed after a rain delay.One real short start out of three games really affects the numbers.

I will agree that he often pitches a bit less than one would like.I think part of that is the high number of strikeouts combined with them keeping his pitch count at 90 or less.Expect they are still being careful after missing two full seasons a couple years ago.

Edited by rdehring, 11 July 2018 - 12:06 PM.

• Steve Lein and DocBauer like this

#29 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

Thorpe started out slow, due to poor command and control... but the last 3-4 weeks, he's been pretty good. The talent is definitely there.

In Thorpe’s last 10 starts he has an ERA of 3.33 (that’s including his 9ER/3 IP game), has given up 5 HRs (4 in one game and 0 in his last 5 starts) has given up 47 hits in 51 innings (and struck out 67). I know even early on in the season the walks were down, but from looking at it Thorpe started the season working on control, and now that he has better control he is tightening up and improving command of his 4 pitch arsenal (as his recent numbers show). If he is truly past the injury bug I think he could be possibly as low as a #3 with top of the rotation potential as long as he has command of his pitches.
  • Seth Stohs, nicksaviking, Dman and 3 others like this

#30 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:36 PM

With prospects you can always see the Glass half full or empty.Most of those guys on this list are young for the level, holding their own and have a tool or tools that appear to be above average.They are far from developed and anything can happen.If something clicks they go from good to great.

I understand the tools, but hope that our prospects that are near MLB level will push the tools without resume to higher listings.

#31 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:38 PM

Again, these are prospects 11-15, not 1-5, so yes, there will still be question marks about these guys. And if two of them become backup-bench players, that''s probably really good. Getting to the big leagues and becoming a regular, much less a star, is really hard. 

Understood, but considering how our team is floundering I want a lot more prospects pushing at the door.  

#32 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:45 PM

I believe one of the last three games he only pitched an inning or two before being removed after a rain delay. One real short start out of three games really affects the numbers.

I will agree that he often pitches a bit less than one would like. I think part of that is the high number of strikeouts combined with them keeping his pitch count at 90 or less. Expect they are still being careful after missing two full seasons a couple years ago.

I am not worried about his innings per start this year. Remember Fernando Romero only pitched 125 innings pitched last year and there was concern he couldn’t hold up as a starter. Look at Romero this year, especially in the minors he has pitched between 6-7 innings per start and has routinely pitched near or over 100 pitches per start. I believe by next year Thorpe will be where Romero is this year.
  • Steve Lein, DocBauer and Original Whizzinator like this

#33 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:29 PM

I will agree that he often pitches a bit less than one would like.I think part of that is the high number of strikeouts combined with them keeping his pitch count at 90 or less.Expect they are still being careful after missing two full seasons a couple years ago.

What's odd to me about Thorpe is that he runs up these high pitch counts despite pretty good control (at least in terms of limiting walks). In his latest start he was pulled after 4 2/3 innings, at 97 pitches, even though he hadn't issued a single walk. 

I haven't watched any of his starts this season but this tells me he gets into a lot of extended ABs, and while he doesn't let the batter slip away they do take their toll.

• Seth Stohs, Steve Lein, Mike Sixel and 2 others like this

#34 jkcarew

jkcarew

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:39 PM

Now Cody....you had all 5 on this list ranked below Lewin Diaz, right? I don’t think it’s too late to go with simple denial.

#35 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:28 AM

What's odd to me about Thorpe is that he runs up these high pitch cou

nts despite pretty good control (at least in terms of limiting walks). In his latest start he was pulled after 4 2/3 innings, at 97 pitches, even though he hadn't issued a single walk. 
I haven't watched any of his starts this season but this tells me he gets into a lot of extended ABs, and while he doesn't let the batter slip away they do take their toll.

Reminds me of watching Mejia last season. The stuff is there! Where does stuff and knowledge meet reality and you just "learn" to economize and get those outs?

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#36 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:27 AM

Reminds me of watching Mejia last season. The stuff is there! Where does stuff and knowledge meet reality and you just "learn" to economize and get those outs?

What's odd to me about Thorpe is that he runs up these high pitch counts despite pretty good control (at least in terms of limiting walks). In his latest start he was pulled after 4 2/3 innings, at 97 pitches, even though he hadn't issued a single walk.

They need to teach him to pitch to contact
😘

Edited by goulik, 12 July 2018 - 06:31 AM.

#37 JLease

JLease

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:30 AM

Really interesting group of prospects here, and a good sign for the Twins system that these are all guys that are projectable as MLB players yet sit outside the top 10.

Wade is a really fascinating case. BA is actually becoming an underrated tool in MLB these days, so if Wade can continue to get on base and slap singles all over the park he could be a real asset for the team. Hitting for power is an extremely valuable thing for a hitter, but when your lineup is filled with guys who are clocking in a BA under .250 and there are Ks everywhere, there's increased value in finding guys who can score hits and make contact consistent. It will be interesting to see if Wade can be one of those guys.

Rortvedt is progressing pretty nicely, only wish it could be faster. Good catchers who can add offensive value are few and far between. you could argue he deserves a bit higher ranking than this based on his lack of drop in hitting upon moving up a level. He's a young guy doing well in a tough environment.

At a certain point, Thorpe is going to have to have the results back up the peripherals, but he had a big injury and tougher recovery, so I think it's ok to be a little more patient on him and rank off potential still. If he finishes the year healthy, no scholarship next year. right?

Kind of a fun group of prospects here, breakout potential balanced with decent odds most of them never accomplish much in MLB. Will be fun to see if they can keep progressing and put it all together

• Nick Nelson likes this

#38 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,451 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:46 AM

Rortvedt is progressing pretty nicely, only wish it could be faster.

He's probably headed to the majors faster than if he had gone to college. ;)

• Mike Sixel likes this

We couldn't afford fire alarms, so Dad hung Jiffy Pop over the doors.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blayne enlow, lamonte wade, travis blankenhorn, lewis thorpe, ben rortvedt