Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Did you ever get a baseball at a Twins game?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,778 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:08 PM

April 3, 1998 - Home Opener versus the Royals. Sitting lower deck down the third base line at the Metrodome, about halfway between the bullpen and the foul pole and maybe 10-12 rows up. Terry Pendleton at the plate, Brad Radke on the hill, Pendleton hits a slicing fly ball down the left field line. It slices foul, takes one big, spinny bounce once off the carpet and lands right in my glove. Yes, my glove. A 27 year old me brought a glove to the game. But it paid off. That is the only foul ball I've ever caught. Although probably 15-16-ish years earlier, in nearly the same spot, I had my hand on a foul ball in the row behind me, but my arm was nearly wrenched all the way behind me giving me little leverage, and a classmate had two hands on it, and I grudgingly let it go.

I also had a batting practice ball flipped to my by Scott Erickson on fan appreciation night in 1991.

I still have both of those balls - they are sitting on my work desk - but I can't tell you which one is which.

My birthday! Well, a few years later....

• scottz likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#22 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,724 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:23 PM

Never caught one personally but my mom caught one before!

We were at the old spring training complex by Walt Disney World watching a Florida Marlins game. Must have been 7 or 8 years old at the time.

The Marlins must have been playing the Braves or something. I do remember Antonio Alfonseca was pitching at the time.
  • Seth Stohs, Blake, Mike Sixel and 2 others like this

#23 Ben Noble

Ben Noble

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • LocationPowderhorn Park

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:38 PM

When I was a little kid, Jim Eisenreich lined a foul ball towards where my dad I were sitting at the Dome. Some guy about five rows in front of us stood up and put his hand out to catch the ball, and it audibly SMACKED off his hand and landed next to my dad. The guy turned around and said something to my dad about wanting the ball, but my dad just laughed in the guy's face and handed it to me.

I still remember how magical it felt to hold that ball, like I had broken the fourth wall or something. Lost the ball somewhere along the way, but that's why I use Jim Eisenreich's photo on this site. 

• Seth Stohs, lecroy24fan, scottz and 5 others like this

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,055 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:26 PM

I have no idea how, but even though he was wearing his warm-up jacket I recognized Dan Plesac. He was with the Blue Jays shagging balls in the outfield. I called to him and he looked a bit surprised that he was recognized without his name and number exposed; he tossed me the ball.

Once when I was 16 I climbed down the railing behind the CF baggy and grabbed about a half dozen balls that were laying down there. When I climbed back up an nervous usher who looked to be about my age tried to scold me and confiscated the balls I grabbed. But he didn't get the two I stuffed in my back pockets!

I don't know if these should count, but that is awesome! Ha!

• scottz and nicksaviking like this

#25 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:34 PM

I don't know if these should count, but that is awesome! Ha!

Oh yeah, I didn't get any legit balls. Mine were all from BP and they were begged, borrowed or stolen.

#26 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:36 PM

The wife and I were in KC before KC got good.We had really good seats on top of the Twins dugout.We were each sporting a Morneau jersey and there were a few Royal fans around us but not too many.I think we ended up with 5 balls from Morneau that he toss up after the end of each inning.There werent too many kids around so I didn't feel too bad.

#27 Lunger

Lunger

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationShakopee MN

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

In 2003 I caught a David Ortiz homer at Fenway.It was his first year with the Red Sox and I was not happy he wasn't a Twin.He was my favorite Twin during his time here.Anyway, the day after I caught the ball, the group I was with got to tour Fenway and the tour included being on the field for batting practice.I got to meet Papi, he signed the ball and he got Manny Ramirez to give me a signed ball too.I still have the Papi ball.Great memories of a great guy.

• Parker Hageman, Jerr, scottz and 3 others like this

#28 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:53 PM

Johnny Damon threw me one at the Dome about 20 years ago when he was playing CF for the Royals. 

He was clearly trying to throw it to the kid 30 rows back.

Were you the first or second cut-off man?

• Carole Keller, ashburyjohn, Blake and 2 others like this

#29 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:52 PM

I am always ducking so will probably never get one but one memorable time was when I had front row seats down the left field line so I took both of my nephews. When the ballboy gave one of them a ball the other one yelled "WHY DOES LOUIE GET EVERYTHING???" The people around us thought that was pretty funny. 

• Parker Hageman, Jerr and IndianaTwin like this

#30 y2jjj54

y2jjj54

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:20 PM

Got two, the first one was a Marquis Grissom Homerun against the twins when he was playing for the Indians.The other was a Michael Cuddyer Batting Practice homerun in Chicago against the Whitesox.Just got Cuddyer to sign the BP ball two years ago when he was helping out at Spring Training.

#31 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:25 PM

35 years of going to Twins games and not a single ball.

• USAFChief likes this

#32 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:29 PM

I used to get many balls, as we'd get dropped off at the Met by the neighbor, he' fill the back of the pickup with us.BP balls would fall thru the left field bleachers.Some days we came home with around 15 balls.Those really shouldn't count though.

I've gotten some and dropped some at Hammond.But the one I remember most was Gene Larkin fouled off a pitch from Charlie Liebrant that I caught. 

he gone!

#33 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

twice, several years apart, both in the metrodome press box while freelancing for the a.p.

one bounced off the lip of the windowless opening and right into my hands, the other rolled around the floor and ended up at my feet. i flipped both to little kids and one kid came by later to ask for my autograph. i told him he'd be better off finding a player to sign it but his dad said, "no, he wants you to sign it." so i did.

can't remember who hit either ball. but both flips elicited minor golf-clap ovations from nearby fans.

• Jerr likes this

#34 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:01 PM

The first ball I got was from 1986, late summer. I was a young 20-something at a game with my then boyfriend. Thanks to work, I got us tickets right over the Twins dugout. Bert Blyleven was pitching. I don’t remember what inning it was, who they were playing, or anything about the game, but Bert finished that inning with a strikeout. As he was leaving the mound to head to the dugout, the catcher threw the ball back to him and he walked off field. Just before he went into the dugout he looked up and tossed me the ball. Just as I was about to catch it, my then boyfriend jumped in front of me and took the ball. Nope, nuh uh, no way. That ball was mine. And yes, I still have it. That was almost unforgivable.
The other one I got was at Spring Training a few years ago. I was watching batting practice on the full field directly behind Hammond Stadium when Tony Oliva walked by. After a brief exchange he asked me if I had good hands. I think I said sure, or I think so. He tossed a ball to me over the fence. When I looked at it it was signed. He does this ... tosses out balls here and there to fans. And yes, I still have that one, too.

“...THEN boyfriend...” seems logical enough, given his actions.
  • USAFChief, Blake, Jerr and 2 others like this

#35 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:10 PM

Add the “Did you ever...” fan experience stories to the “things I like about Twins Daily” and “what we should have more of” responses from the “Getting to know people” thread.

Fun stuff, folks.

#36 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,597 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:29 PM

“...THEN boyfriend...” seems logical enough, given his actions.

In hindsight I think it was the beginning of the end.
  • Jerr, Oldgoat_MN and IndianaTwin like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#37 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,104 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:40 PM

Much to my chagrin, I have never gotten an actual MLB foul ball, despite having attended quite a few MLB games. It's on my bucket list, though. 

However: I have gotten dozens of BP HRs through the years, because I'm the schmuck that still shows up as early as they'll let me in to watch as much of BP as I am allowed. Those don't count, in my book though.

AND

I DID get a ball tossed to me by Kirby Puckett at the Big A in Anaheim after he warmed up prior to a game. I made a clean, nonchalant one handed grab too, and made eye contact with Kirby. That sorta counts, right?

AND

I came THIS close to catching Greg Gagne's 1991 WS game one HR in the left field stands. I had been in LF for so many BP's that I just KNEW, at the crack of the bat, that ball was coming RIGHT to me. It tracked perfectly, before it somehow just stopped in mid air and fell like a brick one row in front of me. You can see me reaching for it on the DVD of the World Series I own. 

AND

My daughter, who has been to probably 5 percent as many games as me, got a line drive foul off the bat of one Joe Mauer at the dome years ago. It bounced off several hands before coming to rest at her feet, where she calmly reached down and picked it up uncontested. She still holds that over my head like the Sword of Damocles.

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#38 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:07 PM

Way back in the Dark Ages my dad took me to a game at the Met to see the Twins play the Senators.We were sitting in the "box seats" along the left field line which were nothing more than glorified bleacher seats that were close to the field.During warm-up Frank Howard came by and tossed a ball to me when I wasn't looking so I didn't see it--it either bounced off a seat or my head and went farther up into the bleachers and someone else got it.That's as close as I've gotten in all my 60+ years.

But one of these days............

#39 Falcon73

Falcon73

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:46 PM

The best I can do is an 'almost'...

April 12, 2010 - First official game at Target Field

My brother and I had seats in the left field corner, down the foul line by the limestone wall.

In the 5th inning, with Carl Pavano on the hill, Mike Cameron sent a shot down the left field line.The ball ended up going between the foul pole and the limestone wall...bounced off of the railing in the left field bleachers...caromed straight back between the foul pole and wall...glanced off the foul pole and was headed straight for me.I put my hands up waiting to grab the ball and some jack-a$$ (my brother) reached his hand in front of mine and snagged the ball before I could put a finger on it.

It ended up being the first replay review in Target Field, which was helpful because I then had a number of replays showing that the ball was rightfully mine.Video replays also showed me shoving my brother after he usurped my one chance to catch an elusive baseball.

Ultimately, the foul call by the third base umpire was upheld and Cameron struck out on the next pitch.Twins won...all was good.

In the other 100+ baseball games I've been to, I haven't come close.

Edited by Falcon73, 12 July 2018 - 05:48 PM.

#40 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 4,840 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:15 PM

My daughter, who has been to probably 5 percent as many games as me, got a line drive foul off the bat of one Joe Mauer at the dome years ago. It bounced off several hands before coming to rest at her feet, where she calmly reached down and picked it up uncontested. She still holds that over my head like the Sword of Damocles.

Apple, tree, some assembly. 

• ashburyjohn likes this