Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Potential Suitors for Brian Dozier

brian dozier
  • Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#101 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,748 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:14 PM

- If the playoff game was tomorrow, I probably wouldn't start Gray over Gibson. If it was in 3 months I would certainly think long and hard about it. Gray has been a better pitcher throughout their careers, especially when you adjust for park. It's not even that close. 

- Fans don't matter. What we do, say and think has no bearing on how teams operate their roster. 

- Since the start of 2017.Jon Gray's GB% = 47.5%.Kyle Gibson's GB% = 49.7%. Jon Gray K%/BB% = 26.5%/6.8%. Gibson's = 19.7%/10.5%. What exactly makes Gray a bad fit for Coors yet Gibson a good one?

you'd have to ask teh team, in the middle of a playoff race, that sent Gray down that question.....

• nicksaviking likes this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#102 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:16 PM

you'd have to ask teh team, in the middle of a playoff race, that sent Gray down that question.....

Like the Twins sending Gibson down in a playoff race last year? 

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#103 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,475 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:48 PM

- If the playoff game was tomorrow, I probably wouldn't start Gray over Gibson. If it was in 3 months I would certainly think long and hard about it. Gray has been a better pitcher throughout their careers, especially when you adjust for park. It's not even that close. 

- Fans don't matter. What we do, say and think has no bearing on how teams operate their roster. 

- Since the start of 2017.Jon Gray's GB% = 47.5%.Kyle Gibson's GB% = 49.7%. Jon Gray K%/BB% = 26.5%/6.8%. Gibson's = 19.7%/10.5%. What exactly makes Gray a bad fit for Coors yet Gibson a good one?

Gray is a bad fit because four-seamers aren't naturally supposed to create groundballs but he is or the team is making him throw them almost exclusively low in the zone surely in an attempt to limit HR. They've been getting crushed with an ISO on his four-seamer of .234 this year, likely because the pitch location is so predictable.

He's pitching like a sinkerballer without a sinkerball.

#104 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:02 PM

Gray is a bad fit because four-seamers aren't naturally supposed to create groundballs but he is or the team is making him throw them almost exclusively low in the zone surely in an attempt to limit HR. They've been getting crushed with an ISO on his four-seamer of .234 this year, likely because the pitch location is so predictable.

He's pitching like a sinkerballer without a sinkerball.

4 seam fastballs get crushed because they miss middle up, which is what Gray's biggest problem has been (command), not because they consistently stay low in the zone

Edited by alarp33, 12 July 2018 - 01:03 PM.

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#105 TFRazor

TFRazor

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:56 PM

I never said the negotiation hinged on those splits.It was only an example of ways Dozier's value can be further deflated.As I said in the last post, there wasn't a market for him last year.There isn't much of a market this year and he now only a two month rental.

I guess we can sell the "Dozier gets hot in the second half angle" but then that is only lip service.What team is going to part with anything much by pinning their hopes on that?

A team that wants to win a title and thinks that they are just a 2B who plays solid defense and could give you 20+ homers away from winning it?

• Thrylos, Mike Sixel, jkcarew and 1 other like this

#106 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:35 PM

A team that wants to win a title and thinks that they are just a 2B who plays solid defense and could give you 20+ homers away from winning it?

That is all very cute, but we know what happened last year.

#107 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:37 PM

how so? I mean, I'd rather get fifty cents than nothing.....

Well, that's not exactly true. Getting a minor league player who has basically reached his potential is worse than nothing because the player simply becomes someone who takes up a position...

Edited by Aerodeliria, 24 July 2018 - 09:38 PM.

#108 mngopherguy

mngopherguy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:47 PM

Yes I do. If there's one thing the new regime has done is show ownership creative ways to acquire better talent by taking on additional payroll or eating more of a bad contract.

You may be right, you definitely trust them more than I do.  

#109 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:50 AM

I would be mildly surprised if the Twins don't get someone mildly interesting for Dozier. There is zero risk in signing him right before he hits free agency, and potentially a lot of reward for one year. And he's cheap.

#110 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,814 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:02 AM

I would be mildly surprised if the Twins don't get someone mildly interesting for Dozier. There is zero risk in signing him right before he hits free agency, and potentially a lot of reward for one year. And he's cheap.

No doubt we will be surprised. Sadly I doubt it will be pleasantly.
  • Dman likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#111 tvagle

tvagle

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:28 PM

A couple unexpected suitors for the Doze

https://www.mlbtrade...ian-dozier.html

Judging by the returns for Escobar and Pressly I'll suggest from the Giants:

Either/Iether/both

Blake Rivera #23 MLB Pipeline

Camilo Doval #21 MLB Pipeline

As for the other team...well...let's just say I hope that doesn't happen

EDIT: might consider the Taiwanese Yu-Tang-Clan dude

Edited by tvagle, 28 July 2018 - 12:33 PM.

Is it 2020 yet?

#112 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,420 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 28 July 2018 - 01:08 PM

Cleveland has a nice system, and it never hurts to pillage from it for 2 months of Dozier... That said, the guy that fits our need is Mejia, but that would be an overpay on Cleveland's part. I woudln't mind Shane Bieber or Bobby Bradley either.

The Giants system seems a bit weaker, though a few names woudl be good returns. Chris Shaw would fit into the teams' needs. Aramis Garcia might fit there too.

#113 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 01:30 PM

Cleveland has a nice system, and it never hurts to pillage from it for 2 months of Dozier... That said, the guy that fits our need is Mejia, but that would be an overpay on Cleveland's part. I woudln't mind Shane Bieber or Bobby Bradley either.

The Giants system seems a bit weaker, though a few names woudl be good returns. Chris Shaw would fit into the teams' needs. Aramis Garcia might fit there too.

If they trade with the Giants I would try and get Santos or Corry.Both young pitchers with upside.

From Cleveland I would take Oviedo or maybe Nick Sandlin and something extra added.

I would try and stick with young pitching that has upside.It shouldn't hurt teams too much to those types of players up because they are further away and because they are further away you can maximize the value you receive in trade.

• wyowib likes this

#114 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,748 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 03:36 PM

?

CLE already traded Mejia.....unless they have another one.

• Andrew Thares likes this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#115 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,420 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 03:39 PM

?

CLE already traded Mejia.....unless they have another one.

oops... well there's that.

• Mike Sixel and tvagle like this

#116 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,420 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 03:41 PM

If they trade with the Giants I would try and get Santos or Corry.Both young pitchers with upside.

From Cleveland I would take Oviedo or maybe Nick Sandlin and something extra added.

I would try and stick with young pitching that has upside.It shouldn't hurt teams too much to those types of players up because they are further away and because they are further away you can maximize the value you receive in trade.

Those aren't bad gets either, but with all the young upside pitching we have right now, there's a real 40 man issue here, unless these guys don't need to go on the 40 man any time soon. The team needs an ML ready C as well as a 1B/3B/DH type.I'd probably go for a hitter here unless Cleveland is dangling someone with ace potential at us (and I don't think they would). 

#117 tvagle

tvagle

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:41 PM

With this news maybe the 'Stros come calling on the Doze...it's a thought

Is it 2020 yet?

#118 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,420 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:27 AM

With this news maybe the 'Stros come calling on the Doze...it's a thought

I think it would be longer than a week and a half on the bench to get them to get a replacement. If he's out for the season, then yes.

#119 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:30 AM

YES, we actually are in agreement here.

Remember the Dozier thread last year? Seems hardly worth it to have a reprisal of what happened there. I would be interested to know what kind of prospect we'd get. I actually agree with beckmt. Hard to imagine doing much better than the QO. THat isn't what I want the Twins to do because I feel Dozier has to be moved at this point. He is not a fit here

Just a question, a qualifying offer is for 1 year if I'm correct, who is a better fit at 2nd base for the Twins next year?? Someone who hasn't even played there yet?

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#120 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:42 AM

I think it would be longer than a week and a half on the bench to get them to get a replacement. If he's out for the season, then yes.

Houston trading for Doz might work, but they missed a much better opportunity with Esco.

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brian dozier