Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Potential Suitors for Brian Dozier

brian dozier
  • Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#21 slash129

slash129

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

Since at the current time Dozier is not worth a QO, unless you think weare catching the Indians, sell him for the best offer

Unless that best offer is organizational filler that won't even be in the system in a year ... In that case, pass.I'd rather watch him play for two more months.

• mngopherguy likes this

#22 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:01 PM

Depends which WAR you use. According to Fangraphs Dozier has a lead of 1.0 to 0.6. Dozier also has a much better track record than Villar.So I guess if you’re the Brewers you have to ask yourself who would you rather have playing second base for you during a pennant run, Brian Dozier or Jonathan Villar? For me I’m taking Dozier in a heartbeat.

I might lean Dozier, but not enough to give up a real prospect.

#23 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:03 PM

If the Dodgers offer Will Smith, then the Twins should start to listen.I saw some comments about Yadier Alvarez on MBLTradeRumors, but he looks like a project at 22 and hasn't pitched many innings this season.

As long as we don’t toy with him as a starter like the Dodgers did, the Twins “should” be getting a younger version of Raisel Iglesias.

#24 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:04 PM

So? 

The Twins will be better off without Dozier than with Dozier taking reps from a prospect or someone who they need to evaluate in the second half.

YES, we actually are in agreement here.

Remember the Dozier thread last year?Seems hardly worth it to have a reprisal of what happened there. I would be interested to know what kind of prospect we'd get.I actually agree with beckmt.Hard to imagine doing much better than the QO.THat isn't what I want the Twins to do because I feel Dozier has to be moved at this point.He is not a fit here 

#25 slash129

slash129

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:04 PM

So? 

The Twins will be better off without Dozier than with Dozier taking reps from a prospect or someone who they need to evaluate in the second half.

That's certainly the most efficient approach, but I can't ever get on board with it.I'd rather watch two more months of Dozier than two months of Gordon making mistakes in the field and playing 56 wRC+ ball just to get his feet wet.

Unless, of course, I'm getting a return with a better than average chance of impacting the big club.  

#26 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:17 PM

I am trying to think of the opposition GM and why that person would want Dozier.He has 1.2 WAR which actually shocks me.He is batting 223 with a 309 OPS, He is slugging 402. He is 1.2 runs above replacement, but he is -2 runs against average.  

This is not a man who is going to be a difference maker.He is not a clutch hitter. He is just a good player and he is not batting like a good player right now.So if you ask me about Dozier I say how about Escobar. 

#27 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:26 PM

Dozier just homered into the upper deck. 

How does that affect his trade value? 

#28 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:30 PM

Probably not much, everybody knows he's going to hit 20+ solo HRs a year.

#29 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,544 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:31 PM

He needs to keep it up. He had a HR and a 2B the other day, so maybe he's heating up. If he goes nuts for a week and gets that OPS up a bit, some GM may come buying....

But if he doesn't get hot, I just don't see a GM giving up much for him. 

• Dman likes this

#30 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,273 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:35 PM

What troubles you about my post?

Be specific please and I will answer you.

I don't know what it had to do with who the suitors for him might be. 

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#31 ewen21

ewen21

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:51 PM

Still not sure what the trouble is.

But OK....life goes on

#32 Andrew Thares

Andrew Thares

Cedar Rapids

• Twins Writers
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:06 PM

Sorry I put them in bold font, but if you missed them it was the Red Sox, Dodgers, Brewers and Giants.

#33 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,273 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:41 PM

Sorry I put them in bold font, but if you missed them it was the Red Sox, Dodgers, Brewers and Giants.

I got what you were saying,, not what ewen21 was at all in terms of the topic of the thread.

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#34 Andrew Thares

Andrew Thares

Cedar Rapids

• Twins Writers
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:26 PM

I got what you were saying,, not what ewen21 was at all in terms of the topic of the thread.

Ah my mistake, I was really confused on how that could have gotten overlooked.

#35 Kato87

Kato87

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:31 PM

Unless a team is willing to break the bank for Scooter Gennett, I don't see the Reds trading him because value he does delivered the last 2 seasons.Much like the situation the Twins had with Dozier 2 offseasons ago

• snap4birds likes this

#36 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,858 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:38 PM

The fact is Dozier couldn't fetch much in last year's market and he is going to fetch probably less this year.
We saw the offer last year. What can we honestly expect when the guy has had a down year?

agreed!

It could also be the Twins have a lower threshold for acceptable return too.

#37 Kato87

Kato87

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:44 PM

Personally, I would trade Dozier to the Dodgers for Will Smith (Dodger #9 MLB prospect).The Twins have very little depth at catcher in minors (see Bobby Wilson), and Castro has 1 yr. left on his contract.Will Smith has been touted as an excellent defensive catcher and is hitting well in AA.Garver does not look good behind the plate.The Twins need more options...

• mngopherguy likes this

#38 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:57 PM

Generally speaking, the Dodgers and Red Sox have not been shy about being aggressive to win in the past. Which makes reported offers for Dozierin a deal to the Dodgers last year a bit strange. They seem the most likely suitors as they wouldn't be afraid of his remaining contact, (pretty small really), or his potential contract if they decided to bring him back, (Especially with a seemingly depressed market). And again, they have shown tendencies in the past to make big moves to put them over the top.

If I'm either of those teams I'm actually pretty excited to make the deal. (Especially since I have nothing at 2B currently). Dozier is a good guy and good teammate. Make jokes if you want, but he's solid defensively. He has a pretty nice record of production, albeit with a proven reputation for strong second halves. (Which is the point of acquiring him now as well). His contract for the remainder of this season is no burden. And I can let him go after the season if I just don't feel like its working out.

The bad news for the Twins is, he's only a half season rental and hasn't turned up the temperature of his production to normal standards yet this season. I think it's 50-50 he goes in a trade. I think it honestly comes down to a decent overpay for one of these two clubs, or the Twins keep him and make a decision in the off season how to proceed.
  • MN_ExPat likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#39 rghrbek

rghrbek

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:06 PM

Probably not much, everybody knows he's going to hit 20+ solo HRs a year.

and how did he do with RISP tonight?

• Thrylos likes this

#40 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:26 PM

and how did he do with RISP tonight?

0 for 2. He's a good hitter with nobody on the bases, but he hits like 2017 Logan Morrison when there's guys in scoring position.

Recalling conversations last year about trading him at the deadline... from what we knew, teams weren't offering very much. The demand for 2B does seem to be higher this year, but I still don't expect to get much for him.

• rghrbek likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brian dozier