Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins' Beat Writers Laying the Groundwork for a Smaller Payroll

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:48 PM

not sure how that matters at all......does it matter at all in your mind?

It should.

Reporters report. They are with the team daily.

Columnists give opinion. They try persuade and draw out emotions.
  • Thrylos, Riverbrian and mngopherguy like this

#22 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,724 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:55 PM

Are you saying that Reusse chooses to be pawn on behalf of the Pohlads/FO?....or, simply that something was deliberately leaked to him that he, in this case, happens to agree with. I'd buy the latter, but I'm not buying Reusse as pawn to any owners or front offices in this town. He's not Sid, and especially not at this stage of his career. (I'm not taking his side in the argument at hand.)

I also agree with the latter too. Souhan and Reusse jumped on it because they agree with the premise.
  • USAFChief and Mike Sixel like this

#23 jkcarew

jkcarew

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:59 PM

My assumption as well.

#24 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,778 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:00 PM

It should.

you don't think the team feeds columnists at all? 

I know that other companies in MN do, having talked to them about it....

We don't know, but it does seem an odd coincidence. Like I said, I hope they don't sit out FA completely.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#25 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,724 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:01 PM

It should.

You make it seem like Reusse and Souhan don't have seats in the press box.

#26 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:05 PM

Souhan and Reusse, who recently renewed their Pohlad Wallet Watcher credentials, wrote separate articles that spending money on free agents is bad.

Souhan focusing on the slow ramp up of free agents this last winter such as Cobb, Lynn, and Morrison. And throwing money at a problem is bad.

Reusse focused on the last two times the Twins had a record payroll, they failed. So why spend money?

http://m.startribune...oney/487577121/

http://m.startribune...talk/487617461/

These are both just terribly stated arguments. There are plenty of people on this site who would do a much better job with the same column length.

Reusse, in particular, argues that we “blew past” our previous high payroll, and then gives as examples of money wasted, Hughes and Santana. He also ignores the relative size of payroll considering the league-wide inflation over the past 8 years.

Souhan claims that because of analytics, every team knew that the free agents the Twins signed weren’t worth the money spent on them. But provides absolutely no evidence for this position.

This is why I generally don’t read these columnists, but come here for thoughtful and defendable opinions.
  • Mike Sixel and mngopherguy like this

#27 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:11 PM

You make it seem like Reusse and Souhan don't have seats in the press box.

I think it is important to discern the purpose of what I am reading whether it be sports or anything else. Reporters report facts. Columnists offer opinion and try to persuade or draw on emotions. It doesn’t matter where they are sitting. Purpose matters.
  • gunnarthor, Riverbrian, LA VIkes Fan and 1 other like this

#28 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,724 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:18 PM

I think it is important to discern the purpose of what I am reading whether it be sports or anything else. Reporters report facts. Columnists offer opinion and try to persuade or draw on emotions. It doesn’t matter where they are sitting. Purpose matters.

I wonder how they both came up with the same opinion. Maybe by speaking to people inside the Twins' organization?

I guess it's possible they had lunch together and decided they should both write articles about the Twins spending money.
  • Mike Sixel and Don Walcott like this

#29 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:36 PM

I wonder how they both came up with the same opinion. Maybe by speaking to people inside the Twins' organization?

I guess it's possible they had lunch together and decided they should both write articles about the Twins spending money.

Considering the quality of their arguments, I assume they did compare notes and decided they were covering two entirely different topics: “I’m writing an article about how the Twins were dumb to spend money on free agents.” “Well I’m writing an article on how all of the teams who wouldn’t sign free agents this past offseason were smarter than the Twins.” Cool, no redundancy there at all!
  • Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

#30 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,940 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:53 PM

People on this site have pushed those opinions for years. It's not exactly a secret. 

#31 jun

jun

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:13 PM

Spending money on free agents is good if the FO sign the right ones. 

• Twins33 and LA VIkes Fan like this

#32 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:26 PM

They are still like 20th in baseball in payroll, I think.
So, sure, by their own penny pinching standards, sure they've spent.
But compared to where the rest of the league is at right now, they are still trying to get by relatively cheap.
  • Twins33, Don Walcott, Battle ur tail off and 1 other like this

#33 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,443 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:57 PM

not sure how that matters at all......does it matter at all in your mind?

Yes.Beat writers are traveling with the team and are there pretty much every game. Souhan and Reusse are not.They have certain old buddies in the FO, that's about it.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#34 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,068 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:03 PM

I think it's a natural conclusion to draw after the autopsy is complete. It's isn't a stretch to consider both arriving at similar conclusions independently. 

• gunnarthor likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#35 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,068 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:33 PM

I don't completely disagree with the theory, but perhaps just once they could try the quality over quantity approach. Yeah, they got a lot of free agents, but every time a new one was reported, the word "bargain" was in the headline.

If the Twins aren't or shouldn't spend money on free agents, then they should do something completely game changing. Piss off the whole league by over paying for the best managers and coaches, the best GM, the best scouts, the best analytical minds and the best developmental personnel. Upgrading those positions would cost peanuts compared to the typical free agent spends.

Walk into Fenway flashing the $60M they aren't going to spend on players and say, "Who's coming with me?"

I've often thought the same thing from an outside the box viewpoint.

What if the Arms race changed from players to development? Or perhaps the question should be... why hasn't it? 

Instead of spending 12 million on Lance Lynn... Spend 12 million on a system that is gonna produce 10 Lance Lynn's.  

Take your analytics department and track the most successful scouts across baseball. Offer them double or whatever. Find the best analytical minds... Offer them double or whatever. Find the best hitting coaches and pitching coaches throughout the minor leagues and offer them double or whatever. Make Minnesota the easy place to say Yes to by compensating them a whole new level.

Go get these guys and get a head start on the competition. The other teams will of course eventually match once they realize that they are bleeding talent but you'll have a head start before they recognize the blood. 

Of course you would have to do a better job identifying these folks then the job you've done identifying the players that you are currently spending your resources on.:)

I'm getting tired of business as usual in baseball. I want my team to think outside the box and get rid of anyone who isn't able to think outside the box. 

• nicksaviking and Battle ur tail off like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#36 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,068 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:52 PM

Basically, the Twins need to do a better job evaluating the players they have. Something this FO has been frustratingly reluctant to do.

I hate to say it but the current plan seems to be:

Set the course and follow it in the river and hope that you reach the other side of the river before you sink.  

Founded 4-23-16 

#37 mngopherguy

mngopherguy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:50 PM

you don't think the team feeds columnists at all? 

I know that other companies in MN do, having talked to them about it....

We don't know, but it does seem an odd coincidence. Like I said, I hope they don't sit out FA completely.

It does seem like an odd coincidence, and knowing the Polads it is believable, but they have a different job than the beat writers.They generally write opinions (usually crappy ones) not facts.  

• Don Walcott likes this

#38 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:28 AM

How Jim Souhan has a job continues to amaze me.

#39 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,104 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:41 AM

Only my opinion of course, but I would be shocked if Reusse would function as a mouthpiece for ANYone.

He is a curmudgeon through and through, and worked long and hard to get to a place where he can actually BE a curmudgeon through and through to his heart’s content.

I believe he’d quit before he wrote a propaganda piece for the Pohlads.
  • nicksaviking and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#40 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:59 AM

Nothing these guys said is particularly revolutionary or even that insightful. All these guys really said is that spending a lot on free agents doesn't work unless (1) they augment an already solid or better core,(2) you pick the right ones, and (3) the Twins have done poorly ion the free agent marketplace. All true and all fairly obvious. Frankly, it looks like a reaction to the clamor to sign one or two high priced guys as the panacea for this team. I don't think that will work because (a) the Twins' core is not yet to the "solid or better" stage, getting there but not there (2) the free agents signed last year were not the "right" ones (I'd argue Duke, Rodney and Lynn could have been if the core was better, but that's another thread), and (3) there's no reason to think the Twins will do better because the team isn't great and free agents value winning. 

I'm confident that their views represent current management's thinking that this team needs more development time before free agents can put it over the top.They're just getting us ready for that reality. 

Edited by LA VIkes Fan, 11 July 2018 - 09:00 AM.