Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Real Deal: What Would It Take To Get J.T. Realmuto?

alex kirilloff
  • Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,284 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:52 PM

Seems like trading for this guy might be a good idea, but I haven't given it much thought....
  • Sconnie, Vanimal46 and tvagle like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#22 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:57 PM

I would think Killerhoff plus several pitchers like Mejia, May and Businetz or a similar group of pitchers. I dont want to give up a great hitter and potential ace for Realmutto.

I would rather overpay for Ramos as a FA for 3 years this offseason then overpay for Realmutto with what your offering.

Romero and Graterol are off limits
  • beckmt and mngopherguy like this

#23 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:58 PM

Also i think an extension to lock him up for 4 more seasons should occur if we are going to make this trade as well.
  • curt1965 and caninatl04 like this

#24 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 727 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:00 AM

I would think Killerhoff plus several pitchers like Mejia, May and Businetz or a similar group of pitchers. I dont want to give up a great hitter and potential ace for Realmutto.
I would rather overpay for Ramos as a FA for 3 years this offseason then overpay for Realmutto with what your offering.
Romero and Graterol are off limits

Mejia, May, and/or Busenitz would be an insult to the Marlins. We are never going to be able to make a trade with second or third tier players included. Like Doc said, the trade is going to hurt if it’s going to work. The position the Twins are in right now, IMHO no one is off limits!
  • slash129, SF Twins Fan and caninatl04 like this

#25 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:38 AM

Top-shelf starting pitching is the most important element in building a contending baseball team. Because the Pohlads consider the Twins a mid-market team, they will not spend Yankee money on hired guns. That leaves developing arms from the farm. It has been quite a while since the Twins had so many promising arms in their minor league system. Berrios, Romero and Gonsalves could be the nucleus of a good pitching staff for half a dozen years. Add a few more guys like Thorpe and Graterol, you might just have a contending staff, developed at an affordable price from within. 

Realmuto may be a great player, but lots of teams get by without a great catcher. Develop or buy a good defensive backstop when the rest of the team is ready to make a push. Let's not sell the cows before they have a chance to play the fiddle. You know what I mean.

• Twins33, 70charger, Blackjack and 3 others like this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#26 IaFan1

IaFan1

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:05 AM

The Twins have a core of young pitchers to go with Berrios in Romero, Graterol and Gonsalves. Why break that up for 2 years of a good catcher. I'm all in with Mitch Garver. And with Sano and Buxton failing badly I am not going to trade potential stars in Alex Kirilloff or Royce Lewis. Even as this year has been a fail it's easy to see a quick turn around in a year of two if Sano and Buxton get right and you have Lewis, Kirilloff, Gordon and Rooker knocking on the door. 

• Blackjack and SF Twins Fan like this

#27 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,445 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:38 AM

I remember a couple years ago, at the start of the 2016 season, people talked about a 29 year old Jonathan Lucroy like this. That unraveled quite quickly, as we look at mid season 2018. Realmuto will be 28 at the start of 2019 season. Mauer was going to be the catcher for a lot longer than he was, when at 28 in the middle of 2011, the still mysterious bilateral leg weakness was the beginning of the end, but the rising Wilson Ramos was foolishly traded the year earlier because Mauer would surely be catching for years (and we all know the rest of that saga).

Sure, it is a crap shoot, and Realmuto is, right now, the catcher everyone would like to have. I am a fan of trading prospects for MLB stars and players that have proven themselves. It will be real interesting to see what happens, but my bet is the Twins will not be the ones to get Realmuto. I think the best shot is to sign Ramos as a free agent in the off season, and the Twins are going to have plenty of money freed up, and neither Buxton nor Sano are showing the need a huge payoff in the next year or two. They both now have a ton to prove with consistency for that to happen, even if they both shine for the last half of this season. I really don't see the FO going for Realmuto with Buxton, Sano, and Kepler not progressing. If they had this year, yes. But as it is....it would be an incredible gamble. Can one player make this team a contender? Not if the rest don't pony up as well.

• Jerr, Twins33, SwainZag and 5 others like this

#28 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:55 AM

I totally get sending out Kirilloff with a guy like Gordon or Gonsalves. But to suggest that Romero would be an add-on to Kirilloff? Romero is significantly more valuable than Kirilloff, and he isn't even in the same universe as a guy like Gonsalves. That's a hard no from me.

You can't send off the only good pitchers you develop, especially for two years of a guy who's in the middle of a career year that we can't even use to contend. 

• Kevin, SF Twins Fan and mngopherguy like this

#29 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:31 AM

If you are not sold on Garver, why not pay Ramos like 4/$60 to cover the gap.Twins have very little in payroll the next couple of years, so an overpay or a good contract will not be out of the ballpark to cover this gap.  

• h2oface, Sconnie, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

#30 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,416 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:45 AM

Seems like trading for this guy might be a good idea, but I haven't given it much thought....

Lol
  • tvagle likes this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#31 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,416 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:57 AM

Giving up pitching like Romero or even Graterol kind of seems counter productive. I get that nothing is promised with Graterol, but this organization needs pitching help as much as they need a catcher so giving up either on top of Kiriloff might be a bit much for me. 

It really comes down to whether the Twins can, or in reality are willing, to extend or resign Realmuto. We're not going to like what they have to give up to get him. I can probably live with the price if they lock him up beyond 2020.

I actually think the Twins’ need for a great catcher is greater than the pitching needs right now. I would do Kirilloff + Graterol for Realmuto with blinking a few times, but I’d do it.

This is the trouble with trade discussions. We all want but when it comes time to give we all get too squeamish. You have to give to get, especially for a big piece that will be a difference maker.
  • USAFChief, gagu and tvagle like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#32 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,889 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:09 AM

I hate it when a thread likes this comes out, because everyone, including me, would really love to get Realmuto! Don’t think the Twins will do it- it just isn’t in the team’s DNA.
But IF they DID, it would be a sea change for this organization.
Here’s what I would do. I’d first meet with Realmuto to see if he’d sign a 3 year extension for $60 million. Think I’m crazy? The Twins paid Mauer $24million/year for 8(?) years.
If he agreed, we’d have him locked up for 5 years. I don’t know anything about him personally, but he could be the face of the franchise!
I’d include Lewis if I had to.
Something like:
Lewis
Gonsalves
+another Top 20 prospect

I said in an earlier post that I’d do Sano for Realmuto even up. Doubt the Marlins would do that, though.
But I agree with Nick- someone is going to make this deal- might as well be us!

If the Twins got caught negotiating a contract extension with another team's player, you'd see the biggest sanctions we've ever seen in pro sports, and Falvey and Levine would never work in a baseball FO again.

#33 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:23 AM

I’d rather not give up Romero, wouldn’t Gordon, Gonsalves, and Thorpe be enough already?

Not even close. 

• snap4birds likes this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#34 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,220 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:26 AM

On an earlier thread, poster dbminn estimated Realmuto's net value over the next 2.5 seasons (performance minus salary) around $60 mil.

Fangraphs came up with some prospect value estimates here:

https://www.fangraph...-100-prospects/

Virtually impossible to get a deal done without including an elite position player prospect (55+ FV), of which the Twins only have Lewis.

You can try to pile up prospects from the next tier (45-50 FV), but MLB trades rarely work that way. Plus that level of prospect isn't that scarce of a commodity (there were 97 50 FV prospects in Fangraphs preseason lists), so virtually every team in baseball could build a package around 2-3 of them for the best catcher in the game if that was all it took. And in any case, the Marlins already have more 50 FV prospects (7) than any team in baseball, so they would stand to gain the least from adding more at that level.

Maybe the Marlins don't get a better offer this month, but that doesn't mean they have to accept it. If the Lucroy trade is a guide, then equivalent offers will still be available to them this winter and next summer, at least.

Edited by spycake, 10 July 2018 - 06:29 AM.

• markos and Vanimal46 like this

#35 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,220 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:27 AM

If the Twins got caught negotiating a contract extension with another team's player, you'd see the biggest sanctions we've ever seen in pro sports, and Falvey and Levine would never work in a baseball FO again.

I think the implication is that we'd agree on the framework of a deal with Miami and get permission to talk extension. Like the Mets and Johan Santana.
  • ashburyjohn, USAFChief, Twins33 and 5 others like this

#36 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,712 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:28 AM

You got to trade from excess not shortage.At this point the Twins have nobody with top of the rotation staff, other than maybe Graterol.Romero will likely be better than Berrios.You can just not give them away.

Frankly, I'd start the conversation with the consensus former number 1 prospect in baseball.The Twins can use Realmuto more than Buxton (who is under 3+ years of team control) right now.If that's not enough, I'd add one of the LF hitting OFs in the minors (Wade, Kirilloff) and maybe even some with mid-end rotation ceiling like Gonsalves or Littell, and I'd try to pry a bullpen piece from them as well like Barraclough who is about to get very expensive.

• gagu, IaFan1, caninatl04 and 1 other like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#37 mazeville

mazeville

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:34 AM

I certainly do not trade Fernando Romero for two years of J.T. Realmuto. We might need catching, I don't disagree with that at all. But as I recall we also need a top starter and Romero has the stuff to pair with Berrios to sit atop the pitching staff for a long time. 

Romero and Kirilloff for Realmuto is too expensive in any event. Wait it out. 

• 70charger, SF Twins Fan, IaFan1 and 1 other like this

#38 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:36 AM

The Twins have a core of young pitchers to go with Berrios in Romero, Graterol and Gonsalves. Why break that up for 2 years of a good catcher. I'm all in with Mitch Garver. And with Sano and Buxton failing badly I am not going to trade potential stars in Alex Kirilloff or Royce Lewis. Even as this year has been a fail it's easy to see a quick turn around in a year of two if Sano and Buxton get right and you have Lewis, Kirilloff, Gordon and Rooker knocking on the door. 

This.

1) Castro and Garver can get the job done, other teams have won World Series without great catchers.

2) Good pitching is what wins, you need to keep any potential aces like Romero.

3) Will one very good catcher put the Twins over the hump?? I don't think so, plus you're putting all your eggs in one basket, if he gets hurt, then what?

• alarp33, olivia11, IaFan1 and 1 other like this

#39 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:42 AM

The Timberwolves and the Jimmy Butler come to mind here. They traded 3 young talented players for JB, he came in an lit a fire under the T-wolves, but then he got hurt and they struggled to make the playoffs. Now they're facing the fact that he is only signed for one more year, if he doesn't resign with them, the T-wolves are &*()*(*&, facing mediocrity for many years because they gave up their young player pipeline.

Is that the model we want the Twins to follow?

Trade for a player like Realmuto when you're closer to contention, Washington is there, the Twins aren't.

• Broker likes this

#40 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,692 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:57 AM

IDK... Garver has a wRC+ of 133 since 6/1.

How's his glove?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alex kirilloff