Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: 2018 Twins Midseason Top Prospect List: 16-20

luis arraez jacob pearson ryan jeffers lewin diaz yunior severino
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:28 PM

In the third round ... out of high school. And Mookie Betts was drafted in the fifth round, does that mean DaShawn Keirsey Jr. is going to be better then him?

C'mon man, I answered your question. Do you really view Jeffers as a typical second-round pick?

Yeah I have never seen analysts at such a loss for words when the Twins picked Jeffers in the second round.To be honest I expected him to sign for half the slot amount.So I agree, I don't see Jeffers as your typical 2nd round pick. 

After complaining about the pick I do like his bat.I know Elizabethton stats mean nothing as Max Murphy exploded there and flamed out in AA but with an OBP of nearly 500 I think Jeffers will do OK as he moves up. High A ball will tell the tale.If he hits there I believe he will make it.

Still between Jeffers and Larnach the Wonder Twins saved 1M in bonus pool money.I guess I don't know why they had to pay Sands and Kiersey so much over slot unless maybe they had deals in place for them?They did manage to nab a decent amount of high school guys with the savings I am just not sure they have as high of upside as you would like to see for those kinds of picks.

#22 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:16 PM

Questions Why is the FSL so tough on power hitters? If one had to guess, roughly where might Urbina land in the Top 40? In a dated article, MLB ranked him the third best international prospect.
  • gagu likes this

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,072 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:18 PM

Jeffers too low, Diaz way too high.

You have to at least be impressed that I was the low-man on the Diaz ranking, right? 

• Mike Sixel, h2oface and dbminn like this

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,072 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:27 PM

Most said it was a reach and maybe he was picked to help sign the HS'ers picked later in the top 10.

While I understand that the Twins drafted Jeffers, in part, because they had a pre-selection deal to save $500K... the other part of drafting him that high is because they likely value him higher than a third round pick too. In other words, they aren't just going to draft a guy in the 2nd round that they don't think has a chance to be a quality MLB player. While they understood where many of the online scouting systems didn't' have him as high, they could use that as a way to save the money, but they also obviously really wanted him in the organization. 

Then using the system to sign 4-5 other Top 10 picks just makes a ton of sense. 

• Mike Sixel, gagu and Tom Froemming like this

#25 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,072 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:29 PM

Questions Why is the FSL so tough on power hitters? If one had to guess, roughly where might Urbina land in the Top 40? In a dated article, MLB ranked him the third best international prospect.

For me, he''d be somewhere in the 15-20 range probably. But, he'd' be the kind of guy that could jump into the top 10 in a hurry once he starts playing. 

• gagu likes this

#26 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,226 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:37 PM

For anyone wondering, these rankings were compiled prior to the official announcement that the Twins had singed 16-year-old Venezuelan Misael Urbina to a $2.75 million bonus, so he is not included in the rankings.

He can't be a supplemental pick? ;)

#27 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,226 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:41 PM

I really like this group.And will repeat Thrylos' comment that this system just might be loaded.

Maybe. But these farm teams are losing a lot more than they have been for being so loaded. Sure, it is about development, but real good players and systems win at all levels.

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,862 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:12 PM

You have to at least be impressed that I was the low-man on the Diaz ranking, right? 

You and I have talked about him from the beginning! So yes, I was. Thanks, as always, for your awesome work, sir.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#29 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,862 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:14 PM

As a reminder, the FGs guys like Jeffers a lot more than some others did, and had him 77th overall. They also had Sands 78th overall. If FG is right, using those picks that way was impressive.

• Seth Stohs and gagu like this

#30 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,455 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:23 PM

Questions Why is the FSL so tough on power hitters? 

Bigger ballparks with taller walls due to the fact that most host MLB Spring Training.Comparing to the other A+ league, California League, the offense is very oppressed 

• caninatl04 likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#31 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,578 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:17 PM

Well, it's probably good nobody took Diaz in the Rule 5 draft, huh? Don't think he would have looked very good in the majors.

#32 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:31 AM

Maybe. But these farm teams are losing a lot more than they have been for being so loaded. Sure, it is about development, but real good players and systems win at all levels.

But several of these teams, Cedar Rapids for example, are very young.Expect that is one of the reasons for the records.And most are right around .500.

• 70charger and gagu like this

#33 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,862 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:52 AM

Well, it's probably good nobody took Diaz in the Rule 5 draft, huh? Don't think he would have looked very good in the majors.

It still amazes me some people were worried about this.....

#34 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:12 PM

In the third round ... out of high school. And Mookie Betts was drafted in the fifth round, does that mean DaShawn Keirsey Jr. is going to be better then him?

C'mon man, I answered your question. Do you really view Jeffers as a typical second-round pick?

I have no idea what a "typical second round pick" is.Really.Nothing typical about the draft.Each player is unique.

-----

#35 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:44 PM

I have no idea what a "typical second round pick" is.Really.Nothing typical about the draft.Each player is unique.

I asked because you said "If your recent second round draft pick is 18th in your system, your system is either crazy loaded, or he is underrated, or he is a bad pick." So it sounded like you were trying to say that typically a recent second-round pick should expected to be ranked higher than 18th.

• ashburyjohn and Mike Sixel like this

#36 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:01 PM

I asked because you said "If your recent second round draft pick is 18th in your system, your system is either crazy loaded, or he is underrated, or he is a bad pick." So it sounded like you were trying to say that typically a recent second-round pick should expected to be ranked higher than 18th.

Yes :)

And this system is kinda loaded and this draft was not.I think that the Twins have a whole bunch of what one would call "solid" prospects (where "solid" = more than what Travis Harrison ever was), but it is a bit thin on the top.I have been doing my mid-season top 60 this week after all the signings are done andI'd venture to say that other than maybe 4-5 players, it is hard to find players beyond that "solid" layer.They all have certain flaws.Which, of course, they may overcome at some point.But that "solid" layer is very thick (maybe even to 20-30 deep) for the Twins.

Edited by Thrylos, 11 July 2018 - 08:01 PM.

• Tom Froemming likes this
-----

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: luis arraez, jacob pearson, ryan jeffers, lewin diaz, yunior severino