Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Akil Baddoo Video at Fangraphs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dbminn

dbminn

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:01 PM

Eric Longenhagen included a paragraph on Baddoo in his 7/9 Daily Prospect Report. He said Baddoo is "a potential everyday player with power and speed". Included in the article is a 3-minute video of random in-game AB. 

I haven't bought the milb package this year, so I can only follow Baddoo by stats. Like they say, stats aren't scouting. But sometimes they show interesting changes. Here are his slash lines, K% and BB%, split by months:

April: .196/.375/.286, 36.5%K, 21.6%BB

May:  .240/.412/.373, 21.6%, 28.9%

Jun/Jul  .280/.345/.553, 16.6%, 9.0% 

Pretty obvious he's started to be more aggressive at the plate. It's remarkable that he could change so much between April and June.BBs are way down but so are Ks, while his power has exploded. His ISO is up from .090 in April and .133 in May to a serious .273 the past 40 days (that's Rooker territory). Seems impressive to me.  

* - ISO is defined as: isolated power = (slugging - average)

Edited by dbminn, 09 July 2018 - 05:01 PM.

• Parker Hageman, Monkeypaws, Einstein1 and 2 others like this

#2 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for posting that. I think Baddoo has a ton of potential.

• dbminn likes this

#3 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:53 AM

It's a good sign that he adjusted so quickly. He was raw coming out of high school, as FG noted, and is 19.

• dbminn likes this

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#4 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:05 PM

He puts a charge into the baseball when he connects - gets around those bases quickly as well. 

Thanks for posting.

• dbminn likes this

#5 jkcarew

jkcarew

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:13 PM

Eric Longenhagen included a paragraph on Baddoo in his 7/9 Daily Prospect Report. He said Baddoo is "a potential everyday player with power and speed". Included in the article is a 3-minute video of random in-game AB. 

I haven't bought the milb package this year, so I can only follow Baddoo by stats. Like they say, stats aren't scouting. But sometimes they show interesting changes. Here are his slash lines, K% and BB%, split by months:

April: .196/.375/.286, 36.5%K, 21.6%BB

May:  .240/.412/.373, 21.6%, 28.9%

Jun/Jul  .280/.345/.553, 16.6%, 9.0% 

Pretty obvious he's started to be more aggressive at the plate. It's remarkable that he could change so much between April and June.BBs are way down but so are Ks, while his power has exploded. His ISO is up from .090 in April and .133 in May to a serious .273 the past 40 days (that's Rooker territory). Seems impressive to me.  

* - ISO is defined as: isolated power = (slugging - average)

Just, FYI....Mike Sixel had started an on-going forum/thread "Fangraphs (and other national publications) on the Twins".And he had called this article out a few days ago in that thread.

Nevertheless...this is an interesting analysis/view of the changes he has been making to the approach.I'm high on Baddoo.A sleeper as he was injured his senior year of high school and declined the college route, so was seen as quite a risk...and slid in the draft a bit because of that.

• dbminn likes this

#6 dbminn

dbminn

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:08 PM

Just, FYI....Mike Sixel had started an on-going forum/thread "Fangraphs (and other national publications) on the Twins".And he had called this article out a few days ago in that thread.

Nevertheless...this is an interesting analysis/view of the changes he has been making to the approach.I'm high on Baddoo.A sleeper as he was injured his senior year of high school and declined the college route, so was seen as quite a risk...and slid in the draft a bit because of that.

Yeah, I'm an avid reader of Mike's thread. I was running out the door and couldn't find it so I just posted it fresh. Mike, if you read this, thanks for your work. Keeps me from having to read the fangraphs chats!