Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/8): Romero, Graterol Post Strong Outings

akil baddoo fernando romero brusdar graterol byron buxton miguel sano
  • Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 BJames

BJames

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:16 AM

AA- Wiel, Rooker, Arraez,Three guys to watch.Vargas,Buxton,Wade at AAA.

#22 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:46 AM

As far as innings go, does it make much of a difference if he throws 60-70 pitches per game through the end of the year vs 95 and is shut down in mid-August? Either way I think it sets him up with the same potential for a full season next year. The latter at least keeps his rhythm and routine consistent.

I was thinking more giving him a break, like the Astros did with McCullers back in 2015. I wouldn't want to be pulling him at 60 pitches every game.

#23 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:49 AM

His demotion was because he was struggling a little and they wanted to get him sorted out. Maybe they saw a couple things they wanted him to focus on in a lower pressure environment before they got worse. I don't see the problem with that.

I don't necessarily see a problem with that either, although the fact that they waited until after Odorizzi had a bad start to send down Romero suggests that maybe their priorities and reasoning weren't quite so clear as you claim.

#24 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:50 AM

I was thinking more giving him a break, like the Astros did with McCullers back in 2015. I wouldn't want to be pulling him at 60 pitches every game.

I suppose. The overall workload doesn't change much either way. I guess I just place extra value keeping the routine and practicing the same way you play (assuming playoffs are out of the question this year).

#25 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:12 AM

What is Trevor Plouffe (Red Wings report) doing, 32 and still kicking around in the minors?You'd think he'd take the hint, either become a coach or get a real job.

If he loves the game and his family is cool with it, why? He's already made enough money (about $20M per Baseball Reference) to live comfortably for the rest of his life (unless he's been dumb with money, which he doesn't strike me as that type).

• 70charger and adorduan like this

#26 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:21 AM

I suppose. The overall workload doesn't change much either way. I guess I just place extra value keeping the routine and practicing the same way you play (assuming playoffs are out of the question this year).

Honestly, in the modern game, you don't really have to limit his pitch counts or give him much extra rest to control his innings. A lot of guys are only averaging 5 IP per start anyway.

• mikelink45 likes this

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,842 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:27 AM

Soooo safe to say innings reduction isn't a concern for Romero?

Raising the question....what is the plan? I think it is showing Lynn and Odo for trade.....

As for "working on things", he can do that in the majors....though maybe psychologically that is hard.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#28 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:36 AM

If he loves the game and his family is cool with it, why? He's already made enough money (about $20M per Baseball Reference) to live comfortably for the rest of his life (unless he's been dumb with money, which he doesn't strike me as that type).

Agreed. Also, Plouffe and his wife just had their first child this past winter, so they probably still had some flexibility to move around this season. I imagine as the child grows, that will change. This was the first time in 7 years where he had to open the year in the minor leagues, so it's not like he's been barnstorming a lot.

FWIW, this article mentions the date that his family moved with him to Lehigh Valley, and Plouffe has hit .273/.414/.598 for a 1.013 OPS in 169 PA since then (after starting the season .187/.287/.293 for a .581 OPS in his first 87 PA):

http://www.mcall.com...0523-story.html

He might only be a Maikel Franco injury away from joining the Phillies, or maybe they would release him to pursue a similar opportunity elsewhere.

#29 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:36 AM

Speaking of 19 year olds, there are four young men at Cedar Rapids who are either 19 or just turned 20...Baddoo, Pearson, Lewis and Miranda.Its going to be fun watching this group move up the ladder, hopefully, all the way to the Twins in 2-3 years.

Getting Pearson for monopoly money looks to be a savvy move for the FO.  

• Mike Sixel, scottz, Dman and 3 others like this

#30 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:02 PM

Raising the question....what is the plan? I think it is showing Lynn and Odo for trade.....

As for "working on things", he can do that in the majors....though maybe psychologically that is hard.

And Gibson too, probably... Romero will be back, but I 100% agree that getting him the MLB experience early was a good thing,, but he really struggled in his latest 4-5 outings, so I think letting him work on some things back at AAA is a good thing. Psychologically, mentally, etc. 

Then again, I think that NFL teams should do things like... If the starting QB is struggling for a half, put in the backup for one series and let the starter watch from a different angle, then get him right back up there to work on that thing. I think a pitcher can learn a lot from a short demotion and then get him back. Right after the trade deadline makes sense as there may be an opening or two at that time. 

• Mike Sixel and Taildragger8791 like this

#31 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:04 PM

Agreed. Also, Plouffe and his wife just had their first child this past winter, so they probably still had some flexibility to move around this season. I imagine as the child grows, that will change. This was the first time in 7 years where he had to open the year in the minor leagues, so it's not like he's been barnstorming a lot

He might only be a Maikel Franco injury away from joining the Phillies, or maybe they would release him to pursue a similar opportunity elsewhere.

That was their second child. Their first child must be around 3 by now.

But yes, if he has a confidence from the Phillies organization that he truly would be that one call away if something like a Franco injury happens, then why not keep it up.

#32 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:54 PM

Kind of interesting that Adalberto Mejia was used in relief by the Wings.  

Is a change to the BP in his future or was this just a one-time thing?

• 70charger likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#33 jkcarew

jkcarew

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:26 PM

I read the title and expected to read about a strong start from Graterol. I guess everything’s relative. One one hand, a half season’s worth of starts like that might actually slow his ascent. On the other hand, it was way, way better than his first start at Fort Myers. But the numbers ‘19’ and ‘101’ trump anything that appears in the box score. Understandably so.

#34 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:46 PM

That was their second child. Their first child must be around 3 by now.

Good catch! The article didn't mention that one specifically, but I did see it also contained a reference to "children", plural.

#35 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:15 PM

I read the title and expected to read about a strong start from Graterol. I guess everything’s relative. One one hand, a half season’s worth of starts like that might actually slow his ascent. On the other hand, it was way, way better than his first start at Fort Myers. But the numbers ‘19’ and ‘101’ trump anything that appears in the box score. Understandably so.

He gave up one run through the first six innings. I'll take that anytime... What happened in the 7th inning obviously matters but for a prospect, what happened in the first six innings matters a whole lot more to me. 

• ashburyjohn likes this

#36 jkcarew

jkcarew

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:48 PM

He gave up one run through the first six innings. I'll take that anytime... What happened in the 7th inning obviously matters but for a prospect, what happened in the first six innings matters a whole lot more to me.

Yes, it was decent for sure...strikeouts a bit pedestrian for a power arm...a few more pitches. But only his second game at this level...and I suppose a starter will never see the 7th inning by the time Graterol is in his prime.

#37 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:18 AM

Yes, it was decent for sure...strikeouts a bit pedestrian for a power arm...a few more pitches. But only his second game at this level...and I suppose a starter will never see the 7th inning by the time Graterol is in his prime.

6 innings of one-run ball from a 19-year-old in his second start at High-A....

#38 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,469 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:10 AM

I second that, wholeheartedly. Sunday I blogged* about watching Yankees prospect Justus Sheffield carve through Pawtucket's lineup like a hot knife through butter, getting guys out with his heater and not necessarily with his off-speed stuff. He weakened in the fifth and was out of the game after one out in the sixth. His pitching line that game looks good but unremarkable. But man, a coaching staff can do something with talent like that - work on pacing himself just a little more, work on building up endurance instead, work on special tactics for when he's tiring, and if all else fails, you may have a stud reliever at very worst. But, if a guy can't get guys out in the first inning? What can you do with him?

* waxed eloquent, some will say, others will say droned on and on, still others will say tl'dnr :)

• Seth Stohs likes this

Everyone hates me because I got cured of paranoia and they didn't.

#39 jkcarew

jkcarew

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:55 AM

6 innings of one-run ball from a 19-year-old in his second start at High-A....

I concede.Two of his base runners scoring in his last inning with him in the clubhouse.It was a strong start.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#40 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:53 AM

What is Trevor Plouffe (Red Wings report) doing, 32 and still kicking around in the minors? You'd think he'd take the hint, either become a coach or get a real job.

And, as if on cue, the Phillies just brought Plouffe back to the major leagues:

https://www.mlbtrade...oby-milner.html
  • Twins33 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: akil baddoo, fernando romero, brusdar graterol, byron buxton, miguel sano