Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/7): Rooker, Keirsey Lead Walk-Off Wins

brent rooker dashawn keirsey zack littell griffin jax chris williams
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:09 AM

At least we know Buxton's got the speed to stick at short.

• ashburyjohn, Mike Sixel and tarheeltwinsfan like this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#22 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,980 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 July 2018 - 05:12 PM

At least we know Buxton's got the speed to stick at short.

loss_for_words.gif

• jimbo92107 likes this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#23 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:59 PM

Who will the Twins drop, release, demote...when Buck returns to the team?

#24 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,261 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:49 AM

Since he's only been around for less than a year, it's easy to forget how young Littell is and how hard the Twins have pushed him.

Littell started last season in High A, entered this year with only 14 starts above that level and is still only 22-years-old. He's younger than all of the following pitching prospects: Stephen Gonsalves, Fernando Romero, Kohl Stewart, Griffin Jax, Tyler Wells and Charlie Barnes.

Littell is the eighth-youngest player to appear in the American League this season. But I still agree with your main point. I'd rather see Romero or Mejia back or Gonsalves get a crack before Littell is brought back up to the Twins. He's not quite ready for that.

Littell is relatively young, but I get the impression that he was an "early bloomer". Maybe it's the beard. :) Perfect Game had him listed at 6'4, 201 lbs back in his draft year of 2013, and he was still only 17. (That seems to be the source of his age advantage, that he basically graduated high school a year early.)

In that sense, he reminds me a bit of Gonsalves. Gonsalves was 19 for his pro debut, but he's another big kid who reached AA for 13 starts in his age 21 season. (Of course, Gonsalves was then asked to repeat AA each of the following 2 seasons...)

Also interesting is that Littell has been traded twice already, first by the Mariners for a reliever, next by the Yankees for 2 months of Jaime Garcia. So despite his size/age/stats, maybe he's still seen as a bit of an underdog, stuff-wise?

And I posted this elsewhere, but maybe this isn't the right organization for Littell to get an opportunity. We tried to jump-start him with call-ups already, but looking at our roster, he may only be 8th or 9th on our SP depth chart for 2018-2019.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brent rooker, dashawn keirsey, zack littell, griffin jax, chris williams