Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

I'm traded, NOW what do I do?

addison reed mike bernardino
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 brvama

brvama

• 603 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:39 PM

Mike Bernardino has a good piece about being traded through the eyes of Addison Reed.You can read it here:ttps://www.twincities.com/2018/07/06/addison-reed-traded-three-times-offers-deadline-advice-for-twins-teammates/

He's been trade three times and offers his advice to others and the potential and how to deal with the emotions of it.Sound advice, IMHO, from him.We often look at the trade deadline as a simple transaction.The players do have some forces working on them during this time and it was good to hear about how Reed dealt with his trades. 

• nicksaviking and Sconnie like this

#2 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,885 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:46 PM

So this is why the front office wanted to bring in veteran leadership: to offer "deadline advice for Twins teammates".

• nicksaviking, brvama, Danchat and 3 others like this

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#3 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• 338 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:08 PM

Or - they could talk to LaTroy Hawkins.

• h2oface likes this

#4 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 755 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:34 PM

Trades also uproot young families. People almost never think of that. A player has to go on to the next team, but his poor wife has to move the household and kids, or else just get used to the idea that her old man ain't going to be around at all for a while. 

Ah the glory of being a pro athlete. 

#5 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:40 PM

Trades also uproot young families. People almost never think of that. A player has to go on to the next team, but his poor wife has to move the household and kids, or else just get used to the idea that her old man ain't going to be around at all for a while.

The poor wife has a husband making at least $500 K. Many make much more. Let’s not pretend the poor wife is lugging the piano up a flight of stairs on her back. She has all the help money can buy.
  • Thrylos, laloesch and wsnydes like this

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,184 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:49 PM

This happens every day in the world. 

Unfortunately most of the people who have to leave their families to get a job to make ends meet do not even make 1/100th of the MLB minimum wage....

• wsnydes likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 spycake

spycake

• 17,145 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:11 PM

The poor wife has a husband making at least $500 K. Many make much more. Let’s not pretend the poor wife is lugging the piano up a flight of stairs on her back. She has all the help money can buy.

Most trades also involve minor leaguers making quite a bit less than that. Or rookies who have only made a fraction of $500k so far.

And there are certain aspects where money isn't a complete solution. Kids changing schools or being further away from their father, etc.
  • ashbury and Riverbrian like this

#8 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,741 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:23 PM

I'm just starting the process of moving from Indianapolis to Cleveland. I wasn't traded per se, but my wife had an opportunity that we could not refuse, and since my job could care less where I live, it made sense to do it. Her future employer has been so kind as to give us the cash we need to relocate as well, so money really isn't the issue at hand.

That said. There's nothing easy about it, and certainly not something that we should casually dismiss because they are rich and can afford it.Finding a home takes time. Finding schools (if kids are involved) is a big issue too... and if the kids are older, I can guarantee you that they aren't too terribly receptive to moving. Even if someone else is moving the piano, there's still a ton of things/stress to be worked out. The logistics can be a nightmare... and no matter how much money you have, there's a huge time component that is even more difficult when one member of the family is on the road 2+ weeks a month (which in my case is me).

For the record, I'm not saying, dont' trade. I'm just saying that there is a human component to it, and I can empathize with that, even if I'm coveting the prospects received in the exchange. It's not easy on the person being traded. Let's recognize that for what it is and not diminish what Reed has to say.

• ashbury, Thrylos, brvama and 5 others like this

#9 mngopherguy

mngopherguy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 219 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:13 PM

This happens every day in the world. 

Unfortunately most of the people who have to leave their families to get a job to make ends meet do not even make 1/100th of the MLB minimum wage....

People get traded in the everyday world?

• Riverbrian and Wyorev like this

#10 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 5,492 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 July 2018 - 05:36 AM

People get traded in the everyday world?

my employer “trades” employees between wholly owned subsidiaries. It’s not an uncommon thing to hear “you have a new position, show up on Monday” and require a long distance move.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: addison reed, mike bernardino