Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: MIN 5, BAL 4: More Baltimore, Please

kyle gibson bobby wilson max kepler trevor hildenberger jake cave
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:57 AM

Kyle Gibson’s trade value is 0% impacted by his ranking in our rotation. That ranking is utterly irrelevant to his value to anyone, including the Twins.

What makes him valuable is team control .....

First of all, play on the field is the most important thing, but good play always means you are higher on the pecking order. And the higher you value your pitchers the higher the asking price. So you will ask more for your #2 than you will your #4. And I don't believe for a second that other teams don't give consideration to where the pitcher is on your rotation's pecking order. Teams also know whether they need a #3 or #4. They trade to try to fill those holes. 

These are people, not robots. Analyzing them as if they are fungible commodities and elevating control or arbitration eligibility isn't the most important thought about what builds a winner.  You need to see the whole picture. And a guy who is a leader and good teammate is going to be in demand much more than a meathead with two years of team control. Who cares if you have control if the guy is a cancer in the clubhouse?  And I have had players with a million dollar arm and a two bit brain. You don't value the arm as much as you otherwise would, because of the brain. This is why guys with attitude problems don't get many calls while guys who are winners are in demand.

Time under control is a mere secondary consideration. Its nice to have control, but who cares about control if he is not good for your team? Your trading partner has to want the pitcher in the first place.

#22 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:06 AM

The win is nice and all, but I am terrified that this game will be a catalyst for more Bobby Wilson.

I wouldn't diss a guy the day after he just won us the game. Let him feel good for at least one day...

I have criticized Bobby's hitting, and I don't think unfairly. But I always hope our guys break out. I don't root for a guy to fail so he will be sent down just because I like somebody better. So even though I have been critical of Wilson, I was happy when he hit that double. Maybe he will hit better now.... maybe

Morris was saying that the coaches and pitchers like Wilson because he calls a good game. That is part of the game that we don't get inside info on, so I was glad to hear at least one reason why Wilson is playing. Castro is the starter when he is back, so it will be interesting to see if the Twins are open to bringing in a #1A catcher, or if they will muddle through with a committee approach.

#23 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,204 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:58 AM

First of all, play on the field is the most important thing, but good play always means you are higher on the pecking order. And the higher you value your pitchers the higher the asking price. So you will ask more for your #2 than you will your #4. And I don't believe for a second that other teams don't give consideration to where the pitcher is on your rotation's pecking order. 

Quick....see what the price tag is for the #1 in the Orioles rotation!Then we'll have two aces! 

Where a dude lines up in your rotation is relative to the talent on your roster. The Yankees don't care where Gibson ranks in our rotation, they care about what he would add to their team on the field and how long he would add to it. 

#24 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:47 PM

Quick....see what the price tag is for the #1 in the Orioles rotation!Then we'll have two aces! 

Where a dude lines up in your rotation is relative to the talent on your roster. The Yankees don't care where Gibson ranks in our rotation, they care about what he would add to their team on the field and how long he would add to it. 

Where you are in a team's rotation is relevant to your team, sure. But it is also relevant to whether the OTHER team even wants you.  Nobody is going to come calling for the Twins #5 or the Birds' #5 down the stretch.  They are interested not specifically by where you are in the rotation, but where you are in the rotation speaks to your ability, and hence value.

My point is, if you need to add pitching, you don't trade away your #2.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle gibson, bobby wilson, max kepler, trevor hildenberger, jake cave