Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins Trade Rumors

trade rumor fernando rodney
  • Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#121 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:17 AM

If the Orioles are in hard sell mode, I wonder if Adam Jones could be a potential target for our Twins. Not as a win-now move, but more as a RH OF, veteran leadership option. I also don't know what his contract situation is. 

He's a free agent

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#122 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,725 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:23 AM

Veteran Leader? Who is he leading?

• mickeymental likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#123 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:23 AM

Do you understand Escobar is a free agent at the end of the year?

Yes, when is the last time you saw a guy leave here in a trade then sign back? It rarely, if ever happens. 

Get a deal done with him either now before the season ends, or before the free agency period. I don't trade the guy. Once he goes to a winner, he will not want to come back to this losing organization. 

#124 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:28 AM

Not only that, but the poster you responded to is okay with worst case scenario Escobar starts next year, and switches back to utility for the remaining 1-2 years of the contract.

Imagine the angst having a $10 million backup infielder on roster.

Who said he is getting 10 mill a year? I'd sign him for 3/25 and not give 2 ****s if he plays 100-120 games around the infield if he's a backup. So sick of this type of thinking that spending a little bit of money is forbidden for this team. The payroll for this team as of right now and in Target field can and should be 120-150 million or more every year.

Edited by Battle ur tail off, 10 July 2018 - 11:29 AM.

#125 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:30 AM

Yes, when is the last time you saw a guy leave here in a trade then sign back? It rarely, if ever happens. 

Get a deal done with him either now before the season ends, or before the free agency period. I don't trade the guy. Once he goes to a winner, he will not want to come back to this losing organization. 

That one time with Rick Aguilera

• Battle ur tail off likes this

#126 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,313 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:35 AM

Who said he is getting 10 mill a year? I'd sign him for 3/25 and not give 2 ****s if he plays 100-120 games around the infield if he's a backup. So sick of this type of thinking that spending a little bit of money is forbidden for this team. The payroll for this team as of right now and in Target field can and should be 120-150 million or more every year.

Other teams may have a say in how much he gets paid. I will be shocked if it's anything below $10 million AAV.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#127 USNMCPO

USNMCPO

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:37 AM

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

The big rumor at MLBBLOGTradeRumors is that Dave was quietly dealt to YankeesDaily for a blogger prospect currently posting about the Florida State League. 

The kid is putting up 50-60 posts per day. VERY high level prospect. Of course, YankeesDaily prospects tend to be somewhat overrated, so who knows if he'll make his way here and produce at that level.

• GP830 likes this

#128 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,354 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:47 AM

Other teams may have a say in how much he gets paid. I will be shocked if it's anything below $10 million AAV.

I would have said that too, before last off-season, but now I'm not sure what to expect.

• Mike Sixel likes this

A slim chance equals a fat chance, yet a wise man and a wise guy are opposites.

#129 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,968 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:04 PM

Carson Kelly anyone?

#130 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,725 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:08 PM

Carson Kelly anyone?

Certainly started off like Buxton.....

He's the kind of C that people here have been saying the team should target, near ready according to minor league stats.

Just don't look at his offense so far this year in STL....

• TheLeviathan and Vanimal46 like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#131 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:13 PM

The Cardinals are a good match with two catching prospects near ready and Molina.

Edited by jorgenswest, 10 July 2018 - 04:14 PM.

#132 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,313 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:42 PM

Carson Kelly anyone?

I would be interested if he's on the trade block. The Cardinals are one of the few teams truly on the bubble. Not sure if they're buying or selling.

#133 flags

flags

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:50 PM

Look at the numbers all you want. Rodney simply doean't pass the eye test with me.

this is hilarious to me.the guy has been in the league since 2002 and has 320 saves(19th all time). saves are definitely a flawed stat and he's definitely no Mo Rivera but 16 year major league careers don't just happen, and he'll likely net the twins 1 or 2 mid-level prospects at the age of 41.i'm glad your "eye test" was never a major league scout 

#134 jun

jun

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:10 PM

I think recency bias has everyone looking at Eduardo Escobar as a vastly better player than Brian Dozier.

I doubt MLB GMs view it that way, particularly if they're looking for a 2nd baseman.

Dozier is less than 2 years older, is most likely a better defensive 2nd baseman, and is almost certainly a better hitter. He's been a better hitter for the last four years.

Contracts aren't much of a factor, neither are signed past this year.

My guess would be Dozier is a better hitter for the remainder of 2018 than Escobar.

Better hitter with stats? I would prefer a clutch hitter even if he has worse stats. Dozier hardly delivers when it really matters.

Edited by jun, 10 July 2018 - 11:13 PM.

• Danchat and Platoon like this

#135 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:30 AM

Finally!Reed on the DL, Busenitz up. Something was clearly wrong with Reed. 

#136 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:47 AM

this is hilarious to me.the guy has been in the league since 2002 and has 320 saves(19th all time). saves are definitely a flawed stat and he's definitely no Mo Rivera but 16 year major league careers don't just happen, and he'll likely net the twins 1 or 2 mid-level prospects at the age of 41.i'm glad your "eye test" was never a major league scout 

Yah, the guy looks to be what he always has been. A guy that can give up some walks or a few hits here and there, but his stuff is still good. In fact, I can't believe how good it still is at his age. If anything, he passes to eye test IMO.

#137 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,313 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:36 AM

Summary: Twins are in the early 'feel it out' stage. Don't appear to be full on sellers quite yet.
  • scottz likes this

#138 NewClearHarley

NewClearHarley

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 01:22 PM

I love all the people calling for the Twins to sell everyone now. Next year those same hucksters will say we need to sell Rosario and Kepler before we cant afford them - cause "we need to get whatever we can get for them before they walk" and then in 2020 those same people will say we need to sell Romero and Berrios to get some prospects for them. It is laughable that some posters want the Twins to become the new Rays or the As.

Newsflash - it is ok to keep some of our own FA-to-be's.

• rdehring and mngopherguy like this

#139 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:18 PM

I love all the people calling for the Twins to sell everyone now. Next year those same hucksters will say we need to sell Rosario and Kepler before we cant afford them - cause "we need to get whatever we can get for them before they walk" and then in 2020 those same people will say we need to sell Romero and Berrios to get some prospects for them. It is laughable that some posters want the Twins to become the new Rays or the As.

Newsflash - it is ok to keep some of our own FA-to-be's.

I don't see people asking for young players to be traded. They're asking for upcoming FA's to be traded, most of whom are over 30 years old. That's different than what your post is about.

Gibson isn't a FA but he's over 30. And Escobar is their youngest FA to be, I think. I wouldn't mind keeping him, but it's wise to trade him and then re-sign him if he wants to come back.

You don't need to build your team around aging vets.
  • TheLeviathan, Sconnie and Dman like this

#140 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,788 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:11 AM

I think recency bias has everyone looking at Eduardo Escobar as a vastly better player than Brian Dozier.

I doubt MLB GMs view it that way, particularly if they're looking for a 2nd baseman.

Dozier is less than 2 years older, is most likely a better defensive 2nd baseman, and is almost certainly a better hitter. He's been a better hitter for the last four years.

Contracts aren't much of a factor, neither are signed past this year.

My guess would be Dozier is a better hitter for the remainder of 2018 than Escobar.

Dozier has heated up lately. You could be right. Dozier through June was so bad hitting and fielding. During his renaissance Dozier has been streaky, but not had the bad streak be this long or this deep.

My take has been that Escobar is 18 months younger, so less likely to hit the age cliff that seems to take effect on middle infielders. Combine that with Escobar’s step up over Dozier in fielding and Escobar’s recent hitting excellence, it’s been my preference to keep Escobar and extend him for a couple years.

With the recent winning streak driven largely by Dozier and Mauer’s hitting, and Romero coming back up for his start today, I wonder if the FO is backing away from sell mode a bit.
  • jun likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trade rumor, fernando rodney