Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Trade Rumors

trade rumor fernando rodney
  • Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#61 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,982 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:29 PM

If its a good deal, sure.You might also consider giving one of them a qualifying offer and getting a draft pick if they don't accept.

And pay $17 million in 2019 for the ghost of Dozier's past?

No.Thank.You.

• jun and big dog like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#62 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 9,982 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:35 PM

Edit: kinda rough that the guy the Twins drafted about 17 slots ahead of Syndergaard now pitches for the Sugar Land Skeeters of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball.

He was cut from the Skeeters after two games.Skeeters' roster here.He was cut from the Baby Cakes after 4 games in April earlier.

Edited by Thrylos, 08 July 2018 - 03:35 PM.

• Monkeypaws likes this
-----

#63 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:33 PM

Dozier they have to take whatever they can get. Escobar I would only trade if the offer is good. Given that there are far more sellers than buyers, I don't expect to get a premium for anyone. I would offer Escobar a reasonable extension or take the risk of tendering him. I would not risk it with Dozier. 

• LA VIkes Fan and birddog like this

#64 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,593 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:39 PM

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are.

I don't care who I am either.

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, Twins33 and 4 others like this

Nothing is impossible for the one who doesn't have to do the work.

#65 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 05:56 PM

oh heck no, but with attrition being what it is, you need Ben Rortvedts in every level of your development org. Last I saw, he was about it in the pipeline.

Except for the, what, 17 or 18 catchers they drafted this year...

#66 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,321 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:19 PM

Except for the, what, 17 or 18 catchers they drafted this year...

that’s the point. Can’t even identify if it was 17 or 18. How many of them will actually stick? How many of them are fringe prospects?
  • caninatl04 likes this

#67 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:33 PM

If its a good deal, sure.You might also consider giving one of them a qualifying offer and getting a draft pick if they don't accept.

No way do either deserve a QO. If hey did they would have to accept it because teams have been so tight on giving up draft compensation for FA's.

Unless Dozier has a great 2nd half he will not be getting over QO in any long term deal.

• Sconnie likes this

#68 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,282 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:44 PM

This... Personally, I'd QO Escobar... probably not Dozier. So if I trade Escobar, it had better be for a higher quality prospect. 

The Twins will be picking high (quite possibly top 5) and will have (I think) a competitive balance pick as well. Add a QO pick to that and they will have a very large pool to use to collect higher ceiling prospects. That's a big reason why everyone loved their 2017 draft. They came away with a lot of talent due to how they used their draft pool. 

• birdwatcher likes this

#69 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,282 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:49 PM

Yeah, it's nothing special, but Gearrin is a semi-useful player and Jackson wouldn't be the worst fit for this team either.Bahr has plenty of reasons to roll the dice on him.

I just wish the Twins were open to this sort of trade.

Isn't that what they did last year at the deadline to pick up Littell?

• WLFINN likes this

#70 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,321 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:50 PM

This... Personally, I'd QO Escobar... probably not Dozier. So if I trade Escobar, it had better be for a higher quality prospect.

The Twins will be picking high (quite possibly top 5) and will have (I think) a competitive balance pick as well. Add a QO pick to that and they will have a very large pool to use to collect higher ceiling prospects. That's a big reason why everyone loved their 2017 draft. They came away with a lot of talent due to how they used their draft pool.

17 mil for one year of Escobar is a lot, considering you might be able to sign him for 2 years 20 mil. That being said, I’d prolly QO him too, if I couldn’t get a 2-3 year deal done

Edited by Sconnie, 08 July 2018 - 06:52 PM.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

#71 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,739 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:34 PM

Neither Dozier nor Escobar are likely worth 17M and I'd guess the team wouldn't offer them the QO.

But the team could probably offer it to both of them and still struggle to meet an $80M payroll. Deals that are perceived as more favorable to the players doesn't necessarily make them bad deals if your team can't spend the money anyway. I hope the team keeps that in mind this offseason, not just for their own players but all free agents.

#72 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:07 PM

If Dozier has a strong second half or Escobar a solid second half I would rather overpay on a one year deal through a qualifying offer. I don’t want that second or third year where they are ineffective yet still on the team due to contract.

For Escobar I would want a return surpassing a comp pick. For Dozier it needs to approach comp pick. That bar really isn’t very high. More than half of the players drafted in that pick range never reach the majors. There is about a 10% chance of a very good player.
  • birdwatcher, Monkeypaws, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#73 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:18 PM

Seriously, would you offer Dozier or Escobar a qualifying offer? You WOULD do better to trade both and then come back at them in free agency, especially since that is the direction Dozier will be taking.

Instead of one year at $17 for Escobar, you could probably get 2-3 years for $20-25 million total. I don't see anyone blowing up the marketplace for either hand in the off-season, and if either ARE traded, their stock may drift fuirther down as they would probably fulfill more of a secondary role on any contending team NOT suffering a major injury in the middle infield.

I can see he front office being hesitant negotiating with Escobar right now. They do have to make some decisions, sooner rather than later. Is Mauer coming back? Would Sano be a possible first baseman? Do they wish to take a chance on Rooker at 1B/DH. Is there life left in Kennys Vargas. Who do we then put on third if NOT Escobar.

Yes, Belisle seems to be treading water towards being the closer replacement if Rodney goes. Which is sad. Pressly will probably be worn out. The Twins won't use Reed. Hildenberger also will be worn down. You don't want to hand it to a minor league guy out of the chute. And, again, in a true rebuild you don't really need a light's out closer. But you also don't need someone you wouldn't negotiate with in the off-season taking up a roster spot.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#74 nater79a

nater79a

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 967 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:56 PM

His best case ETA is sometime during the 2020 season, and that's if he continues to progress as he moves up. He's a great prospect, but we will need someone to bridge the gap and be there if he takes longer to develop.

No doubt there'll need to be a bridge to Rortvedt at the catcher position.

Was just referring to the fact that there might be a catcher of the future in the organization, even if it's a ways off.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

#75 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:05 PM

The Rangers got an interesting prospect for taking on some salary dumps.

Wishful thinking that the Twins could be in on that right?

Given what we've seen I'd say there's a better chance the Twins are the one doing the dumping.

Can they sell 19' draft picks yet?........

#76 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:13 PM

The only scenario I see the Twins trading Escobar is if they’re able to land a big prospect like Sixto Sanchez from the Phillies. It’s been reported that they’ve already moved on from Baltimore’s steep price on Machado, sooo Philly could come calling soon.
  • birdwatcher and Sconnie like this

#77 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,321 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:15 AM

Seriously, would you offer Dozier or Escobar a qualifying offer? You WOULD do better to trade both and then come back at them in free agency, especially since that is the direction Dozier will be taking.

Instead of one year at $17 for Escobar, you could probably get 2-3 years for $20-25 million total. I don't see anyone blowing up the marketplace for either hand in the off-season, and if either ARE traded, their stock may drift fuirther down as they would probably fulfill more of a secondary role on any contending team NOT suffering a major injury in the middle infield.

I can see he front office being hesitant negotiating with Escobar right now. They do have to make some decisions, sooner rather than later. Is Mauer coming back? Would Sano be a possible first baseman? Do they wish to take a chance on Rooker at 1B/DH. Is there life left in Kennys Vargas. Who do we then put on third if NOT Escobar.

Yes, Belisle seems to be treading water towards being the closer replacement if Rodney goes. Which is sad. Pressly will probably be worn out. The Twins won't use Reed. Hildenberger also will be worn down. You don't want to hand it to a minor league guy out of the chute. And, again, in a true rebuild you don't really need a light's out closer. But you also don't need someone you wouldn't negotiate with in the off-season taking up a roster spot.

With Escobar, this week, I would make one more offer of extension, 2 years 20 m for ‘19 and ‘20, if he declined, I’d look to trade him at the deadline along a similar threshold as Jorgenwest had. If no trade, then I would QO. I don’t see Sano sticking at 3rd. There’s no one in AA or AAA to man the hot corner.

With Dozier, I would try to trade him for whatever I could get. If he goes on one of his second half binges, maybe he can be traded in August. He didn’t have much trade value two off seasons ago, he surely doesn’t have much now. Re-signing Dozier for a 1 year make good would be ok. I’m not sure Gordon is ready for the bigs, but he’s close enough. Dozier doesn’t seem like a better option than a not quite ready Gordon at this point.

It’ll be interesting to see if Rooker gets some AAA time this year. He could be in the mix for DH/1b at some point in ‘19.

#78 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:10 AM

I'm sorely disappointed in the dearth of actual rumors in this thread, given it's length.  We need some actual juice here.  Where's Dave?

• gunnarthor, Oxtung and Dman like this

#79 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 9,982 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:10 AM

The only scenario I see the Twins trading Escobar is if they’re able to land a big prospect like Sixto Sanchez from the Phillies. It’s been reported that they’ve already moved on from Baltimore’s steep price on Machado, sooo Philly could come calling soon.

The same Sixto Sanchez who is on the DL with elbow inflammation?

-----

#80 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,896 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:45 AM

I'm sorely disappointed in the dearth of actual rumors in this thread, given it's length.  We need some actual juice here.  Where's Dave?

The big rumor at MLBBLOGTradeRumors is that Dave was quietly dealt to YankeesDaily for a blogger prospect currently posting about the Florida State League. 

The kid is putting up 50-60 posts per day. VERY high level prospect. Of course, YankeesDaily prospects tend to be somewhat overrated, so who knows if he'll make his way here and produce at that level.

• Carole Keller, Han Joelo, diehardtwinsfan and 11 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trade rumor, fernando rodney