Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins Trade Rumors

trade rumor fernando rodney
  • Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:28 AM

MLBTR: Red Sox Interested In Fernando Rodney

https://www.mlbtrade...ndo-rodney.html

(Maybe we need a general Twins trade rumors thread now?)
  • glunn and jkcarew like this

#2 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:45 PM

With the Twins on the outside of the American League Central race -- a crisp 11.5 games behind the Indians on July 7th -- the team has been rumored to be an active seller. Nick Nelson recently profiled some of the more interesting trading pieces, including closer Fernardo Rodney, who ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reports has drawn the attention of the Boston Red Sox:

With the exception of MLB-leading five blown saves (the most recent of which coming in Milwaukee on July 2nd), Rodney has given the Twins plenty of value. If Nelson's projection of one or two decent prospects in return for the Red Sox (or any suitor, really), then it would be difficult to consider the Fernando Rodney Experience anything but a success.

• glunn and tarheeltwinsfan like this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#3 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 02:17 PM

Is it worth pursuing Blake Swihart in combination with a prospect? The Red Sox don’t use Swihart at catcher but Leon and Vazquez set a pretty high defensive bar.
  • tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#4 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 02:21 PM

Is it worth pursuing Blake Swihart in combination with a prospect? The Red Sox don’t use Swihart at catcher but Leon and Vazquez set a pretty high defensive bar.

Do not think that would work, but interesting concept, and maybe with a small extra piece it would work.Just worry the Swihart cannot catch well enough to play at this level, but Twins would have time to find out (and could DFA Morrison to make more room).

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,778 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 02:35 PM

Not interested in Swihart, unless he's the second piece, and the first is one hundred times better. They won't play willians or Garver, Swihart is worse. .
  • Dman and Major Leauge Ready like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#6 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:14 PM

Not interested in Swihart, unless he's the second piece, and the first is one hundred times better. They won't play willians or Garver, Swihart is worse. .

So definitive. How are you so certain?

#7 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,802 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:25 PM

Always looking for a Swihart deal. 

Did I have to do that?

• ashburyjohn, luckylager, Mike Sixel and 15 others like this

Baseball is easy. Just watch!

#8 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:52 PM

During the brewer game they were talking about acquiring Dozier. Said they thought he was a good guy and don’t have to give up the farm for him. FWIW
  • Oldgoat_MN and Sconnie like this

#9 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:13 PM

and don’t have to give up the farm for him.

Yeah, I think the primary reason teams might be targeting Dozier right now would be a perceived low cost. Which, if low enough, might be reason enough to hold onto him.

#10 Broker

Broker

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minn.

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:15 PM

Look at the numbers all you want. Rodney simply doean't pass the eye test with me.

• by jiminy likes this

#11 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,597 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:18 PM

Yeah, I think the primary reason teams might be targeting Dozier right now would be a perceived low cost. Which, if low enough, might be reason enough to hold onto him.

If a few teams would pursue Dozier because of (rightfully) perceived low cost, might one be willing to up the ante to break the tie?
  • ashburyjohn and MN_ExPat like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#12 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:34 PM

Rodney would work fine in a middle inning role for any playoff contender. The problem is I don't think the Twins would get much more than what they did for Kintzler last year (Tyler Watson caliber).

• TRex and Nine of twelve like this

#13 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,451 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:45 PM

Always looking for a Swihart deal. 

Did I have to do that?

"Surely you'd like to play for the Twins, Swihart."

"Don't call me Shirley, and don't call me sweetheart." *

If Nelson's projection of one or two decent prospects in return for the Red Sox (or any suitor, really), then it would be difficult to consider the Fernando Rodney Experience anything but a success.

Usually I don't count "and the sooner it happens, the better" as an unalloyed success, but I'll make an exception this time.

* Yes, I basically just re-used your same joke. Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery.

• nicksaviking, Platoon, Dave The Dastardly and 1 other like this

We couldn't afford fire alarms, so Dad hung Jiffy Pop over the doors.

#14 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,778 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:07 PM

So definitive. How are you so certain?

I spent a lot of time looking at him, and reading comments all over the web. No one likes him anymore.
  • Monkeypaws likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#15 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:20 PM

If a few teams would pursue Dozier because of (rightfully) perceived low cost, might one be willing to up the ante to break the tie?

Probably not, at least not meaningfully so. Low-cost guys usually aren't worth upping the ante for. Maybe you can get them to include their next DFA candidate like Enns. Maybe they will eat a little more cash.

But if you want a notably better return, they'll probably look elsewhere.

#16 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:30 PM

I spent a lot of time looking at him, and reading comments all over the web. No one likes him anymore.

I'm reading the same stuff. His star has tarnished.

#17 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:31 PM

The only thing that could change that it is if Dozier happened into one of his patented second half hot streaks.But it has to happen soon.

Of course, if he goes into a hot streak Twins fans will hollering for the front office to sign him to a 4 yr/ $120 million contract!

• Major Leauge Ready, Platoon and Doctor Wu like this

#18 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,443 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:34 PM

the team has been rumored to be an active seller.

If there are just rumors, then the might be passive, but not active sellers...

Re: Rodney (and other trades.) The Twins are close to being competitive and really cannot afford to trade for prospects 2-3 years away.Their bullpen is a huge need at this point, and they should try to get someone who is close this season and caught up into the numbers.The Red Sox have plenty of these types, with Ty Battrey, likely the most prominent. If they can get him for Rodney, he will be the Twins' closer for a while...

• Oldgoat_MN and MN_ExPat like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#19 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:35 PM

The only thing that could change that it is if Dozier happened into one of his patented second half hot streaks. But it has to happen soon.

If he doesn't heat up soon, maybe he could clear waivers at beginning of August and get traded some time that month.
  • jun, nater79a and Platoon like this

#20 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:37 PM

How high was Swihart at one time on the various national top-100 lists?Top 20?

Quite the fall.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trade rumor, fernando rodney