Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/6): Diaz Powers Miracle Win

lewin diaz blayne enlow tyler wells lamonte wade nick gordon
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:11 PM

So another dominant start for Wells, yet still no promotion? What does he have to do? Pitch a no-no? I seriously think even within the Twins organization Wells is a highly underrated prospect. All he’s done is pitch great in every level thus far and continues to improve year after year. Oh by the way Wells now is #30 on the MLB Pipeline prospect list.

Thanks- Do you mean #30 for the Twins?
I note that whoever did the review dinged his change up. So, I am guessing they are holding him back until he develops a third (and maybe fourth) pitch.
  • 108Stitches likes this

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,551 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:43 PM

It's a minor move if he doesn't block Wade.... Another LH? Don't got it at all

I almost assume that Chris Carter had an opt-out of his deal and the Twins obviously weren't going to call him up, so they probably were just looking for someone to help the Red Wings. Doesn't seem like the type that would get a call up. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#23 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,578 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:58 PM

I almost assume that Chris Carter had an opt-out of his deal and the Twins obviously weren't going to call him up, so they probably were just looking for someone to help the Red Wings. Doesn't seem like the type that would get a call up.

Fair take. Thanks

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#24 108Stitches

108Stitches

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:53 AM

@caninatl04 Wells has 4 solid pitches , in fact he already has 3 very good pitches- a fast ball they can’t seem to square up on very well at all, ridiculous curve, very good slider, and just “good” change up. You obviously haven’t seen him play much.

#25 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,261 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:13 AM

Regarding Wells promotion. Marzi is 0-7 with a 7 era and is still there. Yes he had a great strikeout game with 11k in 5 but that doesn’t win games. I think it’s time to swap spots with someone with a 5+ era and get Wells a shot to see if he can continue his dominance in every level he’s been in. He is at the top or near the top of every league he’s been in for ERA and Whip and average against. I saw the ETA is 2020 but if he continues I don’t see why we couldn’t get a peek in 2019 in the bigs.

I'm not sure I'd go so far to say Wells has been "dominant" at high A. 2.58 ERA is nice, but it's a pitcher's league -- minimum 40 IP (eliminating most relievers), Wells' ERA ranks 17th, and it's only a 12 team league. His K rate is right around league average. And he's not young for the league (almost 24), and at 6 foot 8 inches, with that downward plane -- you'd like to see him striking out more batters. A low BABIP is nice, but I'm not sure how projectable that is. Poppen, Stashak, and Vasquez have all been promoted already, with higher K rates. (Marzi strikes me as an org filler type, so I wouldn't be too concerned that he got promoted "ahead" of Wells.)

I might promote Wells too, but he will have plenty of opportunity to rise quickly if he truly starts dominating and missing bats. He's not Rule 5 eligible until after the 2019 season.

#26 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Administrators
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:45 AM

And one kid is listed at 6’3”, 160lbs. Exactly how is that possible?

I was young once, too. :)

That's been my listed measurements since I was 17! :)

(I'm double that now...)

• ashburyjohn likes this
Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#27 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,261 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:51 AM

That's been my listed measurements since I was 17! :)

(I'm double that now...)

You're 12'6"? Wow!

• ashburyjohn, Steve Lein, Yoke and 2 others like this

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:39 AM

@caninatl04 Wells has 4 solid pitches , in fact he already has 3 very good pitches- a fast ball they can’t seem to square up on very well at all, ridiculous curve, very good slider, and just “good” change up. You obviously haven’t seen him play much.

If those descriptions were objective, he'd be a top 30 prospect in all of baseball.
  • Mike Sixel and caninatl04 like this

#29 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Administrators
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:53 AM

You're 12'6"? Wow!

Right after I posted that I knew someone would point that out even though the context is there  :)

• ashburyjohn likes this
Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#30 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,261 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:15 PM

Right after I posted that I knew someone would point that out even though the context is there :)

You may be 12'6" but at least we can see eye to eye on this.

• ashburyjohn and Steve Lein like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lewin diaz, blayne enlow, tyler wells, lamonte wade, nick gordon