Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Way too Early 2019 Roster - Quick Fix for the Offense

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:37 AM

When the options are guys like Morrison and Vargas, I'd actually prefer to have Mauer back for another year or two. Yeah, his best days are behind him, and he has no power to speak of, but he can still get on base and he fields his position well. Even with this new front office, I don't see them getting rid of an icon like Mauer. Now, if he feels burned out and/or not producing up to his standards, I could see him retiring. Otherwise, bring him back. The other ideas (Machado, Realmuto) are enticing and exciting to think about, but I just don't think they are realistic.

• LA VIkes Fan and mngopherguy like this

#22 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:25 PM

When the options are guys like Morrison and Vargas, I'd actually prefer to have Mauer back for another year or two. Yeah, his best days are behind him, and he has no power to speak of, but he can still get on base and he fields his position well. Even with this new front office, I don't see them getting rid of an icon like Mauer. Now, if he feels burned out and/or not producing up to his standards, I could see him retiring. Otherwise, bring him back. The other ideas (Machado, Realmuto) are enticing and exciting to think about, but I just don't think they are realistic.

There are plenty of other options aside from LoMo and Vargas.
Free agent 1B are pretty easy to find.
  • Danchat likes this

#23 Tomj14

Tomj14

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:16 PM

There are plenty of other options aside from LoMo and Vargas.
Free agent 1B are pretty easy to find.

The free agent first basemen don't look so good for next year.

Mauer, Matt Adams, Lucas Duda, Chris Carter, Pedro Alvarez

#24 tvagle

tvagle

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:18 PM

I know some like to think that every decision made by an organization is based on statistical fact and conducted in a data-bubble...truth is it's not

Mauer will be an icon signing...local boy...MVP...face of the franchise...Well Played Mauer and my guess is he'll finish his career a one team guy. Hope is that it's for as little as possible agreed

As for the realistic-ness of Realmuto and Machado my point is both are bold moves at a time when it might be possible to pull them off...I'm fine with a Jack Morris move for Machado, OVERPAY for a couple years and a chance at the Big Ring...ask what it will take and give him a couple Million more

Prospects are just that, Prospective Players that people hope turn out to be something special...for every Berrios there's three-times as many Willie Banks...Frankie Rodriquez...types that never do pan out

Just tired of pushing the Window/Goal Posts back another year and another year and another year

#25 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:44 PM

The free agent first basemen don't look so good for next year.
Mauer, Matt Adams, Lucas Duda, Chris Carter, Pedro Alvarez

You forgot Hanley Ramirez.

#26 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:48 PM

As for the realistic-ness of Realmuto and Machado my point is both are bold moves at a time when it might be possible to pull them off...I'm fine with a Jack Morris move for Machado, OVERPAY for a couple years and a chance at the Big Ring...ask what it will take and give him a couple Million more

So in this scenario Manny Machado is basically going to have his choice of teams, and he's going to give the Minnesota Twins the exact number needed and allow them to make the final offer? And the MN Twins are going to outbid the Yankees, Dodgers, Phillies, etc?

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#27 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:03 PM

Did I miss it, or are you missing Jason Castro?

#28 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:38 PM

Thinking about a starting staff of...

• Berrios
  • Gibson
  • Pineda
  • Odorizzi
  • Romero/Gonsalves/Mejia/Slegers

One can never have too many starters, plus Pineda will be entering his first full season in a couple years and the No. 5 options are still young. So I wouldn't mind another proven veteran on a one-year deal, a la what we might have gotten with a full spring training of Lynn.

At present, my first choice is:

• Consider picking up the option on Ervin Santana. Given how close we seem to be to his return, we'll have more than two months of evaluation. If those two months go well, I'd think about taking the additional year. I recognize that it's a slight overpay, but I think there's huge benefits in having a known quantity, and it continues to give flexibility with the one-year deal. 

So while we're at it, I'll offer a bullpen option to go along with your returnees of:

• Hildy
  • Busenitz
  • Pressly
  • Rogers
  • Reed
  • Moya
  • May and the herd of guys in Rochester

Let's look for an economical option with a K/BB ratio over 3.0, a K/9 over 10, and an ERA+ of 140+. Which leads us to:

•  Another year of the Fernando Rodney Experience. A couple of those blown saves have really hurt, but I don't yet get the eagerness to trade him or assume that he shouldn't be back, when he could be picked up for $4.25MM. 

I know that all looks like just re-upping this year's YTD statistically average staff, but it's not. It drops Lynn's ERA+ of 80 and miscellaneous pieces of Hughes, etc., replacing them with Pineda and Santana and a year of experience for the young bunch. To me, the list above is an above-average staff.

The other thing all that does is lock in the salary values on the pitchers, freeing up the front office's Daytimers in time to set up a tent in Manny's front yard.