Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Way too Early 2019 Roster - Quick Fix for the Offense

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 tvagle

tvagle

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:54 AM

After watching zero meaningful offensive output for...well most of the season here's a High Risk attempt to jump start the offense in 2019 (note could be done this July if more prospects are sacrificed)

Offensive Fix

Here's how to get it done

RE-SIGN CURRENT TWINS
Mauer 2 years and negotiate the $$...for place holder I'll use $7M/year for 2 years
Escobar $10M/year for 3 years
Rosario, Buxton, Kepler, Sano ARB1 guys estimating $2M-$3M for each of them

FREE AGENTS
Pick your Closer/Setup Dude - Cody Allen $39M/3years
Machado - Open up the wallet and pay so much he can't say no - $30M/year for 10 years - $35M for 8
Guy will be 25...fits current core's age and plays everyday, maybe he'll be a good role model
Worst case he's Victor Martinez for the last 3 years

TRADES
Quit wishing and hoping and dreaming that a semi-bargain catcher will come through...it's gonna cost but in this dream Falvine are gonna get Realmuto
I'd hope including Romero with Gordon and/or another arm or bat should work (wouldn't want to but gotta spend to get)

LINEUP
Polanco
Rosario
Machado
Realmuto
Escobar
Sano
Kepler
Mauer
Buxton

STARTERS (If they've been keeping this offense in games this year why not roll with them again)
Berrios
Gibson
Pineda - Lance Lynn replacement for a year unless great
Odorizzi
Mejia - Slegers - Gonsalves - Whoever has options left next year

BULLPEN
Finally we just ride with the young arms...i'd even let Pressly ride off in the sunset
Pick a FA Closer

Can't be tied to anyone other than Berrios and the Ed's from this season...want to part ways with Mauer? use the $7M elsewhere that works too, I think the Twins will re-sign him for however long he'd like at a hometown price
Duffey/May in place of Pressly saves $3M
Adrianza too spendy in ARB slide in a $1M utility guy
Kepler/Rosario needed to get Realmuto...then move Rooker/Wade up

If Falvine are the Wonder Twins it's time for them to Activate Their Powers and do something to make their mark

This post brought to you by the 2005 Cream Reunion Concert...Clapton playing the same as 40 years earlier??
  • Carole Keller, Mike Frasier Law, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

"We were open for business on several players, but just couldn't put a deal together that we liked...our biggest pickups will really be the return of All-Stars Sano and Santana as well as the Platinum Defensive player of the year in Buxton...adding those three to our lineup in the second half without mortgaging any future assets is really the best of both worlds"

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,740 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:17 AM

I like a lot of this, other than Mauer. He's done, imo. Thanks!
  • Carole Keller, Sconnie, KGB and 2 others like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#3 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:22 AM

No 10 year contracts to anyone!

• jun, Broker, jud6312 and 2 others like this

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#4 NapoleonComplex

NapoleonComplex

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:24 AM

The only way the Twins will ever land a FA like Machado is if we egregiously overpay. It ain't my money ... DO IT!!!

• Mike Frasier Law, Circus Boy and dbminn like this

#5 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,184 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:24 AM

I’ve actually made similar comments. I think it would take 3-4 pieces but that the pieces are large and costly. I think they could do this and still have a reasonable payroll. But if I’m Machado, I’m not sure the money is what signs him and I think it would take more than 30mil/yr. and I don’t see this FO/owner okaying a 10 yr contract. But, I still think this is very doable without completely bloating payroll a la the Yankees.
  • snap4birds likes this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#6 snap4birds

snap4birds

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:38 PM

But, I still think this is very doable without completely bloating payroll a la the Yankees.

Looking at the chart, I'd guess the "payroll bloat" would start in 2020 trying to re-stock the starting rotation.Would definitely need Romero, Gonsalves, et al to eat up some of those spots.  

• mngopherguy likes this

#7 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:30 PM

I think it is pretty likely the Indians resign or QO Cody Allen. He’s one of the only good relievers they have. And Miller is a FA.
  • mngopherguy likes this

#8 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:39 PM

This was fun - great work!

• Sconnie and dbminn like this

#9 mngopherguy

mngopherguy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:02 AM

1. I don't trust the owners to get to the 132 million you want.

2. I'm not spending 25% of my budget on one player.That's asking for clubhouse issues at some point.It isn't fantasy baseball to the Twins.

3. No 10 year contracts period.

4. I'm not trading Romero for a catcher.  

5. The pitching isn't good enough to make it past the central.Besides Berrios, not one starter is a guywho can win in the playoffs.  

6. Cleveland is going to resign Allen.Maybe you can find a closer.

7. No bench bat.If you have Cave, you don't need Granite.  

Regardless of my disagreements, it was a fun read.  

• 70charger, Sconnie and Doctor Wu like this

#10 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,099 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:43 AM

Machado is a pipe dream but it's a good pipe dream. Amazing how much better he makes our lineup. 

My guess is the FO isn't going to make these sort of longterm plans until they see more of what they have in Sano and Buxton. If they can come back after the all-star break and put up a decent August/Sept run and give the FO reason to think they can be counted on for a full season, I think they might make those sort of aggressive moves. But I think it's unlikely that they would do so and we're more likely to see payroll drop to the bottom 7 or 8 team range.

• Sconnie and tvagle like this

#11 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,789 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:08 PM

After watching zero meaningful offensive output for...well most of the season here's a High Risk attempt to jump start the offense in 2019 (note could be done this July if more prospects are sacrificed)

Here's how to get it done

RE-SIGN CURRENT TWINS
Mauer 2 years and negotiate the $$...for place holder I'll use $7M/year for 2 years
Escobar $10M/year for 3 years
Rosario, Buxton, Kepler, Sano ARB1 guys estimating $2M-$3M for each of them

FREE AGENTS
Pick your Closer/Setup Dude - Cody Allen $39M/3years
Machado - Open up the wallet and pay so much he can't say no - $30M/year for 10 years - $35M for 8
Guy will be 25...fits current core's age and plays everyday, maybe he'll be a good role model
Worst case he's Victor Martinez for the last 3 years

TRADES
Quit wishing and hoping and dreaming that a semi-bargain catcher will come through...it's gonna cost but in this dream Falvine are gonna get Realmuto
I'd hope including Romero with Gordon and/or another arm or bat should work (wouldn't want to but gotta spend to get)

LINEUP
Polanco
Rosario
Machado
Realmuto
Escobar
Sano
Kepler
Mauer
Buxton

STARTERS (If they've been keeping this offense in games this year why not roll with them again)
Berrios
Gibson
Pineda - Lance Lynn replacement for a year unless great
Odorizzi
Mejia - Slegers - Gonsalves - Whoever has options left next year

BULLPEN
Finally we just ride with the young arms...i'd even let Pressly ride off in the sunset
Pick a FA Closer

Can't be tied to anyone other than Berrios and the Ed's from this season...want to part ways with Mauer? use the $7M elsewhere that works too, I think the Twins will re-sign him for however long he'd like at a hometown price
Duffey/May in place of Pressly saves $3M
Adrianza too spendy in ARB slide in a $1M utility guy
Kepler/Rosario needed to get Realmuto...then move Rooker/Wade up

If Falvine are the Wonder Twins it's time for them to Activate Their Powers and do something to make their mark

This post brought to you by the 2005 Cream Reunion Concert...Clapton playing the same as 40 years earlier??

Excellent work! Thanks for pulling this together!

All of it looks realistic on an individual player level, but not for the Twins. I highly doubt the Pohlads ok another 130m payroll after this debacle. My guess is payroll next year will be around 110m. My other guess is ‘20 is when they’ll make a push again
  • mngopherguy likes this

#12 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:20 AM

Why would the Twins pay Mauer $7 mil to hit 8th in likely fewer than 120 games?

That is not wise usage of limited payroll dollars or limited roster spots nor does it maximize talent. Mauer has one season since 2013 with an OPS over .752.

It seems hypocritcal to me when some criticize the FO for foolish spending on retreads or washed up vets but yet are willing to fork over almost double the avg MLB salary to a guy that has averaged barely 2 bWAR the last 5 seasons.

It is time for Mauer to retire IMO. If he doesn’t feel that way, I suspect he will after all the offers he doesn’t get this offseason. There simply is no spot on the modern roster for a part time player that doesn’t produce. No way any other team gives him $7 mil per year. To do what? Odds are most every team already has a better first baseman/DH at the MLB level or one chomping at the bit or both.

#13 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:27 AM

CF- Byron Buxton (OF)
C- J.T. Realmuto (C/1st)
SS- Manny Machado (SS/3rd)(200mil/8yrs)
LF- Eddie Rosario (OF/DH)
3rd- Eduardo Escobar (2nd/SS/3rd/OF)
DH- Kennys Vargas (1st/DH)
1st- Hanley Ramirez (1st/DH) (1 year deal?)
2nd- Jorge Polanco (2nd/SS)
RF- Max Kepler (OF)

Bench:
Lamonte Wade (OF)
Willians Astudillo (3rd/2nd/OF/C)
Ehire Adrianza (SS/3rd/2nd/OF/1st)
Mitch Garver (C/1st/DH/OF)

Realmuto <—> Gordon/Gonsalves/Thorpe/Rortvedt

-DFA Grossman
-Trade Jason Castro by the end of ST
-Trade Sano to St. Louis for Jordan Hicks (SP/RP)

Edited by ChrisKnutson, 12 July 2018 - 11:28 AM.

#14 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:31 AM

"Quick fix" sign one of the best players in baseball and trade for the best catcher in baseball, easy!

• Twins33, Sconnie, rghrbek and 1 other like this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#15 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:43 AM

CF- Byron Buxton (OF)
C- J.T. Realmuto (C/1st)
SS- Manny Machado (SS/3rd)(200mil/8yrs)
LF- Eddie Rosario (OF/DH)
3rd- Eduardo Escobar (2nd/SS/3rd/OF)
DH- Kennys Vargas (1st/DH)
1st- Hanley Ramirez (1st/DH) (1 year deal?)
2nd- Jorge Polanco (2nd/SS)
RF- Max Kepler (OF)

Bench:
Lamonte Wade (OF)
Willians Astudillo (3rd/2nd/OF/C)
Ehire Adrianza (SS/3rd/2nd/OF/1st)
Mitch Garver (C/1st/DH/OF)

Realmuto <—> Gordon/Gonsalves/Thorpe/Rortvedt

-DFA Grossman
-Trade Jason Castro by the end of ST
-Trade Sano to St. Louis for Jordan Hicks (SP/RP)

4 of their probably Top-10 prospects for 2 years of control on a catcher?

Sano for an unproven bullpen arm with questionable control?

Also, as much as I'd love Machado, $200 million over 8 years isn't going to get the job done.

#16 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:56 AM

4 of their top 10 prospects, which isn't even close to enough to get that deal done anyways

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#17 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:30 PM

Sano for an unproven bullpen arm with questionable control?

Also, as much as I'd love Machado, $200 million over 8 years isn't going to get the job done.

- Remember, not all prospects are a given, so we shouldn’t be afraid to make a deal for the best catcher in baseball. The only “untouchables” should be Lewis, Romero, Graterol, and Kirilloff.

- Also, I believe this team can win with or without Sano in the lineup, so if we can get someone (or prospects) just as talented, I’d say go for it, because I just think a change of scenery would be best for the team and Sano himself.

- I’m guessing we will see how much Machado values playing SS, because most of his “likely destinations” would rather play him at 3rd, so maybe he takes a “discount” of 200 million to play SS everyday. But if not, then I’d be more than ok with going all in on Manny, by making him our only free agent signing in the offseason.

Edited by ChrisKnutson, 12 July 2018 - 12:31 PM.

#18 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,789 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:30 PM

"Quick fix" sign one of the best players in baseball and trade for the best catcher in baseball, easy!

step 3, profit
  • ashburyjohn, alarp33, gunnarthor and 3 others like this

#19 tvagle

tvagle

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:52 PM

Why would the Twins pay Mauer $7 mil to hit 8th in likely fewer than 120 games?

That is not wise usage of limited payroll dollars or limited roster spots nor does it maximize talent. Mauer has one season since 2013 with an OPS over .752.

It seems hypocritcal to me when some criticize the FO for foolish spending on retreads or washed up vets but yet are willing to fork over almost double the avg MLB salary to a guy that has averaged barely 2 bWAR the last 5 seasons.

It is time for Mauer to retire IMO. If he doesn’t feel that way, I suspect he will after all the offers he doesn’t get this offseason. There simply is no spot on the modern roster for a part time player that doesn’t produce. No way any other team gives him $7 mil per year. To do what? Odds are most every team already has a better first baseman/DH at the MLB level or one chomping at the bit or both.

As I stated just a placeholder...I would expect him to want to play again and if he does the Twins will find a way to pay him...maybe it's $4M/yr for 2 years

• Sconnie likes this

"We were open for business on several players, but just couldn't put a deal together that we liked...our biggest pickups will really be the return of All-Stars Sano and Santana as well as the Platinum Defensive player of the year in Buxton...adding those three to our lineup in the second half without mortgaging any future assets is really the best of both worlds"

#20 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:19 PM

It worked for NYY throughout the 90s.

• GP830 likes this