Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Prioritizing Trade Candidates for the Deadline

brian dozier fernando rodney lance lynn kyle gibson
  • Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#101 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,051 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:35 AM

Cleveland. Bieber's too MLB-ready and probably too good, to be had for someone's super-sub infielder.

It could be the starting point for a discussion, if the Twins are willing to include a good pitching prospect, and the Indians throw in a so-so position player prospect. But then the Twins probably say no.

I don't even think it gets that far. Bieber is currently in their rotation, and performing well, and he's needed there for the foreseeable future. Most contenders don't want to subtract current MLB contributors in a midseason trade. Escobar isn't even a particularly strong fit for them -- he'd either have to play second base himself which he has rarely done for the Twins, or he'd require them moving Jose Ramirez back over to second base, and I'm not sure if they'd be willing to do that again now that Ramirez is a bonafide superstar.

I think they'd rather look at better fits at second like Gennett, Lowrie, or Starlin Castro.

Edited by spycake, 09 July 2018 - 11:37 AM.

• ashburyjohn and Mike Sixel like this

#102 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,350 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:51 AM

I don't even think it gets that far.

I was being a little generous for discussion purposes but basically agree. We could keep scratching around for other reasons against, for instance it being an intra-division trade, too.

A slim chance equals a fat chance, yet a wise man and a wise guy are opposites.

#103 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

I don't even think it gets that far. Bieber is currently in their rotation, and performing well, and he's needed there for the foreseeable future. Most contenders don't want to subtract current MLB contributors in a midseason trade. Escobar isn't even a particularly strong fit for them -- he'd either have to play second base himself which he has rarely done for the Twins, or he'd require them moving Jose Ramirez back over to second base, and I'm not sure if they'd be willing to do that again now that Ramirez is a bonafide superstar.

I think they'd rather look at better fits at second like Gennett, Lowrie, or Starlin Castro.

Which reminded me of the Twins trading away Matt Lawton for Rick Reed in 2001. The Twins never win the division without Reed in 2002, true enough. But they were very much in the hunt in 2001 and they traded away their most consistent and most experienced offensive player.

Like you said, MOST contenders don’t do it that way. That’s why it’s the Twins Way.

#104 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:50 PM

I think we need to keep Escobar for next year, assuming we can re-sign him.Dozier likely won't be here or be very productive if he is here.Sano is a question mark and Gordon is a bigger question mark. Right now next year's middle infield looks like Polanco and Adrianza with Escobar playing 3B and good insurance at 2B if Sano actually can come back and play 3B instead of 1B/DH. I know Dozier isn't worth much but he's the one to trade. Any prospect of value we get in a trade will be for Lynn, Duke or Rodney, or maybe Odorizzi since I wouldn't trade Gibson.

I do feel bad for Dozier. He signed a team friendly contract in the days when being a free agent at age 30 or 31 was a bonanza. We forget that back then every clubhouse had a jar of greenies to "perk guys up" for the games. Now in the age of analytics and brothers getting no chemical help an age 31 ballplayer has to be really special to even get 3-4 years above the 9 mil Dozier got this year.Add in a bad year and he's in a tough spot. I think he's gone after this year - the FO doesn't really want him and he doesn't really want to stay - so I hope we trade him to a team with playoff aspirations. After this year, he may be one of those guys going year to year hoping for the right fit and 5-7mil a year. Not a bad gig, I know, but still not what he thought he'd be.

Edited by LA VIkes Fan, 09 July 2018 - 04:51 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brian dozier, fernando rodney, lance lynn, kyle gibson