Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Front Office Flop for the Twins?

minnesota twins derek falvey thad levine
  • Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#121 killertwinfan

killertwinfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:31 AM

100% on board with this. That suggest reversing the course on what they're currently doing though. Garver is already wasting away on the bench in favor of Wilson. Where things are, the second half should see Gordon, Garver, Busenitz, Cave, Moya, Curtiss, etc all up and playing often. You can reset quickly next year, but figure out which of those players are a part of it.

I am puzzled with Molitor's reticence to change or shake things up.I like watching Wilson catch, but when a guy flirts with a .100 batting average for significant stretches, it makes no sense.You have to play Garver and hope he gets better as the year goes on.That position needs to be addressed in the off season, both for depth and the future.Also, when Dozier goes cold as ice and you got hot bat's behind him (um relatively hot bats) he needs to move Dozier down in the order.Same story with pitchers.Hildenburger has been our best reliever for a long time and unfortunately Reed has lost it.It took long to promote Hildy and demote Reed.He needs to be demoted again.  

• Riverbrian likes this

#122 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:56 AM

I agree unless the context of the team is desperate need for offense. If offense is killing the club, pitchers asking for a preferred catcher could be counter productive to addressing the weak points and the primary reason why a manager is necessary. Managers need to make the decisions that are important to the club and not to the pitchers personal preferences.

Brian Dozier shouldn't get to pick where he hits in the order either. :)

That might be a valid point if this team was in contention and winning games was the goal unto itself.

However, the priority seems to have shifted (or at least it should) to evaluation and development. In that instance, I might be more inclined to give a pitcher I want to evaluate a catcher he feels more comfortable with at the expense of developing someone who pretty much every baseball mind has said is a career backup.

#123 WLFINN

WLFINN

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:50 PM

I am puzzled with Molitor's reticence to change or shake things up.I like watching Wilson catch, but when a guy flirts with a .100 batting average for significant stretches, it makes no sense.You have to play Garver and hope he gets better as the year goes on.That position needs to be addressed in the off season, both for depth and the future.Also, when Dozier goes cold as ice and you got hot bat's behind him (um relatively hot bats) he needs to move Dozier down in the order.Same story with pitchers.Hildenburger has been our best reliever for a long time and unfortunately Reed has lost it.It took long to promote Hildy and demote Reed.He needs to be demoted again.  

All Wilson does is hit, and he scored from second on a hit to the pitcher...Molitor is a genius

• mngopherguy likes this

#124 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:06 PM

A nice quick inning would be good. So he could get the next inning and we could avoid FRE.

#125 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:07 PM

I am puzzled with Molitor's reticence to change or shake things up. I like watching Wilson catch, but when a guy flirts with a .100 batting average for significant stretches, it makes no sense. You have to play Garver and hope he gets better as the year goes on. That position needs to be addressed in the off season, both for depth and the future. Also, when Dozier goes cold as ice and you got hot bat's behind him (um relatively hot bats) he needs to move Dozier down in the order. Same story with pitchers. Hildenburger has been our best reliever for a long time and unfortunately Reed has lost it. It took long to promote Hildy and demote Reed. He needs to be demoted again.

Reed was placed on the DL today.

#126 mngopherguy

mngopherguy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:13 PM

All Wilson does is hit, and he scored from second on a hit to the pitcher...Molitor is a genius

Beat me to it.:)

#127 killertwinfan

killertwinfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:47 AM

Wilson may be our best batter with RISP.  

#128 killertwinfan

killertwinfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:49 AM

Reed was placed on the DL today.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.He went from incredible to awful.Must have been pitching hurt.  

• ashburyjohn likes this

#129 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,969 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:51 AM

I would have guessed this was pure hyperbole, but actually his splits are just as you suggest. Bases empty he bats .103, but in RISPy situations he's batting .280 with plenty of additional value leading to a .875 OPS.

Either of the Ed's or Joe do well with runners on, too, but Bob's surprisingly been no slouch.

It's all small sample size, but still. Will The Real Bobby Wilson Please Stand Up! (And I hope it's not One Oh Three Bobby.)

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#130 WLFINN

WLFINN

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:51 AM

Whatever RISP is he should start sharing it with some of the others....quite a few of the others... :eek:

#131 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 05:23 AM

Meanwhile, Doug Mientkiewicz got the AAA job in the Detroit system with the Toledo Mudhens, and continues to just win. Players like to play for him. 

Dozier? He has absolutely no motivation to do anything but have a career year, what with free agency coming up, so I don't buy he is trying to be anything but the best he can be. Unfortunately for him and the Twins, that is not happening.

A minor league manager with primarily aging AAA player winning means exactly what for the parent team? They either do not have any players hence using the long term minor league player or they are not developing the talent and playing to win a AAA game, not MLB games in the future.Advocating that your teams win over player development shoots an organization in the foot. Of course if you believe analytics don't belong in baseball then root for that kind of manager. 

#132 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,969 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:56 AM

Whatever RISP is he should start sharing it with some of the others....quite a few of the others... :eek:

2e01u1.jpg

• WLFINN likes this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#133 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:13 AM

You have to play Garver and hope he gets better as the year goes on. 

Garver had a slump in May, otherwise he has been fine.

#134 killertwinfan

killertwinfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 05:46 AM

My issue has been when he is behind the plate.  

• Lefty74 likes this

#135 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,138 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:16 AM

It adds up to a .707 OPS.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#136 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:34 AM

Not sure if this goes along with this thread, but it was interesting (probably the wrong word) to see that Cardinals management fired Matheny and two coaches, despite sitting just 4 games back.  I guess I don't see that happening with the Twins, but I couldn't help but feel while watching Astudillo pitch yesterday that his body language was screaming WTF am I doing out here?  Baseball is cruel--he finally gets his change at the Big Leagues, and he is on the mound before he is behind the plate.

#137 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:35 AM

Not sure if this goes along with this thread, but it was interesting (probably the wrong word) to see that Cardinals management fired Matheny and two coaches, despite sitting just 4 games back.  I guess I don't see that happening with the Twins, but I couldn't help but feel while watching Astudillo pitch yesterday that his body language was screaming WTF am I doing out here?  Baseball is cruel--he finally gets his change at the Big Leagues, and he is on the mound before he is behind the plate.

Yeah. The problems this year really look like management problems.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, derek falvey, thad levine