Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Bryce Harper and Manny Machado

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,476 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:32 PM

Machadi does fit better

If that's the plural of Machado, then yes please, I'll take two!

• USAFChief, Blake, Loosey and 6 others like this

Everyone hates me because I got cured of paranoia and they didn't.

#22 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:08 PM

If we somehow manage to convince Manny to come to MN, and Sano moves to 1st, where does that leave Brent Rooker? He’s in AA right now, and is a good shot of being a Sept call up and next year’s starting 1st baseman.

Hopefully this means a Sano for Realmuto deal is still possible. Although probably not.

#23 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:32 PM

that extra 7.5MM from the Hughes trade of a draft pick will be pocketed. zero doubt.

Eh, I think there's a good chance it will be used for the Twins payroll. Especially if they are going to slash payroll by $25M like some have claimed on another thread, they're going to need that money.

#24 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,892 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:24 AM

Eh, I think there's a good chance it will be used for the Twins payroll. Especially if they are going to slash payroll by $25M like some have claimed on another thread, they're going to need that money.

Slashing payroll is pocketing the money.... They won't lose money next year if the payroll is the same, they'll just make less. That was exactly my point. Payroll is going to drop, a lot, I'd guess.
  • gunnarthor and jimmer like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#25 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,777 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:02 AM

Per Bob Nightengale, Machado is on his way to the Dodgers tomorrow.
  • Blake and TheLeviathan like this

#26 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,548 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:14 AM

Meanwhile people think Harper is a cheater and an awful person for having a kick-ass HR Derby.

The hell baseball fans?

#27 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 4,845 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:14 AM

Per Bob Nightengale, Machado is on his way to the Dodgers tomorrow.

Well, shoot, there goes my fantasy of Red Sox fans melting down when Machado and Harper wind up in New York. :)

• PDX Twin and Vanimal46 like this

#28 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,777 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:19 AM

Well, shoot, there goes my fantasy of Red Sox fans melting down when Machado and Harper wind up in New York. :)

I was rooting for Milwaukee to get Machado... Oh well. The rich get richer
  • Blake, Mike Sixel, Twins33 and 1 other like this

#29 tvagle

tvagle

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:29 AM

Here's hoping Forsythe is included in the package for Machado...only increases the chance of Doze to the Dodgers Part Dos

#30 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,254 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:44 PM

Here's hoping Forsythe is included in the package for Machado...only increases the chance of Doze to the Dodgers Part Dos

Nah, Forsythe would only be included to balance out the cash a bit (luxury tax purposes?). The Dodgers don't need to add 2 infielders, they already have Taylor, Turner, and breakout Muncy.

#31 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,777 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:03 PM

Nah, Forsythe would only be included to balance out the cash a bit (luxury tax purposes?). The Dodgers don't need to add 2 infielders, they already have Taylor, Turner, and breakout Muncy.

We'll see if Muncy is just a flash in the pan but their infield could be potentially amazing if they resign Machado...

Muncy/Bellinger 1B
Turner (?) 2B
Seager SS
Machado 3B

#32 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,254 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:22 PM

We'll see if Muncy is just a flash in the pan but their infield could be potentially amazing if they resign Machado...

Muncy/Bellinger 1B
Turner (?) 2B
Seager SS
Machado 3B

Taylor isn't chopped liver as a fill-in for Seager either -- 2.7 bWAR already in 2018, after 4.8 last year.

I don't know what Muncy's defense is like, but he's been filling in at 3B and 2B too.

Edited by spycake, 17 July 2018 - 02:23 PM.

#33 jkcarew

jkcarew

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:54 PM

In the parallel universe where it could actually happen, I'll take Harper.I think his 'on' years will continue to be bigger than Machado's 'on' years.If Machado was an above-average SS...and could be expected to stick there for another 3-4 years...I'd probably go the other way.

• Mike Sixel, beckmt and TheLeviathan like this

#34 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,629 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:47 PM

Machado to the Dodgers makes me so sad on so many levels.
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#35 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:36 PM

Sounds like 5 prospects are going to the Orioles so the Dodgers can get Machado... will the Dodgers have enough money to offer him a big deal at the end of the year? It sounds like a big risk to get just 2.5 months of Machado for those prospects... depending on their caliber.

#36 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,676 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:47 PM

Sounds like 5 prospects are going to the Orioles so the Dodgers can get Machado... will the Dodgers have enough money to offer him a big deal at the end of the year? It sounds like a big risk to get just 2.5 months of Machado for those prospects... depending on their caliber.

will be interesting to see who the prospects are and if any of them would have looked good in a Dozier trade (which we'll never know)

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#37 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:14 PM

will be interesting to see who the prospects are and if any of them would have looked good in a Dozier trade (which we'll never know)

Only name leaked so far is Yusniel Diaz

#38 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,254 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:57 AM

Only name leaked so far is Yusniel Diaz

In addition to Diaz, MLBTR has added Dustin May and Errol Robinson. Diaz and May were both FV 45 guys on Fangraphs preseason list, ranked 11th and 9th in the Dodgers system, Robinson unranked:

https://www.fangraph...ngeles-dodgers/

#39 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,142 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:10 AM

Meanwhile people think Harper is a cheater and an awful person for having a kick-ass HR Derby.

The hell baseball fans?

Growing up whenever the Cubs failed at something (which was always) people did the old, "Aw shucks, those lovable losers did it to themselves again!" bit.

But it seems since they lost the Steve (HE DID NOTHING WRONG!) Bartman game, anything that goes wrong for the Cubs is somebody else's fault. Had Cleveland won the 2016 WS I swear there would have been congressional hearings looking into how there was a conspiracy against the Cubs.

• Carole Keller, gunnarthor and TheLeviathan like this

#40 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,142 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:20 AM

In addition to Diaz, MLBTR has added Dustin May and Errol Robinson. Diaz and May were both FV 45 guys on Fangraphs preseason list, ranked 11th and 9th in the Dodgers system, Robinson unranked:

https://www.fangraph...ngeles-dodgers/

I'd guess both Diaz and May would be ranked higher now. Assuming Buehler has graduated their performances probably put them top five.