Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Bryce Harper and Manny Machado

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,952 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:57 AM

Harper is on pace for 1 bWAR this year. (WAR doesn't like his defense). Going into the season, he and Machado were going to be the darlings of this huge free agency class. Machado is on pace for 3-4 WAR this season. (WAR doesn't like his defense either).

I still think they both get paid a ton and Harper ends up in NY but I'm not sure either of them tops Stanton's contract, although it'll be close. 

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,777 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:05 AM

After the Yanks acquired Stanton I don't see the fit in NY anymore for Harper. I think Philly or Atlanta gives him a long term deal.

Machado is playing out of position this year (SS) so it makes sense that B-Ref/FG doesn't like his defense.

The Ringer wrote an article a few days ago about this FA class. It's no longer looking like a mega class like it did last year.

https://www.theringe...w-manny-machado
  • gunnarthor likes this

#3 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,819 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:18 AM

Machado already has 3 fWAR. He'll end up with over 6 fWAR.

If I was a team trying to sign him, I'd push for him to switch back to 3B, where he was an elite defender.

Edited by jimmer, 05 July 2018 - 09:18 AM.

• gunnarthor, LimestoneBaggy, Twins33 and 1 other like this

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,952 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:31 AM

After the Yanks acquired Stanton I don't see the fit in NY anymore for Harper. I think Philly or Atlanta gives him a long term deal.

Apparently, Harper has said he is open to playing first base. I read that as a message to the Yankees. I still think it happens. He's (arguably) the biggest name in baseball. The Yankees have nothing at first base. His LH swing is made for that park. His bat in that lineup would be incredible. If George was still running the Yankees, I think it'd be a lock. 

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,892 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:55 AM

Harper will get around 25-27 per year, Machado around 33-35. I'd rather have Machado at this point.
  • Carole Keller, Seth Stohs and Twins33 like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#6 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:03 AM

Machado already has 3 fWAR. He'll end up with over 6 fWAR.

If I was a team trying to sign him, I'd push for him to switch back to 3B, where he was an elite defender.

That’s where I hope the Twins put him when they sign him.
  • USAFChief, Blake, Mike Sixel and 9 others like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,892 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:04 AM

That’s where I hope the Twins put him when they sign him.

that would change my outlook on trading Gibson.....but of course, they can't know they'll win the Machado bidding in a week or two.....so, ya, good luck to them.

• Carole Keller and Twins33 like this

#8 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:04 AM

Apparently, Harper has said he is open to playing first base. I read that as a message to the Yankees. I still think it happens. He's (arguably) the biggest name in baseball. The Yankees have nothing at first base. His LH swing is made for that park. His bat in that lineup would be incredible. If George was still running the Yankees, I think it'd be a lock.

Could/would the Yanks go after BOTH?
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#9 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:06 AM

that would change my outlook on trading Gibson.....but of course, they can't know they'll win the Machado bidding in a week or two.....so, ya, good luck to them.

The way the Twins have played this year, there’s no way Machado signs here even if we did offer the most money. Contrary to popular belief, I think players do consider more than just the money.
  • Blake, Danchat and LA VIkes Fan like this

#10 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:08 AM

More on that, and this takes it off topic, I think the Twins are 2-3 pieces away from contending. It’s just that those pieces are big pieces and costly pieces, i.e. Machado AND Realmuto.
  • ChrisKnutson likes this

#11 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,952 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:30 AM

Could/would the Yanks go after BOTH?

Machado isn't a great fit for them. THey have Miguel Andujar, a pretty good looking rookie playing third. If they have Stanton and Harper and have to pay Judge down the line and/or some front line starters, they'd probably be better off using that money to upgrade other positions.

#12 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,548 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:30 AM

I would rather have Harper.I think you have a far better shot at getting high level production from him for the duration of a ten year deal.

And I love his personality.

• notoriousgod71 likes this

#13 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:32 AM

I would rather have Harper.I think you have a far better shot at getting high level production from him for the duration of a ten year deal.

And I love his personality.

Ive always liked Machado’s much better. To each his/her own. :)
  • Blake and gunnarthor like this

#14 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,548 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:38 AM

Ive always liked Machado’s much better. To each his/her own. :)

I love him as a player, but too many whiny unwritten rules issues for me.

#15 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,952 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:53 AM

I love him as a player, but too many whiny unwritten rules issues for me.

Doesn't he break the unwritten rules? 

Obviously the Twins won't get either but Machado seems like the perfect fit for this Twins team. Moves Sano to first and another strong RH bat for Target Field. But I think he gets something very close to 10yr/310m and that won't be from the Pohlad family.

• gil4 likes this

#16 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,548 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:55 AM

Machadi does fit better, but if we are all in a pipedream I'd rather have Harper.:)

• Carole Keller, Blake, Mike Sixel and 1 other like this

#17 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,819 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:33 PM

More on that, and this takes it off topic, I think the Twins are 2-3 pieces away from contending. It’s just that those pieces are big pieces and costly pieces, i.e. Machado AND Realmuto.

yeah, I think we're farther than that.

#18 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:36 PM

Machadi does fit better, but if we are all in a pipedream I'd rather have Harper. :)

That’s fine. But my pipe dream is better! :P
  • jimmer likes this

#19 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:55 PM

Doesn't he break the unwritten rules? 

Obviously the Twins won't get either but Machado seems like the perfect fit for this Twins team. Moves Sano to first and another strong RH bat for Target Field. But I think he gets something very close to 10yr/310m and that won't be from the Pohlad family.

Wait, all that payroll "flexibility," the Twins have next year won't be bringing back elite talent? 

• Blake, Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and 1 other like this

#20 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,892 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:52 PM

Wait, all that payroll "flexibility," the Twins have next year won't be bringing back elite talent? 

that extra 7.5MM from the Hughes trade of a draft pick will be pocketed. zero doubt.

• Blake and KirbyDome89 like this