Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: 2018 Twins Midseason Top Prospect List: 26-30

john curtiss zack granite jake cave tyler wells griffin jax
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:15 AM

I thought people were interested in Jax because his situation was a bit of an oddity. I didn't think he profiled to be much more than a swing man at best.

I just remember he didn't have great strikeout numbers despite coming from a rather weak conference. What is it about this guy everyone likes?

The results.Pitching in a very difficult situation while on leave from active duty, his results were very good.Sure got my attention.

#22 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:02 AM

I thought people were interested in Jax because his situation was a bit of an oddity. I didn't think he profiled to be much more than a swing man at best.

I just remember he didn't have great strikeout numbers despite coming from a rather weak conference. What is it about this guy everyone likes?

I thought the scouting reports had him as a hard thrower 93-95 with good control (low # of walks).Work ethic\makeup was strong and based on talent potential of that class he would have been a second round talent if he didn't have the military commitment.Twins took him in the third round I guess thinking he was a steal of sorts but the Military commitment did bite them as he lost development time.

I still like him but something more needs to click for him to be a starter.He gives up a fair number of hits and isn't missing a ton of bats at the lower levels.I am guessing that in time those number will look better but if they don't then he still has a good two pitch mix and throws hard enough to be a good reliever.Guy works hard and has the physical tools so I am not betting against him.

#23 108Stitches

108Stitches

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:20 PM

Jax has a lot of potential but I haven’t seen the stud they promised he’d be thus far. Albeit it’s a small sample size because he just got back.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: john curtiss, zack granite, jake cave, tyler wells, griffin jax