Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Mets are about to blow everything up

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,108 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:42 AM

Yeah, the pitching has been ... competitive ... this year. Which to me is saying it's been okay. It hasn't been our problem and what is our problem no one thought it would be our problem. If you have a chance to upgrade with one of those? I'd do it. Lynn is only on a one-year deal. Who knows really where Erv will be. While we have AAA depth, will all of them be plus starters in the majors? That said, we won't go after either of them.

Good point regarding pitching because, yeah, I'm thinking just this year. However, as I think about it, unless the bats are addressed, I'm not sure how starting pitching will help down the road, either.

I would say, though, the Twins may be in pretty good shape next year, from a pitching standpoint, with Berrios, Romero, Gibson and Odorizzi. The last arm in the rotation is probably at Triple A this year.

The bullpen can probably be rounded out from the minors also.

Which leaves the bats to worry about. 

Hard for me to look think of someone like DeGrom as a game changer when it looks like the Twins need more than a game changer arm.

#22 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:43 AM

Maybe the Twins throw a curveball and send Sano and Buxton to the Mets for one of those guys. Wouldn't that be sumthin?

Six months ago you would've been crazy for suggesting it. Now, eh, it sadly makes sense. 

I'm not sure I'd give up both yet, but if 1+ prospects starts a serious conversation for Syndergaard I'm not sure how the Twins don't pursue it. Honestly though, NY might see Buxton/Sano as even more damaged than Twins fans.

Edited by KirbyDome89, 28 June 2018 - 10:44 AM.

• SF Twins Fan and bighat like this

#23 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,108 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:44 AM

The pitching is fine this year. But not even Berrios is as talented as DeGrom or Thor. Either of them would be game changers for the franchise.

As I mentioned to Carole, I would argue the Twins are set up pretty well next year, with Berrios, Romero, Gibson and Odorizzi and an arm to be named later from Triple A.

If I thought a big name arm would be a difference maker, I'd say go for it.

However, the position players seem to have some issues and that indicates there are problems beyond just bringing in an arm.

#24 awinter

awinter

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

I actually think deGrom could command the better return out of the two and I think I'd rather have him on my team. He's been very good throughout his career, has a climbing K/9 rate the last few years and he's much more durable than Syndergaard.

#25 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:49 AM

Milwaukee or Atlanta or Philly or the Yankees..... Or not traded.... Those are my guesses.

+1 for Milwaukee as a dark horse. They aren't talked about enough. They are what the Twins should be right now.  

• markos, Danchat, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,292 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:53 AM

+1 for Milwaukee as a dark horse. They aren't talked about enough. They are what the Twins should be right now.

Yup. Their front office seems to be right a lot. And they're not taking half steps.

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#27 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,695 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:53 AM

Their rebuild is envious. Started 2-3 years after the Twins... The rebuild/not really a rebuild still haunts us to this day.
  • Blake, Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and 4 others like this

#28 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:06 AM

Their rebuild is envious. Started 2-3 years after the Twins... The rebuild/not really a rebuild still haunts us to this day.

100%

It's hard to watch some of the faster rebuilds already having great success. The Twins are certainly pushing the boundaries of how old a team can be before they're no longer "rebuilding."

• TheLeviathan, Danchat, Platoon and 1 other like this

#29 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,737 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:08 AM

Milwaukee has a history of making big bold moves for a small market team. I was always jealous that they were willing to get big time arms like Sabathia and Greinke when the Twins were heartbreakingly reluctant.

• Twins33, TheLeviathan, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#30 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:15 AM

At this point, the Twins will have to fast-track their own prospects, and any guys you would give up in trade for a mainline player are ones that another team feels will have major league potential. So if that is the case, keep the guys yourself for your own rebuilding.

Right now, the Twins have too many holes...everywhere except in the pitching department. They have at least a half-dozen starting pitchers with great potential to come onboard in 2019 and 2020. 

But they have no catcher in the works until 2021/22. First base is a void (or DH) unless you move Sano to one or the other. 2B will be changing in the next year. 3B could be in play. The outfield is in construction and might need a reboot.

The bullpen has lots of potential arms for 2019 and 2020. And, as we saw this season, you can spend, say, $20 million and get some replacement outs.

Our we looking to compete in 2020 or 2021?

Sure, we were looking at competing in 2018. Remember, we just did fine last season. Yes, if the Twins could've replicated THAT 2017 season, we would probably be in first place, since we did vamp up the rotation and lineup and bullpen. But baseball is a strange games of 1-run losses, things not synching at the right time.

Hummm, maybe IT IS the filed manager and coaching staff that needs to revamped, too.

CONGRATS to Pick Anderson for being anointed the new Tigers pitching coach, by the way!

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,292 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:15 AM

Milwaukee has a history of making big bold moves for a small market team. I was always jealous that they were willing to get big time arms like Sabathia and Greinke when the Twins were heartbreakingly reluctant.

Ditto. I had hoped this new front office would be different, but they seem to be all about efficiency. That's important, but so is striking.

#32 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:22 AM

Ditto. I had hoped this new front office would be different, but they seem to be all about efficiency. That's important, but so is striking.

To this point I don't think it's unfair to say that the conservative approach, which was often criticized, has been rather generously labeled as efficient under the new FO. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#33 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:56 AM

It did not get them a championship nor out of the first round of the playoffs. . Sabathia cost them Brantley. They survived that. Greinke for a year meant they traded Cain and Escobar for Segura. They have been in rebuilding mode ever since.If it works, great. If not, the manager loses his job and the GM continues on.

Edited by old nurse, 28 June 2018 - 11:56 AM.

• nicksaviking likes this

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,292 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:58 AM

It did not get them a championship nor out of the first round of the playoffs. . Sabathia cost them Brantley. They survived that. Greinke for a year meant they traded Cain and Escobar for Segura. They have been in rebuilding mode ever since. If it works, great. If not, the manager loses his job and the GM continues on.

They tried. I'd rather my team try. Way more excitement. For me anyway
  • Tomj14 and FlauerPauer like this

#35 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 04:14 AM

They tried. I'd rather my team try. Way more excitement. For me anyway

Oh boy, new toys!!!!!A big name can't fill a hole in the Titanic

#36 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,856 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:06 AM

If you want to trade assets/prospects for one of these two, or anyone else for that matter you have to deal from an excess of talent in a position or two. Sort of like when we were trading center fielders like bubble gum cards. But in what postion do the Twins have an excess of high end tradeable talent? There's a few, but we are going to need most of them ourselves. One SP does not this club fix.
  • Blake likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#37 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,695 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:44 AM

If you want to trade assets/prospects for one of these two, or anyone else for that matter you have to deal from an excess of talent in a position or two. Sort of like when we were trading center fielders like bubble gum cards. But in what postion do the Twins have an excess of high end tradeable talent? There's a few, but we are going to need most of them ourselves. One SP does not this club fix.

Our excess is at SS in the low minors. No one is saying that one SP will make the team a playoff favorite... DeGrom and Syndergaard are real difference makers and should be considered if the goal is to be competitive in 2019-2020.

#38 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,292 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:28 AM

Oh boy, new toys!!!!! A big name can't fill a hole in the Titanic

Nice. I have no idea what that last sentence means.

#39 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,292 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:29 AM

If you never make trades until one player fixes everything, you never make trades. No one is saying they are one player away. No one.
  • Twins33 likes this

#40 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,856 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:37 AM

Our excess is at SS in the low minors. No one is saying that one SP will make the team a playoff favorite... DeGrom and Syndergaard are real difference makers and should be considered if the goal is to be competitive in 2019-2020.

"low minors" Sadly the operative phrase in this sentence. There is no doubt the Mets have some nice arms available, but our needs are so extensive that throwing everything at one SP, no matter how good won't solve this. As a simple example who is going to catch the new pitcher. We don't even have a MLB capable catcher. Maybe some current players will step up and make an excess for us in the future, but they ain't exactly rushing to the forefront.
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!