Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Mets are about to blow everything up

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,692 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:20 AM

DeGrom and Syndergaard are on the trade block.

https://www.nydailyn...0627-story.html

Where do you think they land?
  • bighat likes this

#2 MangLitch

MangLitch

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:34 AM

I would be willing to give up just about everything to grab Thor. Within reason I guess. 

Having a top line of Thor, Berrios, Romero plus Graterol, Thorpe, Gonzo, Stewart, Enlow coming through the pipeline would have great odds of having a top rotation for a long time. Some of these guys would likely have to be in the package, but main point is we would have the top 2 figured out with some really good options as 3,4,5.... 

But do we have enough to get him, I am not sure. They would likely want some real high end talent and we dont have a top 20 type of guy, unless someone has really jumped up this year. 

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

#3 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:34 AM

Maybe the Twins throw a curveball and send Sano and Buxton to the Mets for one of those guys. Wouldn't that be sumthin?

#4 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:38 AM

Lavine/Falvey should be on the phone with the Mets right now starting a package with Lewis to land Syndergaard. Dude is a stud and well worth Royce Lewis.

#CanWeStillHireMientkiewicz?

#5 NapoleonComplex

NapoleonComplex

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:42 AM

I really don't think we have the chips to land either one. Mets will definitely want young, controllable, Ace starter potential guys like Graterol and/or Romero. That's where the package starts. I could see them demanding Lewis, Graterol, and a controllable asset on the roster like Rosario or Kepler ... plus another top 30 prospect.

We have a quality farm system, but in my opinion, with the way the big club is playing now and for the near future, we can't afford to trade away assets that could swing the pendulum in 2020 and beyond.

#6 MangLitch

MangLitch

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

I really don't think we have the chips to land either one. Mets will definitely want young, controllable, Ace starter potential guys like Graterol and/or Romero. That's where the package starts. I could see them demanding Lewis, Graterol, and a controllable asset on the roster like Rosario or Kepler ... plus another top 30 prospect.

We have a quality farm system, but in my opinion, with the way the big club is playing now and for the near future, we can't afford to trade away assets that could swing the pendulum in 2020 and beyond.

Ya I would agree, but I would be willing to part with just about anything.

To answer the question, Sale was traded when he had one year left on his deal I believe and he commanded the number 1, 20ish, and a top 10 sox prospect plus another top 20. 

Syndergaard has 3 years of control left, so I would have to believe that the package will be bigger. 

Braves have two top ten guys that could lure the mets into a trade. Being a surprise contender, could they try to make a splash with Acuna and Soroka...

Houston has two top 10 guys in Tucker and Whitley.... If they pull this off its over Johnny... no one is going to be able to compete with that power 4 in a playoff setting. 

Yankees are always in consideration but they arent giving up their young MLB talent.... which I would for Syndergaard. 

Twins could give up Lewis, romero/graterol, Krilloff/Gordon plus one or two top 20.... Its a heavy price but I think you have to entertain it and then be agressive in free agency to pull off a dramatic improvement. It will hurt the prospect centric crowd but man would that be a rotation to watch at the top. 

Edited by MangLitch, 28 June 2018 - 08:50 AM.

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

#7 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,416 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:54 AM

Yeah, I don't think we have it takes to get Syndergaard, or rather, I don't think we give up what it would take to get Syndergaard. I bet the Yankees do, though. And they plan on buying on the FA market in the off-season so they'll be set for a while.

We will say we tried, and we probably will try, but with offers that aren't even close to getting it done. And we'll get nothing.

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,692 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:54 AM

Even though this season couldn't go worse for the Twins, it's worth a phone call to find out what it would take to acquire one of them.

Both are absolute game changers as SP.
  • SF Twins Fan likes this

#9 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,108 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:00 AM

Even though this season couldn't go worse for the Twins, it's worth a phone call to find out what it would take to acquire one of them.

Both are absolute game changers as SP.

The Twins have arguably gotten the starting pitching they need in order to compete this year. Bringing in more arms will not solve the problems with the bats.

• Platoon and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#10 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,692 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:16 AM

The Twins have arguably gotten the starting pitching they need in order to compete this year. Bringing in more arms will not solve the problems with the bats.

The pitching is fine this year. But not even Berrios is as talented as DeGrom or Thor. Either of them would be game changers for the franchise.
  • Blake, Twins33, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

#11 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:17 AM

Syndergaard is only 25 - can't imaging why the Mets would even consider trading him. Still young enough to be part of a quick rebuild.

• Respy likes this

#12 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,692 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:19 AM

Syndergaard is only 25 - can't imaging why the Mets would even consider trading him. Still young enough to be part of a quick rebuild.

Because their team is a mess and he's their best trade asset.

#13 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,416 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:24 AM

Yeah, the pitching has been ... competitive ... this year. Which to me is saying it's been okay. It hasn't been our problem and what is our problem no one thought it would be our problem. If you have a chance to upgrade with one of those? I'd do it. Lynn is only on a one-year deal. Who knows really where Erv will be. While we have AAA depth, will all of them be plus starters in the majors? That said, we won't go after either of them.

• Blake and SF Twins Fan like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#14 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:30 AM

I don't like the idea of trading many good players for one great player, if that great player gets hurt, then what do you have??A losing team. Think Timberpuppies and Jimmy Butler. I'd rather see them get that superstar player via free agency. 

#15 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,429 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:10 AM

I would bet Houston gets one of the pitchers. 

#16 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:18 AM

We certainly don't have the farm system to afford Syndergaard, and DeGrom is 30 and only controllable through 2020.If the Twins were in solid contention this year, DeGrom would be worth considering.If the Twins are looking to 2019 and beyond, DeGrom is not a piece of that puzzle.

Syndergaard is younger and has way more potential, so I think the Mets will hold him.DeGrom has as high of a value now as he'll ever have and he's 30.I think they only mentioned Syndergaard because now teams can approach them about Syndergaard offering Prospect Package X, the Mets will say 'No thanks, but how about Prospect Package X for DeGrom' and I think they'll get more in return this way.DeGrom will likely go to the Dodgers, Braves, Phillies, or Yankees and I predict he'll go to the Yankees.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#17 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:19 AM

I would bet Houston gets one of the pitchers. 

Houston already has 5 elite starters, barring an injury.

#18 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,284 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:21 AM

Milwaukee or Atlanta or Philly or the Yankees..... Or not traded.... Those are my guesses.
  • SF Twins Fan, KirbyDome89 and Respy like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#19 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,806 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:30 AM

Maybe the Twins throw a curveball and send Sano and Buxton to the Mets for one of those guys. Wouldn't that be sumthin?

Those two players have team control for the same amount of time as Syndergaard. If the Mets are poised to trade the latter, it's for talent that hasn't consumed much if any service time.

I always go the extra mile. That's what happens when you get lost easily.

#20 awinter

awinter

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:40 AM

Let's not forget about Syndergaard's injury history. He's hurt right now and missed most of last season. I'm not saying I wouldn't want him, but his injuries bring down the asking price (especially if his current injury persists).

• Danchat and Platoon like this