Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: The Rise and Fall of Miguel Sano

miguel sano
  • Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#121 DrNeau

DrNeau

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:07 PM

So yeah, criticize abusers, be outraged when Delmon Young accosts innocent people in Manhattan in a clear act of hatred, criticize Sano for harassing female ushers in Chattanooga. But don't talk about Kirilloff being home schooled like you know that's going to be a performance problem, or say that Gordon's rap music hobby is a sure sign of his lack of dedication, or conclude something from one fairly innocuous comment from a player or a GM or an owner or a manager. Cut people slack.

Was there any evidence of this which was not anecdotal? I know there was a report from Jeff Passan which said Sano chased women "like it was sport". The specific item you cited, however, was testimony of Sano harassing someone - brought forward by someone on Twitter, correct? Is there any way to verify this person's claim? Is it accurate? Is the person credible? Is there any evidence they were actually there? I understand you wish to cut people slack, so I thought I'd ask. 

Regarding the fall of Sano... the guy had a titanium rod surgically implanted in his leg during the off-season, hindering his preparation considerably, then went on to have a terrible year. It was pitiful to watch. I remember watching last Opening Day with excitement and he went like 0-5 and sucked all year. That being said, he has been an All-Star, has 84 MLB HR, and is still only 25. Hoping to see a rebound year. 

• Mike Sixel and ewen21 like this

#122 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,710 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:36 AM

Was there any evidence of this which was not anecdotal? I know there was a report from Jeff Passan which said Sano chased women "like it was sport". The specific item you cited, however, was testimony of Sano harassing someone - brought forward by someone on Twitter, correct? Is there any way to verify this person's claim? Is it accurate? Is the person credible? Is there any evidence they were actually there? I understand you wish to cut people slack, so I thought I'd ask. 

Regarding the fall of Sano... the guy had a titanium rod surgically implanted in his leg during the off-season, hindering his preparation considerably, then went on to have a terrible year. It was pitiful to watch. I remember watching last Opening Day with excitement and he went like 0-5 and sucked all year. That being said, he has been an All-Star, has 84 MLB HR, and is still only 25. Hoping to see a rebound year. 

I am criticizing Sano for something plain as day (his conditioning).This other thing about the usher sounds a like "baseless claim".Or is it?

I have no idea.  

Edited by ewen21, 09 January 2019 - 05:44 AM.

#123 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,710 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:42 AM

It is fairly easy to note that Sano looks quite different from the guy he was last year at this time in that picture with Baldelli.I am hoping that it's not just lost weight and that he's maintained his strength.I have seen many lose weight the wrong way only to become weaker.Hopefully he's lost weight the right way.I am guessing he has.

#124 DrNeau

DrNeau

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:18 AM

I am criticizing Sano for something plain as day (his conditioning). This other thing about the usher sounds a like "baseless claim". Or is it?

I have no idea.

Who does know? Anyone? That is why I question why the Chattanooga harassment accusation is referenced on this board as if it were fact.

#125 DrNeau

DrNeau

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:04 PM

Well... I guess there is no evidence to support that claim. Otherwise, it would have likely been brought forth by now. 

Edited by DrNeau, 10 January 2019 - 09:05 PM.

#126 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• 9,328 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:19 PM

Well... I guess there is no evidence to support that claim. Otherwise, it would have likely been brought forth by now. 

Anecdotal evidence is not the same as no evidence, but this was debated to death at the time.  

#127 DrNeau

DrNeau

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:07 PM

In the comment I questioned, Sano was called an "abuser" and a specific claim against him was referred to as if it were fact, and he was grouped together with Delmon Young, who was convicted in criminal court of harassment and for physically tackling someone to the ground. 

In the claim against Sano, I have not heard of any evidence to support or be proof of the Chattanooga harassment claim. Have you? 

Despite not having this proof, it appears it is acceptable on this website for Sano to be presumed as guilty, and for communications to continue on which support that supposed guilt. If something is unsubstantiated or indemonstrable, then it cannot be referenced as fact, or cited in a list of things which the supposed guilt should be accepted as fact.

I am not questioning your position on the topic; for all I know, you might even agree with me. I am honestly just wondering how this is entertained and encouraged. 

#128 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,012 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:00 PM

Anecdotal evidence is not the same as no evidence, but this was debated to death at the time.  

Anecdotal evidence can be the same as no evidence when the anecdote is untrue.

So far, I've seen nothing that supports the one tweet about harassment at Chattanooga, and the story doesn't make sense. If I recall the story correctly, the head usher allegedly told a patron about constant harassment of ushers, such that they had to rearrange where ushers were placed. First, the head usher telling someone about this outside the organization does not seem credible. Second, the head usher has an obligation to do something about this, if it had been true. Third, the Twins Organization had an obligation to do something about this, if it were true. Moreover, if it were true, there would be an usher out there somewhere who would likely have an axe to grind with the Twins, and you would have expected them to inform someone about this abhorrent behavior. You would have expected some fans in Chattanooga to have witnessed this abhorrent behavior and reported to someone about it. The fact that this story remains one tweet has, in my opinion, shown that it was not the truth.

Although repeating this anecdote likely won't cause someone to shoot up a pizza joint, it is still doing harm -- to Sano's reputation -- unfairly in my opinion. Until there is any substantiation of the strange anecdote, I hope people refrain from using it as evidence. And if it is used as evidence, I hope people here will keep reminding everyone that the Chattanooga harassment story, which should be easily verifiable if true, has no evidence to support it.

• ewen21 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano