Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

The Original R.B.I. Baseball on the Original NES Play Station

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Today's Fred Rogers Mean Mean Pride

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

Even though the Twins are destroying the Sux tonight, it seems kind of empty - coming on the heels of our less than outstanding September call-ups. Which got my mind spinning on thinking about some non-Twins enjoyable baseball experiences I have had in my life.

The Original R.B.I. Baseball for the Original NES!!!

Damn, that game was great. The best team on that game was by far the St. Louis Cardinals. You could not retire Vince Coleman, Ozzie Smith or Willie McGee... they were faster than fast! I can't recall how many inside the park bunt HR's I pulled off with Coleman, but it takes up more than two hands in my recollection. John Tudor, was the best pitcher in that game, you had a lot of flexibility in moving his pitches around leading to a devastating curve ball of which no opponent could resist swinging at. One of my great moments playing that game was when I hit a HR using Fernando Venezuela. I have only seen 2 pitchers hit a HR on that game... can't recall the other one - a game I was watching and not playing.

Does anyone else who would care to respond have some enjoyable memories of R.B.I. Baseball for the 1st NES?

#2 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,253 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

Was that the one where you had to put in an obnoxiously long code if you wanted to quit and have it save your progress?

#3 nokomismod

nokomismod

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

Yes! I remember RBI baseball. I want to say the one I played had rosters from either 86 or 87. The Twins team was pretty good too if I recall. I liked Oakland's team also with Dave Stewart, Canseco, McGuire, and Ricky leading it off. Eckersly was impossible to hit for 1 inning. That was probably the best video game of all time. If they had it at Rusty Quarters, I would probably drop some coins there.

#4 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

I remember my friend turning Bob Ojeda into a sociopathic character whose only goal was to bean every batter. That, and the Twins were almost unstoppable thanks to extreme power in the middle of the lineup plus the ability to sub in Randy Bush and Roy Smalley for Lombardozzi and Laudner with no defensive ramifications.

Plus, I've always wondered how many times it took them to get this YouTube video right:

#5 nokomismod

nokomismod

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

I remember my friend turning Bob Ojeda into a sociopathic character whose only goal was to bean every batter. That, and the Twins were almost unstoppable thanks to extreme power in the middle of the lineup plus the ability to sub in Randy Bush and Roy Smalley for Lombardozzi and Laudner with no defensive ramifications.

Plus, I've always wondered how many times it took them to get this YouTube video right:

Crazy! It took me a bit to realize what game they recreated.

#6 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

Was that the one where you had to put in an obnoxiously long code if you wanted to quit and have it save your progress?

I think that was "Baseball Stars" where you could create and develop a player. Don't quote me on that - it has been a long time. The original R.B.I. was MLB players only and with a few franchise teams and the NL and AL All-Star Squads.

#7 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

Yes! I remember RBI baseball. I want to say the one I played had rosters from either 86 or 87. The Twins team was pretty good too if I recall. I liked Oakland's team also with Dave Stewart, Canseco, McGuire, and Ricky leading it off. Eckersly was impossible to hit for 1 inning. That was probably the best video game of all time. If they had it at Rusty Quarters, I would probably drop some coins there.

That was R.B.I., but it was the 2nd one. It had all the teams and was based on the 1989 season. This game was equally as awesome and Eck was the best pitcher on this video game... believe me, I used the A's quite a bit!

#8 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:22 PM

Yeah, I forgot about the substitution dealio. I am not sure if I ever used Lombardozzi because of it.

#9 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

I was also a fan of Bases Loaded. You'd throw one way off to the left, and the catcher's hand would detach from his body to catch the ball.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#10 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

Baseball Stars was the best NES baseball game by a longshot. It offered options other games didn't have for years.

#11 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

"Baseball Stars" was intriguing, but none of the fellas around the hood owned it. One of my buddies borrowed it from his cousin for a month or so and it was pretty cool. It seemed like a game you needed to dig into for a few months to really get into the thick of things.

Last week my friend who borrowed "Baseball Stars" entered a fast food restaurant. Just ahead of him, two men got into an argument. One of them pulled a knife. My friend who would always make the best peace tried to break it up. He was stabbed in the throat. He died almost instantly. Although I haven't seen him in more than ten years I know I'll miss him forever... I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. …does anybody?

#12 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:04 AM

Last week my friend who borrowed "Baseball Stars" entered a fast food restaurant. Just ahead of him, two men got into an argument. One of them pulled a knife. My friend who would always make the best peace tried to break it up. He was stabbed in the throat. He died almost instantly. Although I haven't seen him in more than ten years I know I'll miss him forever... I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. …does anybody?

No, I don't think so. My closest friendships are still the ones I forged in high school or earlier.

#13 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

No, I don't think so. My closest friendships are still the ones I forged in high school or earlier.

I wouldn't know. During my grade 9-12 years I was home schooled by my crazy great uncle who collected porceline dolls and antique blow torches.

#14 nokomismod

nokomismod

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

"Baseball Stars" was intriguing, but none of the fellas around the hood owned it. One of my buddies borrowed it from his cousin for a month or so and it was pretty cool. It seemed like a game you needed to dig into for a few months to really get into the thick of things.

Very sorry to hear that Bark's.

#15 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

That's terrible. Sorry to hear that. And yes, friendships made in one's formative years are totally different and generally stronger than ones made later it seems.

#16 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

[QUOTE=Bark's Lounge;52331][quote name='Brock Beauchamp'][QUOTE=Bark's Lounge;52174]Last week my friend who borrowed "Baseball Stars" entered a fast food restaurant. Just ahead of him, two men got into an argument. One of them pulled a knife. My friend who would always make the best peace tried to break it up. He was stabbed in the throat. He died almost instantly. Although I haven't seen him in more than ten years I know I'll miss him forever... I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. …does anybody?[/QUOTE]

No, I don't think so. My closest friendships are still the ones I forged in high school or earlier.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't know. During my grade 9-12 years I was home schooled by my crazy great uncle who collected porceline dolls and antique blow torches.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for some levity after that!!!

#17 nokomismod

nokomismod

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

I believe you can still play RBI baseball online now (via web browser). I showed it to my son a few years ago. He didn't think it was nearly as cool as I did though.

#18 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

Baseball Stars was the best NES baseball game by a longshot. It offered options other games didn't have for years.

Yes. I have many memories of getting a group of buddies together and making teams and having a league and then losing it all when the game would inexplicably erase everything. That was always devastating. I still bust out the game from time to time, loved the World Powers.

RBI was awesome as well.
Papers...business papers.

#19 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:13 PM

I think that was "Baseball Stars" where you could create and develop a player. Don't quote me on that - it has been a long time. The original R.B.I. was MLB players only and with a few franchise teams and the NL and AL All-Star Squads.

Yep, I have Baseball Stars 1 and 2 for my NES (1 is better than 2). Game was light years ahead of it's time, and is still my favorite baseball game of all time. But no, Baseball Stars didn't have a code, it was battery backup saved, had to go to a special "Quit game" menu to save correctly. Then you hope the battery lasts until the next time you play!

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#20 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,253 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

But no, Baseball Stars didn't have a code, it was battery backup saved, had to go to a special "Quit game" menu to save correctly. Then you hope the battery lasts until the next time you play!

Thankfully emulators have alleviated these problems. :D

#21 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

Man, I loved the original RBI. Versions II and III were not nearly as good to me. Was it the lack of the short, round men? The skinny bats instead of the big ones from the original? I don't know. In college, a bunch of us played quite a bit. We would always randomize which team you played with (no All-Star teams allowed) and always play a 3-game series so that you could only use one starting pitcher in a game (unless you wanted to go the next game with none as the game wouldn't let you use the same guy back-to-back without a reset). There were times when all eight teams were my favorite, and also times where I didn't like to play with each of them. I could go on and on about that game. I haven't probably played in 15 years, but I STILL hum the music fairly often when I'm doing something mindless and repetitive like yardwork or what have you.

#22 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

Baseball Stars wasn't necessarily better than RBI Baseball. Just more evolved. Most of its innovations came from RBI Baseball (defensive play, the different sound on a ball hit immediately after homeruns).

Chris Chambers, kid brother of Eyeball, will be missed.

#23 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

[Chris Chambers, kid brother of Eyeball, will be missed.

Whew... I was starting to feel bad about some of the serious responses. Thanks for getting the "Stand by Me" bit. RBI was the better game.