Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Week in Review: Sinking Ship

brian dozier jose berrios alan busenitz alex kirilloff adalberto mejia
  • Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Puckett34

Puckett34

• Members
  • 1,272 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:14 PM

Man, they could use a 7-0 or 6-1 week. Unfortunately, probably not going to happen.  

The Twins seem to play up to or down on the level of their opponent. So I'll predict that they'll go 1-2 or worse vs the White Sox, 2-1 or better vs the Brew Crew and Cubs.

Keep dangling that carrot.This is how we baseball.

Hit dingers.  Never bunt.

#22 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,183 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:46 PM

I will go to bat for Mejia every time his name comes up in conversation. Struggled with efficiency last year, but still put up a win above replacement, looks great at Rochester this year, is a lefty, and is only 25. I think he has a future on the roster.

Kinda baffled on how the Twins just kind of passed him over this year, Mejia hasn't even been mentioned too often. I find that odd considering he was with the team most of last year, and pitched well as a 24 year-old lefty. The Twins gave up a guy having an All-Star season (Nunez) to get him, seems only right they'd really see what they have with Mejia.

• D.C Twins and BJames like this

#23 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,183 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:47 PM

The Powers that Be just sent Petit down and replaced him with Motter (granted bringing in Belisle was part of that). Point being if they felt Petit was the better choice they presumably they would have found a way to make it work. Not saying they are right, just that Motter over Petit was a choice.

And I wonder why the Powers that Be thought Motter was better? Petit batted .308 in 26 at bats this year. Nobody expected him to be Dustin Pedrioa, he wasn't, but he seemed to at least be able to spot start with efficiency.

Motter's younger and can play OF. But Petit is a better ballplayer. Isn't that the most important thing in the end?

• Twins33, Oldgoat_MN, KGB and 2 others like this

#24 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:54 PM

And I wonder why the Powers that Be thought Motter was better? Petit batted .308 in 26 at bats this year. Nobody expected him to be Dustin Pedrioa, he wasn't, but he seemed to at least be able to spot start with efficiency.

Motter's younger and can play OF. But Petit is a better ballplayer. Isn't that the most important thing in the end?

Usually. But some people get upset when the decisions by the FO get questioned.

#25 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,968 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:26 PM

Kinda baffled on how the Twins just kind of passed him over this year, Mejia hasn't even been mentioned too often. I find that odd considering he was with the team most of last year, and pitched well as a 24 year-old lefty. The Twins gave up a guy having an All-Star season (Nunez) to get him, seems only right they'd really see what they have with Mejia.

In February he was penciled in as the #4 starter and it wasn't out of place. I like that they tried to aim higher with the acquisitions of Odorizzi and Lynn. Unfortunately Odorizzi is falling apart and it makes sense why he was traded for a low level SS prospect.
  • bighat likes this

#26 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:32 PM

Matt Belisle. Wow

Kudos.

Seldom is so much said in so few words.

• D.C Twins likes this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#27 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,980 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:44 PM

Kudos.

Seldom is so much said in so few words.

tl;dnr

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:44 PM

I agree, I thought he'd get a chance to start the season.
But, it was the previous regime that traded for him, so I doubt that investment would have much impact on this regime's plans for him.
  • bighat likes this

#29 gman

gman

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:50 PM

When the year started, I expected to keep an eye certain players in the minors. I just wasn't expecting them to be named Sano, Buxton and Palanco.

Currently there are 10 teams in the American league with better records than the Twins. We could finish better than a couple of them, but passing 6 teams to get into a wild card race will be difficult. Catching Cleveland doesn't look like a too likely option either.

Shopping players for the rest of the season seems the most likely course of action. Unfortunately our record is bad and any tradeable players are causing the win/loss results. Seen too much of this the last 8 years.

They could hold second half auditions for the 2019 roster, but I just as soon they not bring up players until they are truly ready, I've also seen enough failure from our star prospects.

I'll continue to watch minor league baseball and next years draft standings. 

• Oldgoat_MN and bighat like this

#30 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,968 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:57 PM

I agree, I thought he'd get a chance to start the season.
But, it was the previous regime that traded for him, so I doubt that investment would have much impact on this regime's plans for him.

It's reasonable for them to think Odorizzi and Lynn would be better than Mejia.

Mejia was in their plans IMO as a #4/5 starter until they made the late addition of Lynn.
  • Danchat, DocBauer and wsnydes like this

#31 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:49 PM

The Twins needed Petit's roster spot when they signed Belisle (* vomits *) and they had claimed Motter off waivers hoping they could do something with him. The Motter experiment will be over in about a week when Polanco returns, so I don't think there's any merit getting Petit back up here. We can bring him back up if another infielder gets injured.

• Mike Sixel, Sconnie and DocBauer like this

#32 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:58 PM

It's reasonable for them to think Odorizzi and Lynn would be better than Mejia.

Mejia was in their plans IMO as a #4/5 starter until they made the late addition of Lynn.

Lance Lynn had a FIP of 4.82 last year.
I'd have rather had Mejia and the draft pick than Lynn. And that's not hindsight.
  • Oldgoat_MN and D.C Twins like this

#33 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:58 PM

Getting back to the original article.Thank you for a poignant eulogy.

Our collective off-season prayers contained many ifs-- if Dozier, if Polanco, if Buxton, when Santana, if Sano....

I don't want to discuss why the Twins now play without

• their ace
  • their catcher
  • their first baseman
  • their shortstop
  • their third baseman
  • their center fielder,

Instead, again looking back to the offseason prognostications, the pitching staff has done enough such that they have created 6 more wins (based on my preseason analysis using the Pythagorean theorem). 

What I and I think no one would have predicted is Petit, LaMarre, Cave, Motter.

It is no longer the time to rearrange the deck chairs. 

I am open minded to see what the FO can do in this situation.

Requiem aeturum.

#34 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:18 PM

By the way, I looked at the Rochester box scores and Cave didn't play in either game of their double header today. Buxton went 1-8 with 4 KOs.Brutal. Is it possible Cave is on his way to Chicago or is he hurt?

I could be proven wrong as early as tomorrow but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Sano or Buxton before August and don't see Sano in MN at all for the rest of the year. 

Edited by LA VIkes Fan, 25 June 2018 - 07:19 PM.

• Platoon likes this

#35 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:04 PM

In February he was penciled in as the #4 starter and it wasn't out of place. I like that they tried to aim higher with the acquisitions of Odorizzi and Lynn. Unfortunately Odorizzi is falling apart and it makes sense why he was traded for a low level SS prospect.

Your team should always try to get better. We saw some real talent and potential in Mejia last season and I also believed he was penciled in the rotation. But he did struggle putting away hitters at times and some big pitch counts in certain innings. I saw enough to tell me he has enkugh stuff to be a bona fide, quality rotation piece. But they got a decent, solid ML SP in Odorizzi for next to nothing, and Lynn sort of fell in their laps. Me His didn't have a great ST as I recall.

I like Mejia quite a bit, and think at absolute worst, his stuff plays up as a high quality RP. But I think he will get ANOTHER shot, and it might come soon, to give Romero a small breather and conserve his IP.

I'm also a big Gonsalves believer despite a few clunkers this season. I also like Littell's potential, but not sure he's quite ready yet. And while many will argue with me, I like Slegers as well. He could be a perfect fit as a long and swing man. But Mejia and Gonsalves are ahead of those two. And if Romero is going to get a despite, Mejia is the logical next guy up.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#36 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:09 PM

The Twins needed Petit's roster spot when they signed Belisle (* vomits *) and they had claimed Motter off waivers hoping they could do something with him. The Motter experiment will be over in about a week when Polanco returns, so I don't think there's any merit getting Petit back up here. We can bring him back up if another infielder gets injured.

Agreed. Motter is still pretty young. He has talent, potential and versatility. Of course, he also can't hit a lick. And agreed, with Polanco back soon, Motter is pretty much dismissable soon. Maybe nobody claims him and he sticks with Rochester.

But while we're at it, can't we just admit Belisle was a mistake and move on? Can't the FO and ownership just admit they made a mistake, hoping they would get the same guy they had last season but missed on this one? You have arms that need to be auditioned for the rest of this season and next. Just get on with it already!
  • Danchat likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#37 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 902 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:17 AM

. But while we're at it, can't we just admit Belisle was a mistake and move on? Can't the FO and ownership just admit they made a mistake, hoping they would get the same guy they had last season but missed on this one? You have arms that need to be auditioned for the rest of this season and next. Just get on with it already!

Regarding Belisle, not sure where the Twins FO draw the line between performance and mentoring, but somewhere I read quotes form Alan Busenitz talking about how great Belisle is in the clubhouse, blah, blah, blah -- THATS why he is here, right or wrong. You'd hope that sooner or later he'd have to perform.

#38 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,578 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:53 AM

Regarding Belisle, not sure where the Twins FO draw the line between performance and mentoring, but somewhere I read quotes form Alan Busenitz talking about how great Belisle is in the clubhouse, blah, blah, blah -- THATS why he is here, right or wrong. You'd hope that sooner or later he'd have to perform.

I call BS. There are no young players to work with.

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#39 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:59 PM

I call BS. There are no young players to work with.

Well, most of them are young compared to Belisle.

You’ll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

#40 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,578 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:13 PM

Well, most of them are young compared to Belisle.

You’ll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

true, but I doubt Duke and Reed and Gibson and Lynn and Ordorizzi and others I'm forgetting need mentoring.....

There just aren't that many inexperienced, or even young, players on this roster. 

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brian dozier, jose berrios, alan busenitz, alex kirilloff, adalberto mejia