Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: MIN 2, TEX 0: La MaKKKKKKKKKKKKina

jose berrios bobby wilson robbie grossman trevor hildenberger fernando rodney
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,521 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:08 PM

I understand forgiveness and still rooting for a guy that did that in the past, but that should be automatic disqualification from the HOF.

It is.

He won't.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#22 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,854 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:40 AM

Any time Wilson gets a hit, it is a monumental event. If there is an RBI included, one may feel the earth rumble.:go:

No, that's just Bobby rumbling down to first.

Edited by David HK, 25 June 2018 - 12:43 AM.

• h2oface likes this

#23 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,854 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:46 AM

That was a great and gritty performance from Berrios.He was just as advertised- what an arm, and now getting to understand how to "pitch," as well.He's an ace for a long time to come.

Trouble is, every starter now has to live up to those kind of stats if they want a chance to come away with a win.Pitchers will amp up the pressure on themselves not to give anything up, because they know this offence has no chance against anyone of even mediocre quality.

#24 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:40 AM

Taylor Motter approaching, if not exceeding, Bret Boone's 2005 numbers.

Bring back Petit.

I am so confused - why did we bring him in?What is he supposed to do that Petit did not do?This is the team that cut Niko Goodrum and refuses to call up Gordon.It makes no sense. 

#25 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,065 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:23 AM

I am so confused - why did we bring him in?What is he supposed to do that Petit did not do?This is the team that cut Niko Goodrum and refuses to call up Gordon.It makes no sense. 

Niko Goodrum chose to leave. We could have kept him with a 40-man roster spot, but it's worth noting that no one else guaranteed him a 40-man roster spot either, even Detroit.

We brought in Petit because he was willing to come here without a 40-man spot. Then, once we needed him, we added Motter when he was available on waivers because he gave us a potential infield replacement for Petit if we needed to cut him (I believe Petit is out of options, contrary to Roster Resource), and also Motter has outfield experience too -- less need for Grossman/LaMarre?

And while Motter has options, I have to imagine we will likely cut him once Polanco is back, assuming Buxton is back too.

And while it's true that Gordon could have taken one of their roster spots, the way he's hitting at AAA (81 wRC+) suggests you'd need to burn an option on him as soon as Polanco comes back. I'd rather not burn an option on him at age 22 chasing a very unlikely performance, and instead keep his potential options available age 23-25. If Polanco and/or Dozier fail to perform in July, Gordon can still be called up for experience around the trade deadline with no need to burn an option this season.

The only move in this sequence that doesn't make sense is the guy we added when we cut Petit (Belisle), but for reasons that have nothing to do with Petit.

Edited by spycake, 25 June 2018 - 07:25 AM.

• DocBauer likes this

#26 Number3

Number3

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:08 AM

3-3 home stand in the opposite way that it should have happened. They better enjoy the off day today because, if I read the schedule right, they have 20 straight games without a day off starting tomorrow. 8-12 anyone?

#27 JLease

JLease

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:17 AM

Berrios is looking like the ace we've all been hoping for. He's having a great run right now and it's not based on smoke & mirrors. He's 5th in WHIP, 8th in pitching bWAR, 10th in FIP in the AL. The innings are good, great to see him get at least 6 innings in the last 8 starts. In those starts he's only given up more thanruns once. He's had at least 10 Ks three times. Game score over 70 4 times. That's a guy that can lead your staff.

Plus, he's FUN to watch. when that curve is bending and he's hitting his spots...watching guys flail away at it is just a blast. 

• snepp likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, bobby wilson, robbie grossman, trevor hildenberger, fernando rodney