Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins demote Romero

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#1 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:21 PM

A NINTH bullpen arm is necessary despite an off day on Monday.

#2 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:48 PM

The only hope for sanity is they will bring up a bullpen arm for tomorrow’s game, then DFA or DL Belisle for a starter to replace Romero. That still leaves Odorizzi in the rotation for reasons that are a complete mystery given his ERA has been over 9 for his last five or six starts. Today was not an aberration, this is the way he’s pitched for a while now.
  • Blake, Mike Sixel, beckmt and 6 others like this

#3 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:00 PM

W-What? Why? I know Romero hasn't been very good in his past few starts, but not as bad as Odorizzi and why does Belisle need to be on this team? I've usually refrained from saying Falvey/Levine = Terry Ryan but man, we're getting there. Zero trust in these rookies... I guess we'll just lose trotting out the same veterans. Blech.

• Mike Sixel, Twins33, jun and 3 others like this

#4 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,015 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:32 PM

Starting to feel like they're making transactions with an eye towards next year's draft.

#5 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:54 PM

The Twins are far closer to the 4th pick in the draft than to the playoffs.To that end they could have kept Hughes. 

Edited by old nurse, 23 June 2018 - 05:57 PM.

• mikelink45 likes this

#6 twins_89

twins_89

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:05 PM

My guess is Busenizt comes up for tomorrow's game and then Mejia is added later to fill Romero's spot in the rotation (with Belisle waived).

• Carole Keller, birdwatcher, Blake and 9 others like this

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,727 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:20 PM

My guess is Busenizt comes up for tomorrow's game and then Mejia is added later to fill Romero's spot in the rotation (with Belisle waived).

My guess also.
  • LVTwinsfan likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#8 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,968 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:27 PM

I would bet this has to do with limiting his innings.I would consider this the first sign of their intentions this year - it's sell time.We're playing for the future now.

• birdwatcher, howeda7, 70charger and 2 others like this

#9 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:27 PM

Well, it won’t be Slegers who started tonight and most likely not Curtiss who threw 29 pitches yesterday.

#10 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:32 PM

I would bet this has to do with limiting his innings.I would consider this the first sign of their intentions this year - it's sell time.We're playing for the future now.

But if it's about his inning limit, why not move him to the bullpen in the majors? He could be a big help there.

• Sconnie and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#11 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:40 PM

Darren Wolfson is reporting Busenitz is coming up. It's about time.

• beckmt, Sconnie, DocBauer and 3 others like this

#12 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,968 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:41 PM

But if it's about his inning limit, why not move him to the bullpen in the majors? He could be a big help there.

I would imagine they still want him starting, they'll just space him out a bit more over the next few months and we'll see him back after the deadline.  

I'm just speculating though.

• Sconnie and DocBauer like this

#13 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:58 PM

I remember we talked about how they would stop his innings at some point. Some of us  agreed putting him in the BP was a way to do that, but he may have developed some trend that is tipping his pitches or something. Anyway, he will be back.

• gil4, Jham, DocBauer and 2 others like this

#14 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,796 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:11 PM

It's like they're intentionally trying to determine just exactly how far they can go before I stop paying any attention whatsoever.
  • birdwatcher, Thrylos, Blake and 17 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#15 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,630 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:00 PM

1. It wasn't going to be a position player because we only have 1 Infield, 1 Outfield and 1 catching backup. 

On the pitching side: 

2. Like it or not... Belisle was signed to a guaranteed contract. In my opinion... this was a (real) bad decision but since the contract was guaranteed.... The Twins are not going to flush it after only 11 days. Matt will get some additional chances to impress us before they flush it. He wasn't an option. Don't shoot the messenger. 

3. Lynn, Rodney, Reed, Duke, Pressly and Magill would be exposed to waivers if taken off the 25 man. Magill is probably the only guy they could consider exposing to waivers. 

4. Berrios, Gibson, Hildy and Rogers can be sent down but they won't be.

5. This leaves your choices dwindled down to Odorizzi as the only reasonable (for front offices) option besides Romero. Odorizzi could be demoted penalty free. He has options left and has not reached 5 full years of service time and in my opinion... Odorizzi has been much worse than Romero for a significant stretch. Romero hasn't been horrible... Odorizzi has.

6. I believe that Romero was only supposed to be up for a taste of the big leagues. A Bridge between Hughes going away and Santana arriving. He started fantastic and Santana took to long to come back. So he may have over stayed the carefully laid plan. 

So why was Romero chosen? 

Conclusion: Eventual innings limit could be a factor but if they stop the service time accumulation in what might be a lost season. Romero can start with the big club on opening day 2019 and avoid Super-Two status down the road.I know that some don't care much for service time rules or decisions based upon them but... all 30 teams consider them and consider them heavily. 

Not to be dramatic... But... It's quite possible that we won't see Romero in the big leagues again until opening day 2019. 

Not to be dramatic but the front office MAY... May... may...in my opinion of course... may have pulled the plug with this move. If they thought they were still in contention. They probably hang on to Romero since he has been (while not perfect)... better.  

Not to be dramatic again... but my guess is that Dozier, Escobar, Morrison, Lynn, Duke and Santana are now officially on the trading block.  

Drama!!!:)

• glunn, Blake, Sconnie and 5 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#16 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,060 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:09 PM

2. Like it or not... Belisle was signed to a guaranteed contract. In my opinion... this was a (real) bad decision but since the contract was guaranteed.... The Twins are not going to flush it after only 11 days.

I think Cleveland is on the hook for Belisle's salary, less the minimum while he is on our roster. I think we could release him with nothing further owed.
  • Carole Keller, ashburyjohn, glunn and 4 others like this

#17 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:16 PM

If the Twins trade Lynn and Santana that would presumably put Romero back in the rotation, would it not? Sure, there’s Mejia and Slegers. But it’s also pretty likely neither of those two would stick until the end of the season.

#18 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,796 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:20 PM

I think Cleveland is on the hook for Belisle's salary, less the minimum while he is on our roster. I think we could release him with nothing further owed.

Either way, BaseballRef tells me he's on a 1.5 mil deal. Less than a mil left.

If that is driving this decision, we can no longer take the Twins seriously.
  • Blake, Mike Sixel, Danchat and 4 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#19 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:20 PM

I do not like it.Nothing to do with limiting innings, nothing to do with sabremetrics.Romero is now part of the rotation and should stay there.Why have anyone on the bench - lets just fill it with bullpen pitchers.I am not sure what is happening to MLB.

• wavedog likes this

#20 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:23 PM

If the Twins trade Lynn and Santana that would presumably put Romero back in the rotation, would it not? Sure, there’s Mejia and Slegers. But it’s also pretty likely neither of those two would stick until the end of the season.

Trade Santana? He still isn't throwing sliders, last I read.
He has no value to anyone anytime soon.
  • Oldgoat_MN and Battle ur tail off like this