Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Bobby Wilson

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:12 PM

How much longer is the team going to continue to trot out a 35 year old catcher hitting .138?It makes zero sense and I get that there is almost no catching talent in this organization from top to bottom, but lets start by giving Willians Astudillo a shot.He is hitting in the minor leagues, with a career AAA average of over 300 and has hit 7 home runs this season.He can't be any worse.If he fails then lets give someone else a try.  

I have absolutely no concept why the team continues to play some of the non-entities it does.

• brvama and jun like this

#2 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:35 PM

My guess at the concept is that they value his defense and experience and feel that is a better complement as a back up to Garver.

I am not sure I agree but also acknowledge that I have no way to fully assess his contribution beyond his track record of poor hitting.
  • 70charger likes this

#3 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:36 PM

And while we are at it, why would the Twins organization have any interest in a player like Taylor Motter?I get that a major league roster needs bodies, but what possible value does he serve?Motter is a career .196 hitter in almost 400 plate appearances.Motter was hitting .167 in Rochester.  

This is the best we have available in our minor league system?  

If you look at our AAA roster, it is pathetic.

Nick Buss 31 years old.239 average649 OBS

Chris Carter31 years old189 average 757 OPS

Jermaine Curtis30 years old200 average 605 OPS

Tyler Featherstone28 years old168 average548 OPS

Taylor MOtter (now up with the big leagues)167 average 565 OPS

James Ramsey28 years old240 average572 OPS

Leonardo Regginatto28 years old 197 average530 OPS

Cameron Rupp29 years old171 average543 OPS

Brock Strassi28 years old211 average 632 OPS

Kennys Vargas 27 years old217 average 640 OPS

Bobby Wilson 35 years old125 average332 OPS(NO WONDER HE WAS CALLED UP WITH SO MUCH SUCCESS).

Our AAA affililate has exactly 6 position players 25 years of age or younger:Jake Cave, Nick Gordon, Zach Granite, Jimmy Kerrigan, Sean Miller, and Lamonte Wade.(Other than Sano and Buxton).

The entire team has 3 players with at least a 250 batting average and 700 OPS:Jake Cave, Willians Astudillo, and Wynston Sawyer.

The entire roster has one young prospect in Gordon a marginal prospect in Wade, and a fringe guy like Granite. Almost the entire roster should be released, but then they would not field a AAA team.This is really a major problem for this team and the current FO bears a lot of responsibility for this debacle.  

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel and jun like this

#4 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:36 PM

My guess at the concept is that they value his defense and experience and feel that is a better complement as a back up to Garver.

I am not sure I agree but also acknowledge that I have no way to fully assess his contribution beyond his track record of poor hitting.

I think our pitchers would hit better. 

• jun likes this

#5 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:01 AM

And while we are at it, why would the Twins organization have any interest in a player like Taylor Motter? I get that a major league roster needs bodies, but what possible value does he serve? Motter is a career .196 hitter in almost 400 plate appearances. Motter was hitting .167 in Rochester.

This is the best we have available in our minor league system?

If you look at our AAA roster, it is pathetic.

Nick Buss 31 years old. 239 average 649 OBS
Chris Carter 31 years old 189 average 757 OPS
Jermaine Curtis 30 years old 200 average 605 OPS
Tyler Featherstone 28 years old 168 average 548 OPS
Taylor MOtter (now up with the big leagues) 167 average 565 OPS
James Ramsey 28 years old 240 average 572 OPS
Leonardo Regginatto 28 years old 197 average 530 OPS
Cameron Rupp 29 years old 171 average 543 OPS
Brock Strassi 28 years old 211 average 632 OPS
Kennys Vargas 27 years old 217 average 640 OPS
Bobby Wilson 35 years old 125 average 332 OPS (NO WONDER HE WAS CALLED UP WITH SO MUCH SUCCESS).

Our AAA affililate has exactly 6 position players 25 years of age or younger: Jake Cave, Nick Gordon, Zach Granite, Jimmy Kerrigan, Sean Miller, and Lamonte Wade. (Other than Sano and Buxton).

The entire team has 3 players with at least a 250 batting average and 700 OPS: Jake Cave, Willians Astudillo, and Wynston Sawyer.

The entire roster has one young prospect in Gordon a marginal prospect in Wade, and a fringe guy like Granite. Almost the entire roster should be released, but then they would not field a AAA team. This is really a major problem for this team and the current FO bears a lot of responsibility for this debacle.

That’s really not unusual at AAA. AAA is for MLB replacements. Genuine prospects usually don’t spend much time there on the way up. Therefore, you wouldn’t expect to see more than 3 or maybe 4 prospects in AAA. It just so happens that most of the Twins prospects at AAA are pitchers: Gonsalves, Littell and Moya being the others in addition to Gordon and the borderline Wade. There are others there who may or may not come up and be able to help. But I generally stop calling someone a prospect if they are over 25. Like Bard, Busenitz, Slegers, et al.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 23 June 2018 - 06:01 AM.

• Danchat likes this

#6 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 12:07 PM

That’s really not unusual at AAA. AAA is for MLB replacements. Genuine prospects usually don’t spend much time there on the way up. Therefore, you wouldn’t expect to see more than 3 or maybe 4 prospects in AAA. It just so happens that most of the Twins prospects at AAA are pitchers: Gonsalves, Littell and Moya being the others in addition to Gordon and the borderline Wade. There are others there who may or may not come up and be able to help. But I generally stop calling someone a prospect if they are over 25. Like Bard, Busenitz, Slegers, et al.

While I get that, our AAA roster is not filled with MLB replacements.It has nothing.And you can make all the excuses for the FO on this you want,but our AAA roster is nothing but pathetic.Their concept of how to rebuild this team is pathetic.I get we had a fluke year last season, just like we did in 2015.But pretending we are contenders does not make us a contender, and these pretenses has hindered our rebuild for years now.

Frankly, I don't care much anymore.A team that brings up a Taylor Motter instead of Nick Gordon just does not have that much appeal.  

#7 jun

jun

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:58 PM

Motter, Wilson, LaMarre and Belisle all need to be released. Morrison is a bench bat at most. They are like cancer to the team.

Edited by jun, 23 June 2018 - 02:06 PM.

#8 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:57 PM

LaMarre has turned out "OK" as a signing. Petit contributed a little. Wilson was solid for the Rochester roster, and an emergency catcher of someone needed a week on the DL. But his by no means a depth solution.

Maybe Goodrum wanted to move on, but I thought letting him leave was a big mistake. Really disappointed the FO didn't pony up for a couple more solid AAAA guys considering the best position players in the system were AA and lower.

What was Rupp signed for? Wouldn't he be an improvement over Wilson?

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#9 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,292 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:02 PM

And yet, this hasfront office not used AAA that way. Nearly every prospect the have promoted has gone thru there. And I'm not sure this is accurate, or one of those urban myths. And if it is for MLB replacements, why aren't there any?

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#10 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:22 PM

And yet, this hasfront office not used AAA that way. Nearly every prospect the have promoted has gone thru there. And I'm not sure this is accurate, or one of those urban myths. And if it is for MLB replacements, why aren't there any?

All of the MLB replacements are pitchers in AAA for us. Ryan LaMarre, Taylor Motter, and probably Robbie Grossman should be playing in AAA as potential replacements.