Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Shipley: Ryan Discusses Slama

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

http://www.twincitie...ar-luis-perdomo

Pioneer Press's John Shipley asked GM Terry Ryan about why Anthony Slama was not promoted.

[FONT=Georgia] Leaving Slama off the roster was particularly perplexing to fans who have been paying attention to the reliever the past few seasons.
[/FONT][FONT=Georgia]"I understand that," Ryan said. "That's because they see the numbers."[/FONT]

There is some more, but I don't want to copy the whole article. Go read it. It only takes a minute... Here is one more quote from the article:

[FONT=Georgia]"His statistical line is very, very impressive," Ryan said. "I know that, and I certainly took that into consideration. We know a lot more about Anthony Slama than we do Perdomo, to be quite frank. It's just like bringing up Escobar instead of (Brian) Dozier. We need to know something about some of these guys."[/FONT]

#2 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

I would think we know enough about Perdomo.
Papers...business papers.

#3 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,838 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

I appreciate that Shipley asked the questions.But the problem, Mr. Ryan, is that Slama EARNED a look BEFORE he was injured. And then came back from his injury and kept on earning it.What a bunch of B.S.

#4 Jesse Bacon

Jesse Bacon

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

Also, a) it isn't punishment to not promote everyone who didn't get injured if they suck. and B) couldn't you call up like 13 more people if you wanted to? and c) Will Slama get his shot in MN or is someone going to Rule V him?

#5 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

It all goes back to what Ryan said about calling up players that "earned" it based on waht they did in AAA and AA. I wish Shipley would have asked him how Escobar "earned" it but Slama didn't. But reporters around here don't like pressing for more answers so...

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

It's a good thing we all got to know so much about Jeff Gray.

#7 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,264 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

It's a good thing we all got to know so much about Jeff Gray.

His first 88 innings in the majors weren't putrid enough, they had to see him with their own eyes.....for an extended duration.

#8 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

I'm shocked that the free Slama crowd didn't appreciate Ryan's reasoning.

#9 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,309 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

Ok. This is one of the things that Ryan said:

"How many people are you going to bring up? But I do understand that (Slama's) stat line is pretty impressive. He'll get his chance."

this sounds like a promise. If Slama is not at least invited in 2013 ST, Ryan lied. (of course if Ryan is still the GM) We shall see.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

shocking, isn't it?! :) I understand all of what he said, for sure. However, if the Twins are going with 6 starters most of the rest of the way, may be good to have another arm. Perdomo definitely deserves the promotion. He was very good in AA and AAA this year.

I understand all given reasons. I do. I just think that Slama should be with the Twins.

#11 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

I think I am in the majority when I say:

WTF

#12 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

When his reasoning is based on fallacies, I think its more shocking that anyone WOULD appreciate his reasoning

#13 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

Ryan's mention of Slama getting his chance sounded like the GM was implying he was planning on adding Slama to the 40-man. I'm suspicious that he will, but that slick-tounged good ol' boy did make a couple of convincing points. With his injury history, including recently, it may benefit Slama to end his season now. Also, while he didn't come out and say it, his remark about how the fans only see the numbers may have been his passive way of saying what many have said before. His lack of movement and lack of velocity may not play well in the majors. If he came right out and said just that I'd respect the honesty more, but even so, there's still only one way to find out if his stuff translates to this level.

Edited by nicksaviking, 04 September 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#14 silverslugger

silverslugger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

The fact that Slama was out for a few months with a NON-PITCHING related injury is actually an argument for bringing him up and seing what he has. I'm at a loss for trying to understand how promoting Slama would be negative to the others. Promote them all and give them all innings. Finally, numbers simply don't lie. The numbers Twins pitchers have put up in the majors this year have been PUTRID. I guess I'm still perplexed.

Edited by silverslugger, 04 September 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#15 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

B) couldn't you call up like 13 more people if you wanted to? ?

One could almost infer there's a, um...financial implication to the skimpy number of callups, no?

But to believe that might be a factor, one would have to conclude the Twins are more interested in making good money than in making good baseball decisions.

#16 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

Who cares, he will get his shot in 2013, bringing up everyone to be a part of a 10+ man bullpen isn't exactly a solution to get him a bunch of innings, is 4-5 IP in September really going to make some huge difference?

Also yes, he is dominating AAA, but he is 28, and I'm sure the Twins know his stuff quite well, I know its beyond a SSS but in the majors he does have 7 walks in 7 innings, perhaps he just lacks big league stuff.

Reminds me of another guy who "dominated" AAA who fans freaked out about "not given a chance" his name is Kevin Slowey and is currently posting a lightning hot 5.14 ERA in AAA for the Indians.

Can Slama potentially be an asset in the majors? Sure, why not. But its more likely as a 6th/7th guy then a set up/closer type.

#17 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

One could almost infer there's a, um...financial implication to the skimpy number of callups, no?

But to believe that might be a factor, one would have to conclude the Twins are more interested in making good money than in making good baseball decisions.

Why on earth would it make sense to call up another 13 guys? You basically then set up your team to have 10 or so guys on the squad who won't see anything more than an inning or two on the mound, or 5-10 at bats. And yes, that would be a waste of money, not only in salary, but hotels, seats on a charter flight, room in the clubhouse etc etc

I imagine if the Twins were in the playoff hunt they would have called up a couple more guys, perhaps a guy like Hicks with the sole reason to be a defensive replacement/PR. However, there is zero reason to start the clocks of more guys then needed.

#18 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

Ok. This is one of the things that Ryan said:

"How many people are you going to bring up? But I do understand that (Slama's) stat line is pretty impressive. He'll get his chance."

this sounds like a promise. If Slama is not at least invited in 2013 ST, Ryan lied. (of course if Ryan is still the GM) We shall see.

Ryan already lied once when he said September call ups would be people that EARNED it. No reason to believe him this time

#19 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,838 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

I had a similar thought. Just how cheap can Terry Ryan get?

#20 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

His lack of movement and lack of velocity may not play well in the majors. If he came right out and said just that I'd respect the honesty more, but even so, there's still only one way to find out if his stuff translates to this level.........

....and can anyone conceive of a better time to find out how it translates- than the last 27 games of the MLB season- especially considering there's an open spot available on the 40-man?

#21 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

[quote name='SpiritofVodkaDave'][quote name='USAFChief'][quote name='Jesse Bacon'] B) couldn't you call up like 13 more people if you wanted to? ?[/QUOTE]

But to believe that might be a factor, one would have to conclude the Twins are more interested in making good money than in making good baseball decisions.[/QUOTE]

Why on earth would it make sense to call up another 13 guys? You basically then set up your team to have 10 or so guys on the squad who won't see anything more than an inning or two on the mound, or 5-10 at bats. And yes, that would be a waste of money, not only in salary, but hotels, seats on a charter flight, room in the clubhouse etc etc

I imagine if the Twins were in the playoff hunt they would have called up a couple more guys, perhaps a guy like Hicks with the sole reason to be a defensive replacement/PR. However, there is zero reason to start the clocks of more guys then needed.[/QUOTE]

The point, Dave, is that there isn't some reason why bringing up Perdomo means you can't also bring up Slama--other than having to put him on the 40 man (which is at 39), and of course...you'd have to pay him.

BTW, you're not really going to bring up service time with Slama, are you? One post after telling us he's 28 with a top end of "6th/7th guy"?

Sheesh.

#22 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

[quote name='USAFChief'][quote name='SpiritofVodkaDave'][quote name='USAFChief'][quote name='Jesse Bacon'] B) couldn't you call up like 13 more people if you wanted to? ?[/QUOTE]

But to believe that might be a factor, one would have to conclude the Twins are more interested in making good money than in making good baseball decisions.[/QUOTE]

I imagine if the Twins were in the playoff hunt they would have called up a couple more guys, perhaps a guy like Hicks with the sole reason to be a defensive replacement/PR. However, there is zero reason to start the clocks of more guys then needed.[/QUOTE]

The point, Dave, is that there isn't some reason why bringing up Perdomo means you can't also bring up Slama--other than having to put him on the 40 man (which is at 39), and of course...you'd have to pay him.

BTW, you're not really going to bring up service time with Slama, are you? One post after telling us he's 28 with a top end of "6th/7th guy"?

Sheesh.[/QUOTE]
The Service time issue was more along the lines of "They would bring up Hicks to PR/Defense" Of course it isn't an issue with a guy like Slama

I imagine with a guy like Perdomo they are figuring out if he will even be part of the organization heading into next year, same with Gray (SIGHHHHHHHH) that is why they are getting innings now, Slama will be around in 2013 and will get his shot(s)

#23 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

I think this accounts for the failure to make any waiver deals when there were plenty of pick-ups available at little cost- except the cost of absorbing the contract. This is yet more suggestive evidence that the decision was made internally sometime after the Marquis/Capps/Pavano/Baker fiascos became realities and followed by Liriano's dump-off trade, that absolutely no more money was to be added to the 2012 payroll.

#24 Jim H

Jim H

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

It sort of seems that right now everyone wants to bash the Twins front office, particularly Ryan whether there is a good reason or not. I can certainly see the need to look at Perdomo and Escobar. Perdomo throws harder than Slama and seems to have more compelling stuff. The principle weakness of both is control. Since 40 man roster spots could be at a premium this winter, it probably makes sense to look at the guy you know less about. Perdomo is probably fighting for one of those spots.

Escobar is supposed to be a premium defender. I think it is probably important to be sure that is true at the major league level. Whether or not he is a starter likely depends on his bat, but you won't be able to determine that with a September callup. Especially with a 22 year old. I think calling up Dozier right now, especially if he won't play, is counter productive.

So yes, lets get Escobar and Perdomo some playing time, maybe they will be part of the future for the Twins. Maybe it can be determined that they can't be. More likely it will be somewhere in between. I suspect the Twins have watched both Dozier and Slama pretty closely the last few years. They should have a pretty good idea what their ceilings are, and what they need to do to reach them. Hopefully they can figure out the same things about Escobar and Perdomo.

#25 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

When his reasoning is based on fallacies, I think its more shocking that anyone WOULD appreciate his reasoning

Like night follows day, it seems the willing apologists (they know who they are) always appreciate the Twins FO faulty reasoning

#26 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

[quote name='jokin'][quote name='clutterheart'][quote name='gunnarthor']I'm shocked that the free Slama crowd didn't appreciate Ryan's reasoning.[/QUOTE]

When his reasoning is based on fallacies, I think its more shocking that anyone WOULD appreciate his reasoning[/QUOTE]

Like night follows day, it seems the willing apologists (they know who they are) always appreciate the Twins FO faulty reasoning[/QUOTE]

Or perhaps some of us actually look at every issue seperately and don't jump down the throat of the FO over every single move.
Ryan has had his faults this year no doubt, but to try to make him out to be some incompetent GM is ridiculous, his track record/success on his first go around speaks for itself.

Besides, its Anthony freaking Slama, not a guy like Parmelee.

#27 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

It sort of seems that right now everyone wants to bash the Twins front office, particularly Ryan whether there is a good reason or not. I can certainly see the need to look at Perdomo and Escobar. Perdomo throws harder than Slama and seems to have more compelling stuff. The principle weakness of both is control. Since 40 man roster spots could be at a premium this winter, it probably makes sense to look at the guy you know less about. Perdomo is probably fighting for one of those spots.

Escobar is supposed to be a premium defender. I think it is probably important to be sure that is true at the major league level. Whether or not he is a starter likely depends on his bat, but you won't be able to determine that with a September callup. Especially with a 22 year old. I think calling up Dozier right now, especially if he won't play, is counter productive.

So yes, lets get Escobar and Perdomo some playing time, maybe they will be part of the future for the Twins. Maybe it can be determined that they can't be. More likely it will be somewhere in between. I suspect the Twins have watched both Dozier and Slama pretty closely the last few years. They should have a pretty good idea what their ceilings are, and what they need to do to reach them. Hopefully they can figure out the same things about Escobar and Perdomo.

None of this has anything to do with also giving Slama a look.

#28 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

So Slama isn't up because he's "just" putting up a great statline? And here I thought performance on the field was important.....

This is just really flimsy reasoning. Pretty frustrating to hear that this is the best the Twins can do explaining this non-move. We've had an array of horse-crap arms filling our 11th-13th spots on this roster for most of the year. We can't take a look at this 28 year old in the last month? That just stinks of stubborn stupidity.

#29 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,309 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

As far as 40 man roster spots go:

there is one open
moving Capps to the 60 day DL will open another
moving Span to the 60 day DL will open another

So it is not like there is no flexibility left there
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#30 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

[COLOR=#333333]It sort of seems that right now everyone wants to bash the Twins front office, particularly Ryan whether there is a good reason or not.[/COLOR]

change that to always.

There's room in the bullpen and on the roster to get a look at both Slama and Perdomo. Just how many looks do we need to get at the Manship's of the system.