Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/20): Mejia Makes Statement Start

adalberto mejia alex robles trevor casanova aaron whitefield byron buxton
  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,551 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 10:20 AM

I'm usually not too high on guys coming out of independent ball, but Tyler Palm could be worth keeping an eye on as a late bloomer. Went to a small school in MI, a small college in MI, then played in a small independent league in MI. Only 23 and stands 6-8, and added 4 mph to his average fastball in the past year.

Small school guys from the Midwest sometimes need extra time to develop, and tall young pitchers have mechanical issues that need cleaning up more often than not. No walks in his first start are, well...a good start!

6-9 with a fastball that reaches 93-94... well worth taking a shot. 

• Ben Noble and caninatl04 like this

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,551 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

Was somewhat sad to see the Twins cut ties with Featherston. He had a great spring. But when you slump in AAA ball and there are better prospects in the wind....yet the Twins advanced Motter who was hitting the same at AAA. And who can explain the call of Bobby Wilson. Of course, both have major league experience, which always means that the professional AAAA guys have a much harder road to follow to get to the majors.

In large part because they aren't on the 40-man roster. Motter can play 6 positions. Featherston can play 3 positions. I mean, that''s an easy choice. What they really did was pick Reginnato over Featherston. 

Bobby Wilson was a terrific minor league signing. Obviously they were hoping Castro stayed healthy and Wilson would still be at Rochester, but he didn't'. 

#23 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:17 AM

It's been mentioned, but the pitching depth is not something we're accustomed to.  I'm not going to drag any names from the past through the mud now, but if Gonsalves is currently our "number 9" starter, I like the Twins' chances of withstanding a war of attrition with Cleveland.  Ditto with the bullpen.  And while I'm not on the promote-them-now bandwagon, Gordon and Wade offer some decent depth on the position side, albeit unproven.  Its just that pesky catcher position that seems to be wanting.

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,551 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:26 AM

Now-Official Moves:

Alex Kirilloff promoted to Ft. Myers. Ben Rodriguez activated from the Cedar Rapids DL.

Jaylin Davis promoted from Ft. Myers to Chattanooga.

Edgar Corcino promoted from Chattanooga to Rochester. 

• Vanimal46, caninatl04 and HrbekRules like this

#25 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:28 AM

And after a couple of E-town games, its ready to start my "Is he Angel Morales or is he Eddie Rosario" watch with a whole bunch of different players.

#26 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:51 AM

Where does Sano rank on the Top Prospects list?

#27 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,551 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:53 AM

And after a couple of E-town games, its ready to start my "Is he Angel Morales or is he Eddie Rosario" watch with a whole bunch of different players.

I love this line!! 

Rosario was amazing, but Morales was just as great and just as young. That said, lets' check in two months to see how many fit into that category. 

I think only De La Torre and Severino are that young. 

#28 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,551 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:55 AM

Where does Sano rank on the Top Prospects list?

Not eligible... he surpassed his "rookie" status in 2015. But if he were a prospect still, Id' put him at #3 (behind Lewis and Graterol). 

#29 HrbekRules

HrbekRules

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • Location1991

Posted 21 June 2018 - 12:54 PM

Seth, any ideas if Lewis is getting moved up yet?

#30 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:59 PM

Like those shiny new things do you? Odorizzi will be back next season. Lynn is the tough call because we can't give him a qualifying offer and is too valuable an asset to simple allow to walk. I believe we will trade him at the deadline for back of the pen help.

It is not that I hate having these two, but with pitchers ready to step in, it is an opportunity to get some return on our investment and keep building for the future.I would add Dozier if he starts to heat up.

#31 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,261 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:51 PM

Oof, if they're going to trade him for 'back of the pen help', then they need to just keep him.

I think some people use "back of the pen" to describe the best relievers on a team. Here is a recent article on the Kelvin Herrera trade that does so:

https://sports.yahoo...-021959562.html

To me, it sounds more like the worst, so I just avoid the phrase entirely.

#32 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,551 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:00 PM

Not yet.

As in, ,he's' not moving up yet.

#33 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:52 PM

And, at the risk of restoking the anger of the "who cares, they're only a bunch of 16 year olds" crowd, the DSL Twins are off to an amazing start and are really hitting the cover off the ball with a team BA north of .300

I believe a few of last year's DSL Twins are now state-side.

#34 nmcowboy

nmcowboy

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:57 PM

Not Lewis, but it has been announced Kirilloff has moved up:https://www.cbssport...oted-to-high-a/

#35 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 09:53 AM

An impressive start! Maybe it's time to swap Mejia for Romero in the big league rotation?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adalberto mejia, alex robles, trevor casanova, aaron whitefield, byron buxton